Ventnor or Calcutt Marina?

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone

We're making early enquiries into what might be our next base and like the position of Ventnor/Calcutt Marina. We've visited Ventnor and liked the staff/layout and the way they charge (especially invoicing electricity - no more silly cards!). Calcutt seem slightly cheaper, seems to be a similar layout, has a fairly substantial chandlery onsite. My only reservation is looking at the small print they seem to charge for absolutely everything - even £1 for each bag of litter and is the only marina I've seen that charge for Elsan (we don't have cassette, but you get the point). Pumpout seems more expensive also (included at Ventnor)…..  it may still turn out cheaper at Calcutt.....

We visited Wigrams Turn also but didn't like the layout and size of it and seem to be very short on loo's etc...?? (very posh but as they share each loo with a shower room it doesn't take much to make them busy for long periods!)

so apart from all this how do people find these two marinas in the real world, both ok or would you recommend one over the other??

Edited by robtheplod

We spent 9 years in "Sunset" pool at Ventnor and were very happy there.  We only moved to another Castle Marina to explore pastures new.

Ventnor has no liveaboards apart from the staff. Sheridan, one of the staff is most helpful, even bringing gas bottles to your boat.

There is one other from this forum who keeps their boat in the "Sunrise" marina.

The pontoons at Ventnor are always kept clean and tidy as is the whole marina. Ventnor will not allow bags of coal etc to be stored on the pontoons.

https://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/marinas/ventnor

We bought our boat from Calcutt brokerage and it took them 2 months to carry out repairs brought up by the survey and for work we commissioned, 

even though we already had a place booked at Ventnor.

You may find that Calcutt has a 2 tier charging system for the two pools, the one furthest away from the canal is more expensive.

http://www.calcuttboats.com/moorings.html

Calcutt's chandlery is within easy walking distance from Ventnor along the towpath.

Photo was our last night at Ventnor, an appropriate sunset.

IMG_20171006_184321658.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi Everyone

We're making early enquiries into what might be our next base and like the position of Ventnor/Calcutt Marina. We've visited Ventnor and liked the staff/layout and the way they charge (especially invoicing electricity - no more silly cards!). Calcutt seem slightly cheaper, seems to be a similar layout, has a fairly substantial chandlery onsite. My only reservation is looking at the small print they seem to charge for absolutely everything - even £1 for each bag of litter and is the only marina I've seen that charge for Elsan (we don't have cassette, but you get the point). Pumpout seems more expensive also (included at Ventnor)…..  it may still turn out cheaper at Calcutt.....

We visited Wigrams Turn also but didn't like the layout and size of it and seem to be very short on loo's etc...?? (very posh but as they share each loo with a shower room it doesn't take much to make them busy for long periods!)

so apart from all this how do people find these two marinas in the real world, both ok or would you recommend one over the other??

I moored at Calcutt for nearly 20 years until we sold the boat last autumn and I never heard of them charging for MOORERS to dispose of rubbish or elsans we had a pump out but cant see how they could charge for elsans as the berth holders elsan point is well away from the office.

I also felt their labour rates were reasonable and they always seemed very friendly.

Like Tony we do not know of any charges for litter collection at Calcutt marina. We have moored there since 2009 and been very happy. We didn't like the rules that Ventnor had at the time like you could not use a power tool outside of the boat at weekends as it would spoil it for the moorer's who like to use their boats as a weekend cottage. No silly rules at Calcutt

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi Everyone

I think you have missed the point of some of the charges at Calcutt.  They don’t charge moorers for elsan and rubish that is the charge for passing boats at the wharf. 

We have been at Calcutt for 10 years, it works well for us, very helpful staff, all the parts you want on site and they can do any repairs if that’s what you want.  We looked at Ventnor and Wigrams as well.  They were more expensive then than Calcutt, even compared to Meadows marina at Calcutt which is the most expensive of their two basins.

My immediate thought was Calcutt. We moored there whilst an electrician rewired our engine hole. The electrician moors at Calcutt.

i know of two Moorers at Ventnor and one at Wigrams.They seem very happy.

Edited by Nightwatch

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I think you have missed the point of some of the charges at Calcutt.  They don’t charge moorers for elsan and rubish that is the charge for passing boats at the wharf. 

We have been at Calcutt for 10 years, it works well for us, very helpful staff, all the parts you want on site and they can do any repairs if that’s what you want.  We looked at Ventnor and Wigrams as well.  They were more expensive then than Calcutt, even compared to Meadows marina at Calcutt which is the most expensive of their two basins.

ah right thanks for this...…. it wasn't obvious to me looking at their site : http://www.calcuttboats.com/page44.html

thanks for clarification. Make Calcutt a bit more attractive then!

I remember Ventnor opening and their sales pitch being no liveaboards. I have used calcutt and Wigrams,  another new marina over the years but wouldnt go near Ventnor as the attitude of no liveaboards is somewhat archaic and anyway we liveaboard. Most places nowadays realise liveaboards spend more money over the years and are free security so are welcomed with open arms. At my moorings at present there are 3 winter moorings and the owner greatly prefers liveaboards whenever possible. They are hard to find but can you not get a nice linear mooring with leccy and water somewhere? much nicer than a marina.

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Are there live boards in Wigrams then? Same owners for both marinas.

Yep. Anyway I was only there short period of time so the question wasnt asked. When Ventnor was built its opening gambit was No noise, no work allowed, no liveaboards etc so it has always been way down my list of places. I have only been unfortunate enough on a couple of occasions to have to use marinas as linear online to me are vastly better but of course harder come by.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Are there live boards in Wigrams then? Same owners for both marinas.

