A day in the life of a fuel boat...

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I liked this as I do all of Davids vlogs... I did wonder though the process of paying for this - do they take card/internet payment or is it cash only?

All the fuel boats we've used take BACS payments. They give us their bank details and trust us to pay them via internet banking. Most of them take cards too but prefer the BACS method as it's cheaper for them.

6 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

All the fuel boats we've used take BACS payments. They give us their bank details and trust us to pay them via internet banking. Most of them take cards too but prefer the BACS method as it's cheaper for them.

Agreed. We use Jules fuels (Ryan's bote) and internet banking is good.

32 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

It's some years since we have found one not providing card payment. Not that difficult and increasingly competitive - cash costs quite a bit at a business level and fuel is one of the low margin goods which need to keep transaction costs low. If all of their sales were cash then they would have to pay it into a bank (expensive) as the fuel wholesaler will not accept cash, I suspect.

7 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

posted twice already.

Unfortunately (Or fortunately even!) I don't spend every waking hour on here and do not read every single post so if I missed it and it has been posted twice before I would say others think it must be a good watch too.  Which actually it is.

Perhaps somebody could merge the relevant threads?

Happy boating!!

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

It's some years since we have found one not providing card payment. Not that difficult and increasingly competitive - cash costs quite a bit at a business level and fuel is one of the low margin goods which need to keep transaction costs low. If all of their sales were cash then they would have to pay it into a bank (expensive) as the fuel wholesaler will not accept cash, I suspect.

My business account (NatWest) charges 0.7% for depositing cash and £0.70 to deposit a cheque and £0.35 for a BACS so it very much depends on the size of the transaction as to which is the most economical method.

With a typical amount of £2000 it costs me £14 to deposit the cash (not many non-business people appreciate this)

I have started taking cash, depositing it in my personal account and every now and again make out a personal cheque to the company and only paying 70p for depositing £20,000

There is also a minimum £5 per month charge for the benefit of letting them hold your money for you.

Standard tariff – your service charge
Transaction type description Standard tariff
Automated payments (in or out) £0.35 per item
Cash payments (in or out) £0.70 per £100
Manual payments (in or out) £0.70 per item
Minimum charge: £5 per account, per monthly
charging period.

We don’t charge you a monthly account fee
unless your transaction charges are less than £5.
For example: Your transactional activity for the
month is two standing orders at £0.35 each and
£0.70 in total. As your transaction charges for
the month don’t exceed the minimum monthly
charge, you’ll be charged £5.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My business account (NatWest) charges 0.7% for depositing cash and £0.70 to deposit a cheque and £0.35 for a BACS so it very much depends on the size of the transaction as to which is the most economical method.

With a typical amount of £2000 it costs me £14 to deposit the cash (not many non-business people appreciate this)

I have started taking cash, depositing it in my personal account and every now and again make out a personal cheque to the company and only paying 70p for depositing £20,000

There is also a minimum £5 per month charge for the benefit of letting them hold your money for you.

Standard tariff – your service charge
Transaction type description Standard tariff
Automated payments (in or out) £0.35 per item
Cash payments (in or out) £0.70 per £100
Manual payments (in or out) £0.70 per item
Minimum charge: £5 per account, per monthly
charging period.

We don’t charge you a monthly account fee
unless your transaction charges are less than £5.
For example: Your transactional activity for the
month is two standing orders at £0.35 each and
£0.70 in total. As your transaction charges for
the month don’t exceed the minimum monthly
charge, you’ll be charged £5.

That is why my son uses a private account, The bank says you should have a business account and he replies  "Do you want me to bank here or somewhere else" It works well for him. They have even given him his personal "Bank Manager" to talk to

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Unfortunately (Or fortunately even!) I don't spend every waking hour on here and do not read every single post so if I missed it and it has been posted twice before I would say others think it must be a good watch too.  Which actually it is.

Perhaps somebody could merge the relevant threads?

Happy boating!!

apology accepted... :)