Good Quality Petrol Can??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Over the years I have bought a few 10l metal petrol cans, B & Q and cant remember. All have lasted only a couple of years, or less, before something going wrong.... either the top gets really stiff to open and close, or they leak.

Is there a really good quality 10l petrol can which will last, even if I have to pay a bit more for it?

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Over the years I have bought a few 10l metal petrol cans, B & Q and cant remember. All have lasted only a couple of years, or less, before something going wrong.... either the top gets really stiff to open and close, or they leak.

Is there a really good quality 10l petrol can which will last, even if I have to pay a bit more for it?

Generally you can't beat 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Genuine-Surplus-Petrol-Diesel/dp/B00LX934UA

Well you can beat them if you're really into funky percussion 

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Generally you can't beat 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Genuine-Surplus-Petrol-Diesel/dp/B00LX934UA

Well you can beat them if you're really into funky percussion 

And here’s someone who actually holds some stock :P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/20021483815

eta I don’t think this is actually the same thing, I think it’s a Chinese copy. 

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

And here’s someone who actually holds some stock :P

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/20021483815

But I don't want it to hold ice cubes, or as a Bar Accessory!  (Which is what the seller classifies it as)

And given that the description includes gems like "in the hydraulic system it not only plays as a fuel can but also can heat dissipation, separate bubble and precipitation in the oil", I'm not convinced that those aren't cheap copies as well.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

But I don't want it to hold ice cubes, or as a Bar Accessory!  (Which is what the seller classifies it as)

And given that the description includes gems like "in the hydraulic system it not only plays as a fuel can but also can heat dissipation, separate bubble and precipitation in the oil", I'm not convinced that those aren't cheap copies as well.

Actually, on reflection, I think this is a Chinese copy too, not army surplus. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

That second link sings the praises of the Wavian can, then at the bottom says they don't sell them any more!

The first link takes you to Wavians site where you can find a video which suggests good things about them.

https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/blog/wavian-fuel-can-recommended-by-kombilife/

Might give one a go :)

Thanks for all the quick help as ever :) 

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

That second link sings the praises of the Wavian can, then at the bottom says they don't sell them any more!

Yes, I know, but it is an American site so wouldn’t be for buying them anyway. I put it there for the description etc. Probably too expensive due to the shipping etc.

3 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Yes, I know, but it is an American site so wouldn’t be for buying them anyway. I put it there for the description etc. Probably too expensive due to the shipping etc.

I realised that. But the implication is that the Waivin cans are too expensive to sell to most customers, so they have joined the hoard selling cheaper versions.

Does it absolutely have to be 10l? I've had a cheapo 5l plastic can of the sort that most garages sell rattling around in the boot of various cars for years. Never a whiff of a leak, which your nose would spot straight away. 2x5l = 10l. Carry one in each hand back from the garage after filling up, rather than 10l in one hand.

Jen

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Does it absolutely have to be 10l? I've had a cheapo 5l plastic can of the sort that most garages sell rattling around in the boot of various cars for years. Never a whiff of a leak, which your nose would spot straight away. 2x5l = 10l. Carry one in each hand back from the garage after filling up, rather than 10l in one hand.

Jen

You'd then be able to do the ''Can-Can''

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Agreed but......

I generally have a rucksack on my back, and a dog lead and shit shovel in one hand, leaving it unavailable for a second can :) 

Having said that, I do have a 5l can which is more manageable than the 10l versions, although it obviously needs filling twice as often.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 13:52, Richard10002 said:

Agreed but......

I generally have a rucksack on my back, and a dog lead and shit shovel in one hand, leaving it unavailable for a second can :) 

Having said that, I do have a 5l can which is more manageable than the 10l versions, although it obviously needs filling twice as often.

How big/strong is the dog? How about a set of panniers on the dog with a 5l can in each?

Jen?

Obvious dangers with a dog carrying petrol. It might go woof! ?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How big/strong is the dog? How about a set of panniers on the dog with a 5l can in each?

Jen?

Obvious dangers with a dog carrying petrol. It might go woof! ?

Cocker Spaniel, so might be able to carry a couple of milk bottles :) 

Since posting I’ve had a look at my various cans.

The 5l is a Sealey with a UN and has always felt like good quality.

Two of the tall 10l ones seem to be generic and not particularly good quality.

I also have a short fat 10l which is of the ALM brand and has a UN mark. I’ve always found it harder to pour from as it is inclined to “glug”. I’ve bought a metal spout which might improve things.

The 10l Wavians seem to be available only in short and fat versions, so I’m going to see how I get on with the ALM can and it’s spout before spending any money.

If Wavian did a tall 10l version, I’d buy one tomorrow.

On 25/02/2020 at 09:47, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

But note that the regulations of petrol storage in domestic premises (which includes "motor boats" state that a maximum of 30l can be stored, in a maximum of 2 containers, so if you use 5l containers your limit is 10l, but 10l containers allow you to store 20l legally.

MP.