Derwent Water Resevoir Overtops.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

The video is great, but the sub-head editor needs slapping.

Their sub-head: 

WATER SPECTACULARLY THUNDERS OVER THE DERWENT RESERVOIR DAM

A vast wall of water rages over a flood-hit reservoir in the Peak District

My sub-head:

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG

Dam overspill performs exactly as designed 200 years ago; water flows over it into spill channel and away safely.

Yes, it's a better design than Toddbrook Dam, but that's not difficult.  "Don't have your maximum flow emergency spillway 40 feet narrower at the bottom than the top" is not complicated fancy engineering!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Dam overspill performs exactly as designed 200 years ago; 

Not much more than 100 years ago actually.

I agree this is normal and as designed. The Wikipedia page has a photo of the spillway running in 2007.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Reservoir_(Derbyshire)

Edited by David Mack

It is always impressive, I used to see overflow happen most winters when we lived in the Peak District. Just a small point this is Derwent Reservoior, not Derwent Water which is in the Lake District. To confuse matters there is another Derwent Reservoir in  the North East near Consett.

Edited by David Schweizer

13 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It is always impressive, I used to see overflow happen most winters when we lived in the Peak District. Just a small point this is Derwent Reservoior, not Derwent Water which is in the Lake District.

The headline writer needs his head slapping and he can't spell either

14 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

It is always impressive, I used to see overflow happen most winters when we lived in the Peak District. Just a small point this is Derwent Reservoior, not Derwent Water which is in the Lake District.

Is it not the Upper Derwent Reservoir just up from the visitor centre? send in the Dambusters, they'd sort it :D

38 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Is it not the Upper Derwent Reservoir just up from the visitor centre? send in the Dambusters, they'd sort it :D

They have already had some practice over the same Res.

Mind you the RAF and Fleet Air Arm didn't do a vey good job of hitting a stationary ship (Torrey Canyon) using a total of 161 bombs, 16 rockets, 1,500 long tons of napalm and 44,500 litres of kerosene over several days.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Not from my memory. The area is known as "Upper Derwent Valley, where there are three connected reseviors, Howden, Ladybower and Derwnt. They are sometimes referred to collectively as the Upper Derwent Reserviors.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mind you the RAF and Fleet Air Arm didn't do a vey good job of hitting a stationary ship (Torrey Canyon) using a total of 161 bombs, 16 rockets, 1,500 long tons of napalm and 44,500 litres of kerosene over several days.

Yea but they had big fun!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The video is great, but the sub-head editor needs slapping.

Their sub-head: 

WATER SPECTACULARLY THUNDERS OVER THE DERWENT RESERVOIR DAM

A vast wall of water rages over a flood-hit reservoir in the Peak District

My sub-head:

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG

Dam overspill performs exactly as designed 200 years ago; water flows over it into spill channel and away safely.

Yes, it's a better design than Toddbrook Dam, but that's not difficult.  "Don't have your maximum flow emergency spillway 40 feet narrower at the bottom than the top" is not complicated fancy engineering!

Do we actual;ly know your assertion re Toddbrook yet? I thought we were still awaiting the expert report - or have I missed it?

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Not from my memory. The area is known as "Upper Derwent Valley, where there are three connected reseviors, Howden, Ladybower and Derwnt. They are sometimes referred to collectively as the Upper Derwent Reserviors.

Will bow to your superior knowledge, I've only ever been a visitor over the years walking and cycling with my daughter.

I know it's Howden at the top, thought it was then Upper Derwent and then Ladybower  either side of the road bridge.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Will bow to your superior knowledge, I've only ever been a visitor over the years walking and cycling with my daughter.

I know it's Howden at the top, thought it was then Upper Derwent and then Ladybower  either side of the road bridge.

I lived in the Peak District for a number of years and always knew the middle reservior as simply "Derwent Reservoir", so where the "Upper" prefix comes from is a mystery. Both the 1971 OS map and the 1968 Bartholemews maps do not use the prefix, nor does the official Severn Trent Water web site, but for some unexplained reason the more recent online OS map does use the "Upper" prefix.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They did quite a good job of hittng it, as I recall, but not such a good job of setting fire to the thick crude it was carrying.

6 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

They did quite a good job of hittng it, as I recall, but not such a good job of setting fire to the thick crude it was carrying.

25% missed completely.

Yes the problem was getting the crude to ignite hence the use of Napalm and Kero.

They did once manage to get it alight but then the waves 'put the fire out'.

Fred Carno !!!!

Despite direct hits, and a towering inferno of flames and smoke as the oil slick began to burn, the tanker refused to sink.

The mission was called off for the day when particularly high spring tides put out the flames.

A disappointed statement from the Home Office said "We have been informed officially that the fire in the wreckage of the Torrey Canyon is out. We cannot say at this stage what the next step will be."

4 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

This is nothing!  Try looking at the Elan Valley dams which are similarly overtopping - as per design, but problem is the water flows down the  Afon Elan and into the Wye which floods through Builth Wells and onwards to Hereford and Monmouth.Image result for caban coch dam

Clywedog is the same, but feeding into the already full Severn.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I lived in the Peak District for a number of years and always knew the middle reservior as simply "Derwent Reservoir", so where the "Upper" prefix comes from is a mystery. Both the 1971 OS map and the 1968 Bartholemews maps do not use the prefix, nor does the official Severn Trent Water web site, but for some unexplained reason the more recent online OS map does use the "Upper" prefix.

From the Peak and never used or noticed the inexplicable "Upper"

8 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

This is nothing!  Try looking at the Elan Valley dams which are similarly overtopping - as per design, but problem is the water flows down the  Afon Elan and into the Wye which floods through Builth Wells and onwards to Hereford and Monmouth.Image result for caban coch dam

Spillway narrower at the bottom than at the top. Now where have I seen that before recently?

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Spillway narrower at the bottom than at the top. Now where have I seen that before recently?

Not quite sure where the 'narrrowing spillway = bad' comes from. After all, the water at the bottom of the dame then has to fit into the much narrower river valley and it is better to transition gradually rather than have a sharp corner which will also add damaging eddies into the near-laminar flow. But perhaps a better dam/hydoodynamic expert will come along and explain - if not, perhaps an arm chair?

• Happy 1