Access for 12ft widebeam

Shepp

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I maybe purchasing a 60ft x 12ft widebeam thats currently moored in lancaster, I was wondering if anyone could confirm if its possible for me to get from lancaster back to Rotherham via the canal? Or would I have to have it lifted and transported by road?? I'm hoping to navigate the canal, to A familiarise myself wit the boat (if I purchase) but B see stsrt to see some of the waterways too. And I'm sure it would be much cheaper lol. If not could anyone give me a rough cost to have it lifted and transported ? 

Thank youbin advance 

Gaz

I'm not sure a 60x12 fits through the Ribble Link.

If it doesn't, you will need two lifts and a wagon anyway so it would be much cheaper at that point to do it by truck.  The extra mileage is insignificant compared to two lifts and the time takes to strap down for transit.

If you want to do it anyway, Garstang to Chorley is a common run.

Thank you for the quick reply, I was thinking if it does need to be lifted to just have it delivered, but was hoping it would have been navigable but never mind.

Any ideas as to cost ?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

1 minute ago, Shepp said:

Thank you for the quick reply, I was thinking if it does need to be lifted to just have it delivered, but was hoping it would have been navigable but never mind.

Any ideas as to cost ?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

Just as a comparison my 36 x 14 foot was moved 200 miles last year and cost £2300 + Lift onto truck, and lift off truck.

Ribble link is 10’6” I think, but I believe there is a stoppage notice at this time limiting it to narrow beam, due to them needing to dredge between the botton Lock and the sea lock, and the only dredger they have on the Lancaster is widebeam so they are waiting for a narrow beam dredger to come over.  At least that was the story from the CRT guys on the link last Sept.  Whatever, a 12 foot beam boat will only be able to get off the Lancaster on the back of a truck, unless it is capable of going to sea.

If you fancy the journey then taking a boat out round Blackpool is not out of the question although it needs careful planning. 

The problem on the Ribble Link is the channel round some bends, which I found challenging in a 62 foot narrow boat and would certainly be difficult in anything that length and significantly wider

Sorry I think I sent this reply to the wrong person, lol  I'm sure the boat as a dutch barge is sea going, but not sure I would fancy the trip, or if the factb that the bow thrusters not working would cause any issue with that root, maybe if I could get someone that is more experienced to navigate, maybe an option? would I be able to get back to the midlands this way do you think?

4 minutes ago, Shepp said:

do they generally arrange  the lift too?

https://www.boathaulage.co.uk/

http://hamerboattransport.co.uk/boat-transport/

http://www.waterways-great-britain.co.uk/a-b-tuckey-boat-transport-service

http://bargemovers.com/ (I used these people - well recommended)

1 minute ago, Shepp said:

Sorry I think I sent this reply to the wrong person, lol  I'm sure the boat as a dutch barge is sea going, but not sure I would fancy the trip, or if the factb that the bow thrusters not working would cause any issue with that root, maybe if I could get someone that is more experienced to navigate, maybe an option? would I be able to get back to the midlands this way do you think?

It depends on the draft.

DO IT BY ROAD.

Just think what the pictures of the coast have been like in the last few weeks - 20ft + waves breaking  ……………………….. 'orrid'

I was going to take mine around by Sea but it would have been 900 miles, would have cost more in fuel than it cost for the road transport and would have taken (probably) 3 weeks allowing for weather - on the truck it took one day, and 'the job is done'.

Practice playing on it when you get it where you want it.

5 minutes ago, Shepp said:

Where in the Midlands are you wanting to get to?

Moved a 31 ton 60ftx12ft from Worcestershire to Sheffield last year by road, 2x 100t Crane lifts and road transport a total of over 5K Inc VAT.

I know you say bring it to Rotherham, have you moorings? as not many, if any around your area for that size, Just struggled to find some for a 57ft x 11ft and the costs were a bit of a shock to the new owners.

Your best bet, if you have not looked into moorings yet and cheapest are right where you are Tulleys Boat Yard. Peter hopefully will be along soon to advise with the area that way, also Eastwood both CaRT and Waddingtons side can fit a 12ft beam.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Good question - he said Rotherham but that's hardly the Midlands.

They say Rotherham is "Up North" but nearer really to East Midlands then Northern England.

Edited by PD1964