Easter on the Thames from Windsor

Thinkingallowed

Featured Posts

Hi, this is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me if I break any forum etiquette rules.

So I've hired a boat, 38 ft, from Kris Cruisers for a four night break at Easter. I've never been on the Thames before but once completely rebuilt a canal boat and lived on it so not a complete novice to boating. Fellow crew have sailboat experience so again not novices but I realise that gathering a bit of knowledge about safe cruising is definitely something I need to do.

First of all can someone recommend a guidebook. Preferably one with a detailed map.

I'm guessing that on a busy weekend like Easter the locks will be manned?

The small amount of research I've done shows the water levels are up and boat movements restricted. I'm guessing that this is normal at this time of year? What's the chance of the river being safe for cruising by Easter?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hi and welcome. The Thames is normally a pusseycat river, however it does of course flood. If the weather is good by Easter and levels are back to normal its a very easy river to deal with and yes the locks though easy will be manned. Enjoy. Keep a watchful eye on weather reports. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi and welcome. The Thames is normally a pusseycat river, however it does of course flood. If the weather is good by Easter and levels are back to normal its a very easy river to deal with and yes the locks though easy will be manned. Enjoy. Keep a watchful eye on weather reports. 

Cheers for your reply.

I'm already a daily visitor to the Environment Agency website, hoping for signs of the river going down.

9 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Hi, this is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me if I break any forum etiquette rules.

So I've hired a boat, 38 ft, from Kris Cruisers for a four night break at Easter. I've never been on the Thames before but once completely rebuilt a canal boat and lived on it so not a complete novice to boating. Fellow crew have sailboat experience so again not novices but I realise that gathering a bit of knowledge about safe cruising is definitely something I need to do.

First of all can someone recommend a guidebook. Preferably one with a detailed map.

I'm guessing that on a busy weekend like Easter the locks will be manned?

The small amount of research I've done shows the water levels are up and boat movements restricted. I'm guessing that this is normal at this time of year? What's the chance of the river being safe for cruising by Easter?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Nicholson's guides as good as any

https://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Thames-Southern-Waterways-Nicholson/dp/0008202044/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0/261-1205949-1289931?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0008202044&pd_rd_r=1fbb8a1e-4bb1-46c3-912f-889146e04cfc&pd_rd_w=St3bg&pd_rd_wg=d9n6x&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=R2G74GS7EXYDTZYT9YMJ&psc=1&refRID=R2G74GS7EXYDTZYT9YMJ

• Greenie 1

We're actually on the Thames (the canals are too far away...), so our knowledge is more upto date than some on here (ducks for cover)..

IMO Chris Cove Smith's book - The River Thames book is much, much better (even though it's equally out of dateas Nicholson's) but is more readable. Amazon has used copies at a good price.

The River is 'on reds' at the moment and has been since late last year - that's unusual as is the current weather, but as very few boats venture out anyway, it doesn't spoil the boating!

Locks are manned 09:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 17:00, but only if they've got staff. Given that they're all electricialy operated up to Godstow (just above Oxford), it's no real disadvantage other than they're slower to operate. Be friendly to the Keepers, they (or man do) have respect for well crewed NBs as the resident boaters can be prettty useless when it comes to working the locks.

You MUST use two lines whether going up or downstream - despite man NBers who insist on using a centre line only - the lockie is liable to 'be on a fizzer' if he allows onle line only - thus it's not a matter of a whim, 'it's the rules'. The water flow in a lock can be very fierce.

If you want lots of pubs (not that there are as many as they were) then go down river.

If you want scenery and places to moor then go upstream - perhaps to Oxford - which is well worth a visit if you walk down the side streets away from the grockles.

I'm happy to waffle on if you want more information....

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

We're actually on the Thames (the canals are too far away...), so our knowledge is more upto date than some on here (ducks for cover)..

IMO Chris Cove Smith's book - The River Thames book is much, much better (even though it's equally out of dateas Nicholson's) but is more readable. Amazon has used copies at a good price.

The River is 'on reds' at the moment and has been since late last year - that's unusual as is the current weather, but as very few boats venture out anyway, it doesn't spoil the boating!

Locks are manned 09:00 to 13:00 and 14:00 to 17:00, but only if they've got staff. Given that they're all electricialy operated up to Godstow (just above Oxford), it's no real disadvantage other than they're slower to operate. Be friendly to the Keepers, they (or man do) have respect for well crewed NBs as the resident boaters can be prettty useless when it comes to working the locks.

You MUST use two lines whether going up or downstream - despite man NBers who insist on using a centre line only - the lockie is liable to 'be on a fizzer' if he allows onle line only - thus it's not a matter of a whim, 'it's the rules'. The water flow in a lock can be very fierce.

If you want lots of pubs (not that there are as many as they were) then go down river.

If you want scenery and places to moor then go upstream - perhaps to Oxford - which is well worth a visit if you walk down the side streets away from the grockles.

I'm happy to waffle on if you want more information....

Waffle away sir, your input is welcome.

Had read about two lines at locks and will certainly stick to this, especially as I've hired a jelly mould and expect they are less forgiving than a steel narrow boat.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

You'd be pushing it to get to Oxford and back from Windsor in four days.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

You'd be pushing it to get to Oxford and back from Windsor in four days.

1 hour ago, Thinkingallowed said:

I did wonder if four nights had been misread as fortnight. 

Without a child on board I might have taken it up as a challenge!

Apologies - I ignored the booking length  and even ignoring the fact that you'd go ~ 25% faster downhill (There's a constant minimum flow of 1 mph downstream) you'd be pushed to do it in any boat!

7 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Watch it at Marlow weir I've seen more than one boat stuck fast on that one.

Don't put him off !!!

Going upstream out of the lock - keep over to the right (where you should be any way) and keep moving - everyone rushes out of any lock so follow the throng.

Methinks it coming downstream where you are slowing down to moor to the layby in the middle of the stream. The answer to that if you're worried is to go onto the inside ofo the pontoon where the stream will carry you gently on to the platform as if you were a pro!!

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

Watch it at Marlow weir I've seen more than one boat stuck fast on that one.

Googled that and found out that there has been a weir there since the Doomsday book. Not sure if I should have looked that up but thanks for the warning.

27 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Don't put him off !!!

Going upstream out of the lock - keep over to the right (where you should be any way) and keep moving - everyone rushes out of any lock so follow the throng.

Methinks it coming downstream where you are slowing down to moor to the layby in the middle of the stream. The answer to that if you're worried is to go onto the inside ofo the pontoon where the stream will carry you gently on to the platform as if you were a pro!!

*Takes notes*

Cheers for that info.

Bear in mind at Easter, the Thames will be lovely but in May June and July it is unbeatable imo for interest and beauty despite more traffic.

Have a great time. The Thames is the pinnacle river imo.

Hampton Court and back?

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Bear in mind at Easter, the Thames will be lovely but in May June and July it is unbeatable imo for interest and beauty despite more traffic.

Have a great time. The Thames is the pinnacle river imo.

Hampton Court and back?

Having four nights I was hoping to do Hampton Court and back and have a bit of a cruise up river from Windsor too.

Not sure how early I'll be able to get my crew up without risking a mutiny. 

1 hour ago, Thinkingallowed said:

When trying to estimate travelling times how long per lock should I allow?

I realise that it's a how long is a piece of string question but would half an hour work?

That's what I was going to say. Can be longer if there are queues of course.

• Greenie 1