Kings Bromley Marina Flood

Grassman

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

On the one hand you have to feel sorry for a couple who've lost "everything", but on the other you can't help but think that a top-heavy floating portacabin has no business being on the water in the first place.

That is an opinion.

But should you, me or anyone else make that assertion?

I long ago stopped being critical of someones pride and joy floating wreck, its none of my business.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 3

30 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is an opinion.

But should you, me or anyone else make that assertion?

I long ago stopped being critical of someones pride and joy floating wreck, its none of my business.

yes, when it's safety comes into question. a floating pontoon must surely have some sort of height limitation? centre of gravity and all that. if not so tall they may have had more of a chance to save it.

I don't recall making any point about it's looks or state of upkeep, but you keep running with that baton if you like ;)

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

On the one hand you have to feel sorry for a couple who've lost "everything", but on the other you can't help but think that a top-heavy floating portacabin has no business being on the water in the first place.

It's not so much the feeling sorry for the couple, it's that Pillings Lock "flood free" Marina according to the marketing ,has yet again flooded, last time the diesel pontoon tipped and polluted the water, along with other damage. That boat was in the marina then, and surely should have had some ability to rise with increased levels.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

It's not so much the feeling sorry for the couple, it's that Pillings Lock "flood free" Marina according to the marketing ,has yet again flooded, last time the diesel pontoon tipped and polluted the water, along with other damage. That boat was in the marina then, and surely should have had some ability to rise with increased levels.

And now they have one of those crowd-funding things to help them out because”they didn’t renew their insurance”.

Well, tough.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

you can't help but think that a top-heavy floating portacabin has no business being on the water in the first place.

Looks like it was tied down to the jetty on short lines and tilted enough to allow it to flood. 

It wouldn't be much fun trying to untie/retie it once it got to that point, but it was probably too late by then.

1 hour ago, pete23 said:

No there not, they’ve been pumping welford into sulby for some reason.....or so I was told...

But isn't the Avon effectively dammed at  that point, with the flow down the valley consisting of compensation water released from the dam? I can't see how it could flood past the marina unless the spillway was flowing strongly.

MP.

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Looks like it was tied down to the jetty on short lines and tilted enough to allow it to flood. 

It wouldn't be much fun trying to untie/retie it once it got to that point, but it was probably too late by then.

Thats why you should have an axe on board