Replacing all tanks

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It would be more helpful and better for the forum's long term sustainability if when people were feeling cynical they politely advised the new member where they could find the material needed to do the research rather than making snide, condescending comments about the fact that the OP comes from London.

Thank you for this and all suggestions, I will look at everything :)

There are for sure some great advices from others as well. Thanks for all feedback, even if now I am not sure I will ever ask any more questions around here... You are probably happy about that. 

Original question was not "does it worth it" or "should I do this" but how and how much, as I am 100% sure living with someone else old sewerage under my deck is out of the question. Especially when I am used to reusing grey water in the garden or doing outside cleaning with it. 

I cannot use metal tanks or pipes because of personal reasons. If it's offensive to someone, I am sorry, I did not meant to offend your metal tanks. They are great for sure, just not for me. 

Wish you all great Sunday 

:)

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alice And The WonderCat said:

There are for sure some great advices from others as well. Thanks for all feedback, even if now I am not sure I will ever ask any more questions around here... You are probably happy about that. 

Original question was not "does it worth it" or "should I do this" but how and how much, as I am 100% sure living with someone else old sewerage under my deck is out of the question. Especially when I am used to reusing grey water in the garden or doing outside cleaning with it. 

I cannot use metal tanks or pipes because of personal reasons. If it's offensive to someone, I am sorry, I did not meant to offend your metal tanks. They are great for sure, just not for me. 

Now you have explained a bit more.

Your grey water goes straight into the canal and is not collected for reuse. The fresh water tank, depending on the boat you buy will probably be built in as part of the hull, if so your only option would be to put a rubber liner in it. Pipe work these days is normally plastic. And was said before, you will probably find the pump out tank, assuming you buy a boat with a pump out will be under the bed or in the toilet under the pan.

Some boats have stainless steel water tanks, does that give you a problem?

Do you have a boat in mind that you are buying?

Edited by ditchcrawler

20 minutes ago, Alice And The WonderCat said:

I cannot use metal tanks or pipes because of personal reasons.

That's as good reason as any. When it comes to your water tank they are generally integrated so you will likely need to talk to a welder who understands narrowboats to get a price on making the adjustments that you need to be able to fit a plastic water tank in the space where the old water tank was. The price they quote you will very likely be boat specific but they may be able to give you a ball park figure that they won't necessarily commit to. As for the replacement tank again the price will vary depending on the size, who makes it and whether it is off the shelf or made to measure. 

ETA - My local chandlery does 160 litre flexible tank for £500 :unsure:

A quick duckduckgoogle brings up these people who might be worth talking to. I'm sorry I can't be more help. 

https://www.tek-tanks.com/boat-tanks/narrowboats-barges/

http://hendersons.co.uk/boattank/plastic-water-tanks.html

https://www.thefitoutpontoon.co.uk/plumbing/water-tanks/

Edited by Tumshie

If you fit a rubber bladder as a liner to an existing integral steel tank you will retain almost the full volume of the existing tank. But a plastic ( or for that matter stainless steel) tank made to fit inside the existing tank will be quite a lot smaller, and so need refilling more frequently.

21 minutes ago, Alice And The WonderCat said:

as I am 100% sure living with someone else old sewerage under my deck is out of the question.

The answer to that is to flush through and pump out the black water tank a few times when you first get the boat, to ensure that the previous owner's poo is washed out.

24 minutes ago, Alice And The WonderCat said:

Especially when I am used to reusing grey water in the garden or doing outside cleaning with it. 

I don't think I have ever seen a narrow boat with a grey water tank - it just goes straight into the canal. If you want to water the plants on your roof or clean the boat exterior, just use a bucket on a rope to get some canal water. That way you are sort of using your grey water, but just using the canal as your grey water tank.

37 minutes ago, Alice And The WonderCat said:

But you are planning to live inside a big metal box???? ?

...............Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

But you are planning to live inside a big metal box???? ?

...............Dave

Also the use metal taps and metal pipes on water points, also hot water via a copper Calorifier for showering and water supplied to most CaRT facilities. I doubt there is anywhere where water does not pass through metal on the canal systems and for users of Narrowboats. 

Maybe time to re think about living on a boat if you can't use water that passes through metal for consumption and washing.

Edited by PD1964

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't for the life of me work out why everyone with a steel pump-out tank does not get inside it every three or four years and inspect it carefully, and re-black the inside as necessary.

:giggles:

eeks!

Edited by LadyG

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't for the life of me work out why everyone with a steel pump-out tank does not get inside it every three or four years and inspect it carefully, and re-black the inside as necessary.

:giggles:

No access hatch, maybe? :D

Plastic window cleaners tanks are really useful for everything except diesel. Some standard sizes fit under beds and front decks, they are not horribly expensive and I reckon they are good. It depends on the boat really and where the space is. Personally I would not insulate the floor either, others might disagree. Good luck and if you have a cat  put a plank or something alongside the boat somewhere so he / she can climb out when he / she falls in! Good luck and when you buy pretty much the most important thing is the corrosion and pitting of the hull.

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

I don't think I have ever seen a narrow boat with a grey water tank - it just goes straight into the canal. If you want to water the plants on your roof or clean the boat exterior, just use a bucket on a rope to get some canal water. That way you are sort of using your grey water, but just using the canal as your grey water tank.

I would be very careful with that idea, the water may be contaminated/disease carrying. I'd rather use my own grey water for flowers, and tap water for veg.

OP, I hope you have not been put off by the forum style, it's meant to be helpful / educational for all members, and you may think you have asked a simple Q but, with boats, there are usually many options / answers, and opinions.

