Easter on the Thames from Windsor

Thinkingallowed

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Cheers, pubs are (nearly) always good.

Very helpful reply with those links.

TripAdvisor isn't very kind to that pub, The Thames Court, plus it's worst reviews come at busy periods and it will be Good Friday but menu looks jolly good value.

Shepperton would be nice though as I know the area slightly having stayed there a couple of months due to work. The Red Lion was my favourite watering hole and food spot. I'm coming from Norway and will find everything cheap but the rest of my crew are Hungarian and will faint at the prices.

One of the Magyars is a big Indian food fan and I remember School of Spice being rather good.

Edited by Thinkingallowed

37 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Cheers, pubs are (nearly) always good.

Very helpful reply with those links.

TripAdvisor isn't very kind to that pub, The Thames Court, plus it's worst reviews come at busy periods and it will be Good Friday but menu looks jolly good value.

Shepperton would be nice though as I know the area slightly having stayed there a couple of months due to work. The Red Lion was my favourite watering hole and food spot. I'm coming from Norway and will find everything cheap but the rest of my crew are Hungarian and will faint at the prices.

One of the Magyars is a big Indian food fan and I remember School of Spice being rather good.

The pub at Sheperton is a “Vintage Inn” chain pub I think, but we had a decent enough meal there when we moored outside.  I bet it does get busy when the weather is nice.

• Greenie 1

Runnymede isn't far, is pretty and has plenty of space, but a busy road in spitting distance. It's feasible to tie up in the bushes outside the Swan at Staines which gives one a minor sense of adventure and the pub is OK. Being Easter, if the weather is OK all the yoghurt pots from the marinas will be out so space to tie up might be limited. I find the stretch from Staines down to Hampton Court unuttterably dull with banks lined with suburbia. There are a few quite pleasant riverside pubs though, and Hampton to Teddington is nice.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Runnymede isn't far, is pretty and has plenty of space, but a busy road in spitting distance. It's feasible to tie up in the bushes outside the Swan at Staines which gives one a minor sense of adventure and the pub is OK. Being Easter, if the weather is OK all the yoghurt pots from the marinas will be out so space to tie up might be limited. I find the stretch from Staines down to Hampton Court unuttterably dull with banks lined with suburbia. There are a few quite pleasant riverside pubs though, and Hampton to Teddington is nice.

As I've hired one of these will I be a yoghurt potter? Think I called it a jelly mould above, must keep up with current terminology.

24CA0EFD-8854-4C9F-BB88-796D6B59D99A.jpeg.cf2c215d4acc06ecd8d7ba3b10514c72.jpeg

The only reason for heading down river is to visit Hampton Court and I'd hate to spend / waste the first part of this short trip looking for moorings.

An alternative would be to have the crew visit Hampton Court before we pick the boat up and have the whole four nights up river. Might that be a more stress free trip? 

If you do go down stream there is a nice public mooring at Laleham. Short walk to the pub if that's what you want. I think it's called the Three Horseshoes I went in there once and they have loads of fish tanks built into the partitions. Quite good actually. ETA that might have been another pub and googling it suggests it has been changed. 

It's been a generally wet winter this year so fingers crossed for the Easter period rain wise. I think there might be another flood event before the summer, it just seems probable. 

If hiring from Datchet I would go up stream personally that way if there is any increase in the flow you are coming back down so won't be stressed for time. 

The Thames is the best place in the world which is why I have three boats currently floating on its water :)

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

As I've hired one of these will I be a yoghurt potter? Think I called it a jelly mould above, must keep up with current terminology.

24CA0EFD-8854-4C9F-BB88-796D6B59D99A.jpeg.cf2c215d4acc06ecd8d7ba3b10514c72.jpeg

The only reason for heading down river is to visit Hampton Court and I'd hate to spend / waste the first part of this short trip looking for moorings.

An alternative would be to have the crew visit Hampton Court before we pick the boat up and have the whole four nights up river. Might that be a more stress free trip? 

Proper Thames boaters don't discriminate others users boats (well - only if they're bandly handled), but the derogatory term is usually applied to small day boats (often of the very small boats hired out by KK...).

