Wireless reversing camera for the bow

blackrose

Featured Posts

This has probably been posted before. I may have even posted it myself previously but can't remember now!

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one of these things and putting the camera at the bow of the boat so I can see what's going on up front as I'm single handed on a big boat. I've never really had a problem before but it's difficult to judge exactly how for the bow is from lock gates or the river bank when turning around, plus after last summer's cruise on the Nene it would be nice to have an extra eye at the bow to see what's coming around those countless overgrown bends. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K85V3SX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EPrvEbCSFM21D

There are some cheaper and also more expensive versions, probably of varying quality. My thoughts were to attach the camera permanently and wire it into the feed for the tunnel light/horn and find a detachable feed at the helm for the monitor. Just wondering if they would have to be within line of sight to see each other wirelessly, which would mean they'd both need to be mounted on the roof rather than lower down with the monitor on the control pedestal for example (cruiser stern) ?

Edited by blackrose

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't they only work when you engage reverse ?

Surely a simple dashcam type thing would work ?

Yes they only work when you engage reverse if that's how you wire then up to a road vehicle, but I don't think you have to connect them like that. You can have the monitor on permanently if you want.

I thought dashcams were all in one units or do some have separate cameras which connect wirelessly to the monitor?

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

This has probably been posted before. I may have even posted it myself previously but can't remember now!

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one of these things and putting the camera at the bow of the boat so I can see what's going on up front as I'm single handed on a big boat. I've never really had a problem before but it's difficult to judge exactly how for the bow is from lock gates or the river bank when turning around, plus after last summer's cruise on the Nene it would be nice to have an extra eye at the bow to see what's coming around those countless overgrown bends. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K85V3SX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EPrvEbCSFM21D

There are some cheaper and also more expensive versions, probably of varying quality. My thoughts were to attach the camera permanently and wire it into the feed for the tunnel light/horn and find a detachable feed at the helm for the monitor. Just wondering if they would have to be within line of sight to see each other wirelessly, which would mean they'd both need to be mounted on the roof rather than lower down with the monitor on the control pedestal for example (cruiser stern) ?

I installed one on Innisfree at the end of the cratch ridge board, powered from tunnel light but it was ten years ago and a suitable cheap  viewing  screen was difficult to achieve, now they are much better and work with smartphones. 

A baby monitor might be ok, especially the ones that can be swivelled remotely. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

You will need a Digital one as the quality of the analogue is poor and they suffer a lot from interference. Lorry/caravan ones may have the wireless range, car ones although they state x metres will usually only work over 3 or 4 metres max. Not all cameras are adequatly cooled to be run continously as they are built for intermmitant reversing. The displays are quite good these days, but like all screens not very visible in sunlight best viewed in the shade.  Have you thought of CCTV kit which often has better range and bigger screens (still need shade) and camera's designed to be always on.

4 hours ago, pearley said:

The monitor yes but not the camera.

And the monitor would be taken into the boat after use. I'm pretty much a fair weather boater anyway so wouldn't need to cover it.

4 hours ago, Detling said:

You will need a Digital one as the quality of the analogue is poor and they suffer a lot from interference. Lorry/caravan ones may have the wireless range, car ones although they state x metres will usually only work over 3 or 4 metres max. Not all cameras are adequatly cooled to be run continously as they are built for intermmitant reversing. The displays are quite good these days, but like all screens not very visible in sunlight best viewed in the shade.  Have you thought of CCTV kit which often has better range and bigger screens (still need shade) and camera's designed to be always on.

I thought everything was digital these days? Yes I had thought about the wireless range, so I'll look for a truck unit. Do digital cameras produce a lot of heat?

Edited by blackrose

We had one fitted but it wasn't much of a success because the screen is very hard to see in daylight. Also a reversing camera set up shows everything the wrong way round - luckily our supplier realised this and supplied the set up designed for monitoring horses in a horse box.

We (ie my son) fitted one three years ago when we first got our boat. It was only any use in locks as whatever screen we used was poor if sunny. Yes it helped see where the front gate was but it didnt take me too long to gauge where the front of the boat was and by the time we removed it after the first summer, I didnt miss it at all. Ours is a 63 ft boat and not difficult at all to gauge the length.

One big problem is that you will start focussing on the screen to look at the detail which stops you looking 'around' hence you loose your boating skills.

If they worked well, everyone would have one!

2 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I want one (two actually) to be able to see around Barbridge Junction (single handing).

I think precognition would serve you better there. From my limited experience it makes little difference what you do, long horn blast, crew on the bow as lookout, some numpty will still come steaming in as you're part under the bridge :(

My last experience round that neck of the woods was some bloke in hi-vis launching slices of mouldy bread "for the ducks" off the bridge by the Old Barbridge Inn without looking as we were passing, two landed on the boat and one down the hatch. He got quite upset when we shouted at him. Bread was so mouldy it erupted in a cloud of green dust as it landed.

back to the topic, some of these cameras have a quite wide if not almost fish-eye lens, so i'd be wary of that giving you a false sense of things also

I've used a £8 rear view camera off eBay on my trawler. It's not really needed but as the chart plotter has an input for a camera it seems worth having it. Saves turning around in the helm seat. 

It's actually reasonable quality and does not reverse the image I just mounted it the other way up and it's a normal camera. 

I'm going to have one each side of wheelhouse with an RCA switch box so I can see down the sides without opening the door and looking out. 

That's a wired camera but have also bought a cheap 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver to play with to save the extra wiring. 

I do think a remote controlled 180 degree camera mounted on top of the tunnel light on a canal boat would be a good toy. 

For occasional use. 

I also tried the WiFi option sending images to tablet from phone using the latter as a hotspot. that was really good quality but I think it uses data from your contract so ££

There is a thing called WiFi direct but the quality of that was much worse. 

Edited by magnetman
Edit to remove double post