Its happening again (Host Error)

huami

Featured Posts

perhaps it's a scam.   prob'ly cloudfare is a spoof website.

the missus had 6 phone calls from HMRC yesterday telling her that she MUST call an 0844 number immediately to discuss an important matter.....  I 'spect it's just a way of generating income from a premium phone line.

Edited by Murflynn

Anyone work/worked in IT? Those involved in the admin of this site do it for nowt and we expect it to be perfect? Cloudflare, DNS and content caching probably isn't something that a long explanation would enlighten most non IT types I assume. To those on the admin side, just another Friday f#up you don't need, and not site software.

I have just had it happen again after numerous times this morning. I am not a computer expert but events like this make me think about the safety of the site. I know that this site is maintained voluntarily, but that is no reason for using an unsecure site, and I for one would like to see a reaction from someone about what is happening, whether this site is secure and are there any risks involved in using it. I was about to consider making another donation to help maintain the forum but I am not prepared to do so unless I can be reassured. It makes me wonder if it is worth continuing to use this forum, which would be a great shame. 

Howard

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Anyone work/worked in IT? Those involved in the admin of this site do it for nowt and we expect it to be perfect? 

I don't really buy this. 

Ok Rich does it for free but the some of the users here pay to support the site. Are you saying the site would not suffer outages if Rich charged for his services?

The thing is, out of all the forums I visit this is the only one that has a continuous dribble of outages due to 'technical issues'. Why would that be? Or more accurately, why do the others not? This seems to illustrate it can be done. 

No other forums seem to suffer from the same effect, or do they? Does thunderboat for example have a technical glitch every month or two like here? I don't think so but I don't know for sure, not being a subscriber. 

22 minutes ago, howardang said:

I have just had it happen again after numerous times this morning. I am not a computer expert but events like this make me think about the safety of the site. I know that this site is maintained voluntarily, but that is no reason for using an unsecure site, and I for one would like to see a reaction from someone about what is happening, whether this site is secure and are there any risks involved in using it. I was about to consider making another donation to help maintain the forum but I am not prepared to do so unless I can be reassured. It makes me wonder if it is worth continuing to use this forum, which would be a great shame. 

Howard

There are far better providers of forum software which is (apparently) more stable and much easier to use (user friendly) but they do cost more.

VBulletin is one that in used on a couple of forums that I frequent and both have membership numbers, posts and threads in much greater numbers than CWDF. In 15 years I have never seen any 'downtime' or 'loss of service'.

CWDF

100,086 threads

2,395,421 posts

27,345 Members

??????? Active Members

Other Forum

525,036 Threads

4,563,412 Posts

117,245 Members

5,052 Active Members (Post at least once per week)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are far better providers of forum software which is (apparently) more stable and much easier to use (user friendly) but they do cost more.

VBulletin is one that in used on a couple of forums that I frequent and both have membership numbers, posts and threads in much greater numbers than CWDF. In 15 years I have never seen any 'downtime' or 'loss of service'.

Like many others, I use other forums and similar, and I do not experience the same issues, either instability unnecessary complication or downtime, all of which which has happened on this site. I am obviously aware that the site is run by someone who works for nothing, but I find it difficult to come to terms with accepting this as an excuse for a mediocre service, especially for a site that has a large number of members. This is especially relevant if there may be a danger of insecurity for the members.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1