They way it was, was that Wigrams was all live aboards and Ventnor was strictly on living aboard.  We once shared Calcutt locks with a couple who had been thrown out of Ventnor for staying on the boat in the marina while they had building work done at home.   They do seem to like their rules at Ventnor, I seem to remember something about needing to move the boat onto the towpath to do work, but don’t remember the details. 

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

They way it was, was that Wigrams was all live aboards and Ventnor was strictly on living aboard.  We once shared Calcutt locks with a couple who had been thrown out of Ventnor for staying on the boat in the marina while they had building work done at home.   They do seem to like their rules at Ventnor, I seem to remember something about needing to move the boat onto the towpath to do work, but don’t remember the details. 

There is still a legacy hanging about from when Paul Floud (sp) owned the marina. He was very strict with rules and regulations.

The staff at Ventnor - Castle Marinas, were happy to let RLWP take out my gearbox and repair it. They even let me temporarily move the boat to a bank mooring in the marina, whilst this was accomplished. Incidentally when Floud was in charge he would only allow external contractors in provided he was paid 20% of the bill. Berth holders were supposed to use Ventnor Farm Marina Services. Hence people taking their boat to the towpath outside the marina.

The "Farm" bit has been dropped from the marina name since Castle took over. 

With regard to allowing people to say on board Ventnor staff are quite happy to let folks liveaboard for two weeks or so. It is local planning rules which inhibit long term living. The couple who were asked to leave knew the rules and they tried to flout them by not explaining their position to management first. I'm quite sure they would have been allowed to stay at Wigrams for the period needed if they had asked.

Whilst we were at Ventnor we got caught the wrong side of Calcutt locks when one of the lock landings collapsed. Castle Marinas offered us a space at Wigrams for the two months it took to repair the lock at no extra charge.

Also Castle Marina's offer a "flexi berth" scheme where you can leave your boat at another Castle marina without extra charge, period to be determined by each marina manager. There is a maximum time but I am unsure of what it is.

I still struggle with the fact that some who live bankside and CC have to criticise marinas? Some people, me included, like our boat to be in a marina and we like the social aspect. If there were no marinas the canal banks would be "wall to wall" with boats. Horses for courses.

For avoidance of any doubt I am not a Castle Marina employee, just a satisfied customer.

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

I agree with what John says.  We've been at Calcutt for 26 years and have never had to pay for rubbish or Elsan disposal.

When we have needed some small welding jobs done, they have always been done within a day or two if we were staying on the boat. 

I have had several happy years at Ventnor before moving north, it is very quiet as there are no trains or roads nearby. The rules regarding living aboard are historical, the first owner wouldn't even allow one night stay before going on a cruise, or returning from one. He is no longer involved but until recently lived nearby and kept poking his nose in with the council, as the planning consent is for no livaboard other than the staff. More recently this has relaxed (quietly ignored) but generally they do not like staying more than one or two weeks, once or twice a year.  Power tools being used at anti social hours especially on Sunday aftgernoon are frowned, upon but that is true of anywhere. We did some big cutting with an angle grinder one sunday and tripped the mains, the only question asked was how long are you going to be, we said 30 minutes and they were happy when they reset the trip(in a box). They do not cut the grass at weekend in order to keep it peaceful so respect that. As they have no boat services you can get any tradesman to work on your boat at Vetnor their only requirment is third party insurance in case they damage other boats, we have had 3 different bts of welding done there, each time with a different engineer..  I have seen DIY engine replacement incuding using a table lathe to modify the propshaft, most marinas would want that work for their in house team.  When we were there we had a resident swan who made sure there were no geese in the marina which did help keep the banks and jetties clean. He used to chase them away to Calcutt. I did find Calcutts WiFi was faster than Ventnors though.

I haven't posted on here for ages but as I have moored at Ventnor since buying my boat nearly 5 years ago, and as it may well be me that Ray and Nightwatch referred to above, I thought I should chip in.

I have no experience of Calcutt, other than passing by dozens of times over the years, so I can't compare the two. However I can say that we have been very happy at Ventnor and can't imagine we would ever want to moor anywhere else in the area.

The staff are great and very helpful. Sheridan has been working there for more years than we have been moored there so probably knows all there is to know about the marina and the area. He is also a good laugh and a top bloke.

The layout is really good with all pontoons being single boat length (unlike Wigrams) and in very good condition. The view North from Sunrise basin is lovely and with no nearby roads or railways it is normally very peaceful. 

There are numerous small car parking areas dotted around. These are very close to the pontoons but as the boats are at a higher level than the roadway the car parks tend not to be visible from the boats. 

There has never been any suggestion that we stay too long on-board in the marina and I reckon there would only ever be an issue if there were clear signs that someone was actually using their boat as a liveaboard.

If you don't want to live aboard, but like to be able to have peaceful breaks on the boat away from home without leaving the marina, then the fact that there are no liveaboards, apart from staff, is a big advantage. Apart from in the depths of winter, when you usually feel like you have the place to yourself, there are usually enough people around to be able to easily find someone to chat with but rarely so many that the place feels busy, particularly on weekdays.

I do occasionally wish we didn't have to go up the Calcutt flight for just a day or two out on the cut between Napton and Braunston but that would also be the case for Calcutt marina. For us, the advantages offered by Ventnor, compared with Wigrams for example, more than compensate for the slight disadvantage of not being positioned on the long Napton to Hillmorton pound.