Stove fitter reccomendation.

Paddlin Panda

Featured Posts

I have yet to decide which type of stove I want however, the boat I have under offer only has a Eberspacher D4W diesel system heating water and some rads.

I am thinking about having a stove fitted. Not sure yet on coal or diesel however, I do want it fitted properly and safely.

Can anyone recomend professional fitters in the East Midlands please ?

Many thanks,

Ian.

Does the boat have a locker built in for one or more gas cylinders already? If it was built as a gas-less boat, then retrofitting a gas locker that meets the boat safety scheme requirements would be extra expense and push you in the direction of diesel.

Jen

Edited with strikethrough 'cause it is complete twaddle!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Gas is not the question. I should be clearer.

The boat has a working heating system that runs radiators and hot water from a diesel fired Eberspacher D4W.

I am thinkling I might want a scondary source of heating so as to not be soley reliant on the Eberspacher for warmth.

Being mostly in a marina electric oil filled radiators may be an option however, I was wondering about the cost of either solid fule stove or Diesel stove.

I was wondering how much it would cost to have a stove fitted by a competent person.

Ball park upplyy and fit to standard.

Thanks,

Ian.

You are talking £2k ball park figure if the job is simple, and doesnt involve moving fixed furniture, units, cabling or piping in the vicinity.

Average stove-£500, flue pipe, collar, adapter, hearth build with correct thickness fire board, tiles, trim, roof hole cut, ceiling finish trim, fire rope and other insulation, cement, heat resistant silicone etc.

Edited by matty40s

If you want a sold fuel stove then it's fairly easy to fit it oneself with basic diy skills. The main thing is to plan it well first: make sure the hearth is well made; the stove and flue sit far enough from any combustibles and you're not having to cut through a roof support to fit the flue collar, etc.

I had a cast iron stove on my boat when I bought it which pretty much fell apart when I went to clean it. Had Mike from East Midlands Sweeps replace it with a welded steel Aarow 4 Plus and he did a fine job for just under a grand. Not specifically a boat installer so not too sure if he would do one from scratch, but perhaps worth giving him a call. 

Thank you all very much.

As I suspected it is going to cost me however, as we are heading in to spring (?!!) hopefully soon I have some time to save up and plan before next winter.

The Eber appears to be working nicely and if necessary an emergency lx heater can be brought in to play running offf shore power.

Thanks again.

Ian.

If you have shore power get yourself a thermostatically controlled oil filled electric radiator. Have a look on the Argos website, they have plenty from less than 1kW to 2.5kW output. That's generally not enough to heat a whole boat in the depths of winter but it's useful to even out the temperature of whatever your main heating source is. If it's warm enough onboard the thermostat will switch the heater off so it doesn't waste any power. It's also useful left on 5C if you're leaving the boat in winter to make sure pipes don't freeze. You should still switch off the pump and open a couple of taps to release the pressure in the system though.

Edited by blackrose

On 21/02/2020 at 12:30, Paddlin Panda said:

I have yet to decide which type of stove I want however, the boat I have under offer only has a Eberspacher D4W diesel system heating water and some rads.

I am thinking about having a stove fitted. Not sure yet on coal or diesel however, I do want it fitted properly and safely.

Can anyone recomend professional fitters in the East Midlands please ?

Many thanks,

Ian.

Dave Ross at Brinklow boat services will do a fine job, and depending how busy may travel.