Replacing all tanks

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But she is asking boaters, as many as she can find in one location

I was talking generally about people these days, most want to find the answers on the net, which often leads to reality being completely different, I'm sure many people have found this to be true when they actually do buy a narrowboat to live on or just to enjoy at leisure.

1 minute ago, nickhindle said:

My fresh water tank was integral in the hull and was grim, so I cleaned it out and dried it, then dropped a pair of plastic tanks in there which were exactly the size of the inspection cover.  One slid forward of the inspection hatch once dropped through giving 2 tanks inline, connected with a pipe at the bottom.

This gives 250L of drinkable fresh water and works a treat.

See grippatank.co.uk

Yes an easy solution for a integral tank, I think that most newer boats these days just fit a stainless or poly plastic tank secured to the wooden floor. As the OP is still at the planning stage she can choose a boat with either option to suit her budget and ease of fitting a plastic if required.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Yes an easy solution for a integral tank, I think that most newer boats these days just fit a stainless or poly plastic tank secured to the wooden floor. As the OP is still at the planning stage she can choose a boat with either option to suit her budget and ease of fitting a plastic if required.

I suspect we will never know what she does as she will probably never post here again.  Hopefully she will find ‘the other forum that must never be named’ where she will get a more friendly response.

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I suspect we will never know what she does as she will probably never post here again.  Hopefully she will find ‘the other forum that must never be named’ where she will get a more friendly response.

I doubt it, as most people on here are also on there, maybe different names but same questions, same answers.

Edited by PD1964

On 23/02/2020 at 15:35, Alice And The WonderCat said:

There are for sure some great advices from others as well. Thanks for all feedback, even if now I am not sure I will ever ask any more questions around here... You are probably happy about that. 

Unfortunately, this is often the case as there are a few who will always treat new and "innocent" questions with disdain, as they were never new to the canals or, if they were, they got their information in a different way.

All this talk about walking down the canal and talking to boaters - how on earth are you/we supposed to find a boater with the experience and knowledge you are looking for??? You might need to find 50 boaters willing to pass the time of day, in order to find the one who can help and I, for one, value my time and effort above this.

Transferring from the open seas to the canals almost ten years ago, I came straight to this forum and got some good information. I'm quite good at ignoring the chaff if I want to, (only quite good... not perfect :) ).

Amongst the dross that you have experienced, you have also got some good information, so it could be worth sticking around.

Most people will not be happy if you choose not to ask anything else.... a very few might be. You would soon get to know who to ignore, and who to actually invoke the "ignore facility", (for what it's worth).

My own 2 pennys worth are that you should avoid buying a boat with a pump out sewage waste tank, and get one with a cassette type system. You can buy new cassettes relatively cheaply, thus avoiding other peoples poo. You should also be able to find space to fit your composting loo, which might even be a straight'ish swap for the cassette loo.

I agree with others on the metal issue... it's hard to avoid metal in the supply chain as a whole. Having said that, it shouldn't be too difficult to fit a plastic water tank, perhaps not inside the existing water tank. This could free up the existing tank for some kind of storage, (coal perhaps... smokeless of course :) )

I could fit a good sized water tank under the bed, with the filler either on the gunnel for a short filling pipe, or on the stern, with a longer filling pipe. My water tank under the cratch could easily be fitted with a hinged lid. I've got loads of stuff that could go in it :) 

On 24/02/2020 at 14:54, PD1964 said:

I was talking generally about people these days, most want to find the answers on the net, which often leads to reality being completely different, I'm sure many people have found this to be true when they actually do buy a narrowboat to live on or just to enjoy at leisure.

I find that research on the Internet has been doing a very good job of preparing me for the reality of many things, for almost a couple of decades now. The reality might not be exactly the same but, in most cases, there has been a familiarity.

It also saves a lot of time in a variety of ways.

2 very simple examples:

1) I have an old Samsung NC10 netbook where about 7 of the keys no longer work. Frightened to death of opening it up to investigate/change the keyboard, I found a 2 minute YouTube video, showing that it’s really easy, removing 3 screws, and a bit of i clipping.

2) Booked a hotel in Venice a few years ago. Did the virtual walk from boat landing to hotel on Google Maps a few days before. In reality, recognised everything, walked straight to the door.

Whilst the OP has probably been discouraged from returning, she now has a whole bundle of information and advice, gleaned in a day or so, which would have taken much more time, effort and energy, walking the towpath.

On 24/02/2020 at 14:19, Chewbacka said:

Agree, and one thing I have never understood is why some that clearly resent new people asking questions that are in their opinion, daft or poorly researched, instead of ignoring the question and moving on to another set of posts feel compelled to respond in a condescending or worse manner.

And there are some who have much the same initial reaction but can't be bothered to respond to the same questions for the n'th time, and so are never deemed to be condescending or worse.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

A much better approach all around.

Not really.

I think it is better and more helpful to answer the OP explaining that there are many threads already covering the same question (when this is the case) and a search is a good idea to find them, rather than start typing it all out again from scratch.

But when I say so, some seem to take this as condescending, when it is not intended that way at all.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really.

I think it is better and more helpful to answer the OP explaining that there are many threads already covering the same question (when this is the case) and a search is a good idea to find them, rather than start typing it all out again from scratch.

But when I say so, some seem to take this as condescending, when it is not intended that way at all.

My guess is that “It’s the way you tell them”, as Frank Carson would have said.

Having said that, I would tend to agree although, when I have used the search option, it can either reveal hundreds of irrelevant posts, within which might be buried the gem required.... or no posts, or no relevant posts.

14 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It's important too to avoid giving the wrong answers.

Despite the wide range of answers - some of which are diametrically opposed to other answers, I'm sure that all of the posters considers his / her answer to be the correct one.

The difficulty for anyone, but more particularly newbies, is to sort out which one is correct and which is incorrect, particularly when they are both put forward with such convincing arguments.

Members who have frequented the forum for some years will have built up a list (in their mind) of whose answers they feel they can trust, and whose who have been regularly proven to be wrong.

An old saying :

"Always know all you say, but never say all you know"

Edited by Alan de Enfield