IWA to protect waterways from HS2

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well there are more boaters there than there are here and reach a much bigger audience. I don't know if IWA are on Twitter, CRT are

I'm sure there are but I'll leave it to them. It was just a light hearted comment, (hence the Emoji), and not having the slightest inclination to join the Facebook revolution. Re Twitter, again not on it personally, but the front page of the IWA web site speaks about Twitter and it looks like they have a presence there.

Howard

On 23/02/2020 at 09:53, Grassman said:

It was the IWA who brought about the change from HS2's original plans of crossing the Trent & Mersey near Fradley Junction in 3 places to just one place now. They, together with some professional architects, worked out an alternative route which crossed the canal just once instead of the originally planned 3 places and also saved HS2 £55m.

Maybe they should look at all the rest of the route too!

43 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe they should look at all the rest of the route too!

Maybevthey should but I suspect that a response might be that it would be too much for the current full time IWA staff to taKE on and also that it would also be a massive challenge for local volunteers.

i would like to see HS2 canceelled totally and instead spend the money on existing road and rail infrastructure.

Howard

Edited by howardang

9 hours ago, Grassman said:

This has been made more difficult since the introduction of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) in 2018 which prevents them sending emails without the specific consent of the recipients, and this has severely reduced their scope for informing people about what they are doing. I doubt they have much of an advertising budget so they are reliant upon getting news published in the printed media or on the internet. 

I don't see why GDPR would get in the way of an organisation informing members of what it has been doing with the membership fee. Especially if they declared that usage when collecting the email address in the first place - what else would they want it for other than to collect next year's membership? Different matter about using it for advertising.

14 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I don't see why GDPR would get in the way of an organisation informing members of what it has been doing with the membership fee. Especially if they declared that usage when collecting the email address in the first place - what else would they want it for other than to collect next year's membership? Different matter about using it for advertising.

They do keep members informed. My comment about GDPR was in reply to Ditchcrawlers comment that they don't do a very good job of informing NON members of what they do. GDPR has made this extremely difficult now, unless potential non-member recipients specifically give permission to receive information/updates.

14 hours ago, Grassman said:

GDPR has made this extremely difficult now

Totally disagree. GDPR does nothing of the sort. GDPR does not stop the IWA posting as much info as they like on FB, Twitter or on their own website about their achievements for the general public to read.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally disagree. GDPR does nothing of the sort. GDPR does not stop the IWA posting as much info as they like on FB, Twitter or on their own website about their achievements for the general public to read.

Granted they could probably do better with Facebook and Twitter, however they do post a lot information on their website but people still have to be bothered to look at it (which you obviously haven't :) ). I don't know about Facebook or Twitter because I don't use them but I've heard from several sources that they are somewhat lacking with those.

They've recently had a new chairman whose background is in sales so I think we will probably see that changing.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Granted they could probably do better with Facebook and Twitter, however they do post a lot information on their website but people still have to be bothered to look at it (which you obviously haven't :) ). I don't know about Facebook or Twitter because I don't use them but I've heard from several sources that they are somewhat lacking with those.

They've recently had a new chairman whose background is in sales so I think we will probably see that changing.

Speaking personally, I find subscribing to the monthly newsletter (see link above) much more effective than following IWA on twitter and facebook. I do the latter, but I find it rather hit and miss in terms of finding out key information, and it's hard to search after the event.  I suspect social media is best used sparingly, to grab initial attention (eg a post to a facebook group run by a village on the route), with follow-up via other channels depending on what aspect of IWA's work the recipient is interested in. The new chairman's interview in the recent IWA magazine was interesting and as you say will lead to some changes.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I must admit I only visit their website if there is something specific I want to find.  I hope you are right about the new Chairman.

On 22/02/2020 at 17:09, Tony Brooks said:

and just how is the IWA going to actually protect the and just how is the IWA going to actually protect the waterways. I can;t see a load of huffing and puffing making much difference and I can't see the IWA luminaries taking direct action nowadays but we will see.

This ^^^^^       I was a member of the IWA for a couple of years until I saw that they were certainly not pro-active in their efforts to keep the waterways open. They were once the saviours of the canals a long time ago as we all know but the IWA have become more and more inactive in their campaigning as the years have gone by in my opinion. Current IWA members will, voraciously, attack that opinion but I'm afraid I haven't seen much, if anything, to change my opinion.  