Edited by LadyG

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

I would be very careful with that idea, the water may be contaminated/disease carrying. I'd rather use my own grey water for flowers, and tap water for veg.

OP, I hope you have not been put off by the forum style, it's meant to be helpful / educational for all members, and you may think you have asked a simple Q but, with boats, there are usually many options / answers, and opinions.

It's the "I cannot use metal tanks or pipes because of personal reasons"  that would be the problem not where she gets the water for flowers, as you say use tap water, straight away most taps are metal and water points use metal, unless she's going to pop down to Tesco's and buy 300 litre bottles of Virgin Spring water every time her plastic tank needs filling, there's no way she is going to avoid metal pipes.

Maybe she needs to rethink about living on a boat with the metal tank/pipe issue's.

Edited by PD1964

Here's a YouTube Vid about removing a black water pump out tank for the OP.

Considering she's planning on buying a narrow boat and hasn't got one yet, why does she just plan on buying a boat without a pump out tank and just plan on buying one with a cassette type? No brainer really.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Which is filled from metal pipes/taps/valves...

I know but what can you say, I just look at the thread and think "Typical London Newbie Question" planning on living on a boat so stand back for a flood of Posts can I, If I, will I, could I, or they want to reinvent the wheel questions that have been asked on here a hundred times before, then in the end they never buy a boat and disappear.

Sorry to all you experienced Newbies for being cynical, but we all know it's the truth

Edited by PD1964

20 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I know but what can you say, I just look at the thread and think "Typical London Newbie Question" planning on living on a boat so stand back for a flood of Posts can I, If I, will I, could I, or they want to reinvent the wheel questions that have been asked on here a hundred times before, then in the end they never buy a boat and disappear.

Sorry to all you experienced Newbies for being cynical, but we all know it's the truth

But, how are potential new boaters supposed to find out things if they don't ask and you would think that asking on a "canal" forum would be a good place to start. I know we have heard it all before but the folk asking haven't. Lets be a bit kinder to new folk! I appreciate that we don't often get the whole story at the beginning but we know what other info we need to enable us to be more helpful, so why not ask the original poster to provide it?  having said that, I must admit to being a wee bit puzzled by the "no metal pipes"  but I am sure there is a reason for it.

haggis

• Greenie 3

51 minutes ago, haggis said:

But, how are potential new boaters supposed to find out things if they don't ask and you would think that asking on a "canal" forum would be a good place to start. I know we have heard it all before but the folk asking haven't. Lets be a bit kinder to new folk! I appreciate that we don't often get the whole story at the beginning but we know what other info we need to enable us to be more helpful, so why not ask the original poster to provide it?  having said that, I must admit to being a wee bit puzzled by the "no metal pipes"  but I am sure there is a reason for it.

haggis

Since she is just planning and has not bought or has a boat yet, here's a quick and simple answer to her questions:

Buy a boat that has not got a pump out toilet but with a cassette type,  replace the cassette with your compositing toilet, simple as that.

Don't buy a boat with an integral built in water tank but one with a fabricated one, if you can get one with a poly plastic tank job done, if not make sure you can at least access it and get it professionally removed. This may involve removing wood paneling  and the cutting of the tank, then replace with a poly plastic tank, making sure it will fit through your doors.

It's not difficult to plan to buy a boat, she seems to have a thing about sewer/black water tanks on boats just BUY one without simple. 

With the metal thing, yes how are you not going to come into contact with water that has passed through metal on a 200 year old canal system?

Would love to know her thoughts ideas on that one.

It's maybe too easy to go straight on the New to Boating section instead of doing research and going down the canal and asking boat users,  I'm sure there will be more then a few on the London canals only too willing to give advice of real world London boating, many of which will be on the London Boaters Facebook site.

I found a video on YouTube within a minute of how to remove a pump out tank, if she watches the video she will see the uploader has also put them on about choosing and fitting a composting toilet. Not hard to find if you can be bothered to look.

Edited by PD1964

50 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

Agree, and one thing I have never understood is why some that clearly resent new people asking questions that are in their opinion, daft or poorly researched, instead of ignoring the question and moving on to another set of posts feel compelled to respond in a condescending or worse manner.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Agree, and one thing I have never understood is why some that clearly resent new people asking questions that are in their opinion, daft or poorly researched, instead of ignoring the question and moving on to another set of posts feel compelled to respond in a condescending or worse manner.

It's far easier these days to just go on these forums and ask and not get hands on and often still be non the wiser after reading the replies.  Then spend time doing research, getting out meeting boaters and getting a better understanding of how things work on the ground. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

haggis

Come March the 3rd this year I have been on this forum for 10 years. I don't post much because of the way that some of the "experienced" boaters answer questions. I have been subjected to, what I consider to be, a "holier than thou" type of response to my questions by people who really should know better. Ever since I have been here the bit that I have highlighted in red has been a recurring plea. It hasn't happened and nothing has changed.

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

It's far easier these days to just go on these forums and ask and not get hands on and often still be non the wiser after reading the replies.  Then spend time doing research, getting out meeting boaters and getting a better understanding of how things work on the ground. 

But she is asking boaters, as many as she can find in one location

• Greenie 2

My fresh water tank was integral in the hull and was grim, so I cleaned it out and dried it, then dropped a pair of plastic tanks in there which were exactly the size of the inspection cover.  One slid forward of the inspection hatch once dropped through giving 2 tanks inline, connected with a pipe at the bottom.

This gives 250L of drinkable fresh water and works a treat.

See grippatank.co.uk