If you hadn't already discovered - you can moor outside Hampton Court. The moorings are managed by a 'dodgy parking company' so you must register with them as soon as you arrive. The first night is free. Look for the notice.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Proper Thames boaters don't discriminate others users boats (well - only if they're bandly handled), but the derogatory term is usually applied to small day boats (often of the very small boats hired out by KK...).

The pecking order is, I believe:

Yoghurt pot;

Jelly mould;

Gin palace;

Wedding cake (must have at least three tiers in white with a couple on top).

The Thames has arguably the highest density of interesting-looking boats in the land. There'll be some lovely launches and steam boats out over Easter.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

The pecking order is, I believe:

Yoghurt pot;

Jelly mould;

Gin palace;

Wedding cake (must have at least three tiers in white with a couple on top).

The Thames has arguably the highest density of interesting-looking boats in the land. There'll be some lovely launches and steam boats out over Easter.

I do hope I'm allowed to have gin on my jelly mould or should I have paid extra and hired a proper gin palace?

The weather here has me on a rum diet to stop my blood freezing.

8A4366C0-2B0E-41B2-A724-81CF5238C933.jpeg.2130c283a22b1afc563e019642961f44.jpeg

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

If you hadn't already discovered - you can moor outside Hampton Court. The moorings are managed by a 'dodgy parking company' so you must register with them as soon as you arrive. The first night is free. Look for the notice.

I would never discriminate against anyone especially for the size of their equipment.

This is what I'm working on presently...

75589030-D80B-4340-B7DD-5FE3B9057AAB.jpeg.d42ea7d40412ceb4b1c0855e9034dd59.jpeg

Which is the upper gear housing on one of these...

6E568B7C-2A91-41A7-96BE-9AD7D37FA2A4.jpeg.912d7ab5107a5222c7701408182f3742.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

I would never discriminate against anyone especially for the size of their equipment.

This is what I'm working on presently...

75589030-D80B-4340-B7DD-5FE3B9057AAB.jpeg.d42ea7d40412ceb4b1c0855e9034dd59.jpeg

Which is the upper gear housing on one of these...

6E568B7C-2A91-41A7-96BE-9AD7D37FA2A4.jpeg.912d7ab5107a5222c7701408182f3742.jpeg

Heavens - the top pic liikes like the bottom end of a giant seagull transmission

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Has it got a mooring?

You can moor on the downstream  side of the bridge where there are several moorings - only a few yards to walk.

Failng that there are more informal moorings opposite.

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

You can moor on the downstream  side of the bridge where there are several moorings - only a few yards to walk.

I usually tie up to a tree near the Swan. Might be dangerous getting back on the boat after a brewery visit... It often involves an ornithological move.

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Another vote for Laleham, and Runnymede

Runymende (without the second 'y') if you mean the EA moorings by the ciggy warehouse after the bend has an italian restaurant on the main road that folks have rated in the past. Alternatively the runymede hotel just belod cherful Dave's lock has its own moorings and if you choose carefully is reputed to be good value (My management prefers to cook on board thus I can't comment). Further back the way you have come there's one-of-those chain pubs whose car park is always busy, so I suppose the food can't be bad.

Thus you've got a choice of 4 moorings all within a mile or so plus Laleham a bit further downstream...

8 hours ago, OldGoat said:

The Staines mooring pontoon nearest the Staines bridge can get lively on a warm night for those who can't sleep. Seems to be a gathering spot. Go for the rough moorings opposite pontoon,  same side as the Swan.

Or better, try mooring Llammas Park, just past Staines bridge towards Runnymede.

Edited by mark99

3 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Great input from members here.

In the pub as it is my birthday today so will do proper replies tomorrow.

As an interlude here's an output shaft I'm making for a gearbox that I'll also machine this weekend.

Tape rule for scale.

0D426132-24C7-4630-9984-AC85750CD951.jpeg.49bc5e9f0c75b4bee15ed13dc7567681.jpeg

29FCCBFD-A708-4A26-93F7-D4EC2AC33115.jpeg.bfb2113183b0052da5458acf5a14c340.jpeg

The tape rule is sat on drill.

Yup