I too used to belong to the IWA but whilst they still do some good I think their voice has become weak...they seem to me to just be a club for “holiday” boaters who take their £100k boats out of the marina once a year...when I was running a trip boat we decided that it was handy that some boats had a pennant on them saying that the steerer was “Incompetent With Attitude”.......

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

I too used to belong to the IWA but whilst they still do some good I think their voice has become weak...they seem to me to just be a club for “holiday” boaters who take their £100k boats out of the marina once a year...when I was running a trip boat we decided that it was handy that some boats had a pennant on them saying that the steerer was “Incompetent With Attitude”.......

I wont say what I thought about trip boat skippers.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/02/2020 at 09:53, Grassman said:

It was the IWA who brought about the change from HS2's original plans of crossing the Trent & Mersey near Fradley Junction in 3 places to just one place now. They, together with some professional architects, worked out an alternative route which crossed the canal just once instead of the originally planned 3 places and also saved HS2 £55m. Understandably HS2 agreed to it.

Does make you wonder why HS2 didn't spot it themselves...

20 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Does make you wonder why HS2 didn't spot it themselves...

Early HS2 plans were allegedly notorious for using old maps. The plan showing the route through Staveley reportedly completely missed off the restored canal and Basin

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

I suggest the only thing the GDPR prevents the IWA from doing is spamming non-members with 'news' those people have not expressed an interest in. 

A Good Thing in my personal opinion. 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wont say what I thought about trip boat skippers.

I agree with your sentiments, (despite having been a trip boat skipper myself at one time!) :captain: That sort of comment seems to be the attitude of those who don't seem to have any tolerance for those who go boating in a different way to others, and as for the comment about 100k boats, is that a genuine comment or is it just  jealousy? Where has the tolerance gone these days?

Howard

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, howardang said:

I agree with your sentiments, (despite having been a trip boat skipper myself at one time!) :captain: That sort of comment seems to be the attitude of those who don't seem to have any tolerance for those who go boating in a different way to others, and as for the comment about 100k boats, is that a genuine comment or is it just  jealousy? Where has the tolerance gone these days?

Howard

Tolerance should work both ways.....when I was running a trip boat it was the expensive shiny boat brigade who wouldn’t listen to local advice...I found hire boaters & those in what could be classed as “tatty” springers would listen and learn. I’m really not jealous of those who have money to burn...but those that refuse to learn deserve what they get....

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Tolerance should work both ways.....when I was running a trip boat it was the expensive shiny boat brigade who wouldn’t listen to local advice...I found hire boaters & those in what could be classed as “tatty” springers would listen and learn. I’m really not jealous of those who have money to burn...but those that refuse to learn deserve what they get....

So you assume that you know best - how would a stranger know that you are an expert. I don't. Just because you were running a trip boat?  I have come across both bad and good in charge of such boats, and you have made things worse by over generalisation. 

For what it is worth there are good and bad in all walks of life, and that includes boating. It is also worth pointing out that there is no such thing as a "shiny boat brigade" just a mix of individuals, some good and some bad.

You're just letting your bias show

Live and let live. It's supposed to be fun!

Howard

• Greenie 1

Just now, howardang said:

So you assume that you know best - how would a stranger know that you are an expert. I don't. Just because you were running a trip boat?  I have come across both bad and good in charge of such boats, and you have made things worse by over generalisation. 

For what it is worth there are good and bad in all walks of life, and that includes boating. It is also worth pointing out that there is no such thing as a "shiny boat brigade" just a mix of individuals, some good and some bad.

You're just letting your bias show

Live and let live. It's supposed to be fun!

Howard

I am always happy to take advice from someone who obviously boats in the area a lot...and a trip boat skipper is a good start....local knowledge is worth its weight in gold....but some seem to think they have nothing to learn....so don't be surprised when your boat is hit rather badly at a junction when its suggested it might not be the best place to moor....as it was an IWA on IWA moment i just walked away back to the trip boat mooring and left them arguing amongst themselves......

Boating is fun.....I wouldn't still be doing it for all these years if wasn't!....

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

I am always happy to take advice from someone who obviously boats in the area a lot...and a trip boat skipper is a good start....local knowledge is worth its weight in gold....but some seem to think they have nothing to learn....so don't be surprised when your boat is hit rather badly at a junction when its suggested it might not be the best place to moor....as it was an IWA on IWA moment i just walked away back to the trip boat mooring and left them arguing amongst themselves......

Boating is fun.....I wouldn't still be doing it for all these years if wasn't!....

Do you say the same if its two AWCC members or NABO members or is it just IWA members you don't like