Kings Bromley Marina Flood

Grassman

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Thats why you should have an axe on board 

Agreed, but could get exciting very fast on an unpowered floating portacabin on a river in flood ...

Longer looser lines in advance would have helped, but everyone has 20/20 hundsight,

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Thats why you should have an axe on board 

Actually, on this topic I remember talking to a chap who had allegedly been trained to crew a big dumb boat under tow on a commercial waterway, and he was discussing the point of the fire axe provided.

I suggested that if he ever needed to use it he struck as close to the dolly as he dared, and he didn't know why.  Which is terrifying for a very recently trained chap!

A brief conversation about what happens if you part a tow cable under high towing tension and are stood a bit close to the recoiling end followed, and off he went looking thoughtful.  A week later he collars me and lets me know he mentioned it to the tug skipper who was training them.

"Oh, didn't I mention that bit?  Yes, very important if you like arms and legs..."

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

"Oh, didn't I mention that bit?  Yes, very important if you like arms and legs..."

Which is why I am very paranoid when I used winches in my professional life, I know they are tested, I know there is a breakaway to limit loading but I still don't trust them, useful things but they don't half make me twitch

That 'houseboat' wasn't really top heavy - it was just some wood on a substantial floating pontoon. As guessed already, tied down to the jetty I think. Seen a boat sunk by that, once or twice.

It really isn't my taste. What worries me more is the lack of 'water knowledge' possessed by the couple living aboard. A bit of anticipation, keeping an eye on the water levels, would have saved them. Same applies to several of the stranded narrowboats.

I used to moor in a string of boats, 70% of them were like this. Whenever the river flooded, they were in trouble. Muggins (or MrsC) would end up helping them out. Extra mooring ropes, towing their boat back into position (broke free of mooring); you name it. I was very glad to move away from them.