Banning House coal and wet wood

dor

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I shall be picking over the pit tips on the Coventry canal, the ban will be on the sale not the use. So if not bought, no sin committed.

In theory,your sin will be "stealing by finding". Unless , of course, you own the waste tip. Even then, you may need a license to "mine" coal.

I'm now guilty of creating a problem that probably doesn't exist.?

Part of our moorings is a colliery waste tip, some coal is still to be had,

60 years after the pit closed and 80 years after our tip was created.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I shall be picking over the pit tips on the Coventry canal, the ban will be on the sale not the use. So if not bought, no sin committed.

There used to be a good stash in the cut at Apsley on the GU where the boats unloaded coal for John Dickinsons paper mills....it smoked enough to make Greta cough but it burnt rather well. 

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

There used to be a good stash in the cut at Apsley on the GU where the boats unloaded coal for John Dickinsons paper mills....it smoked enough to make Greta cough but it burnt rather well. 

There is a particularly prominent spoil tip next to the a483 Wrexham bypass and a few years ago someone proposed excavating and extracting some mineral or rare earth or similar and then follow up landscaping/development. 

The locals shouted very loudly, it seems they are rather proud of the local hill and wanted it left alone.

On 26/02/2020 at 17:21, Mike Todd said:

Not the best of post for that to happen!

No, particularly as the word is "pedantry".

On 26/02/2020 at 12:24, Machpoint005 said:

Adjectives don't have tenses.

...but tense is an adjective.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our farm (just North of Wrecsam) was on the site of the old Ffrwd canal, coal mine and iron and steel works (going back to the 1700's)

I came across coal when digging out cross country jumps (for horses) so investigated what was needed to extract it.

Looking at the old mine plans, it turned out that, that particular field was the old coal storage yard, we did not need a licence to extract the coal (as it had already been extracted), but we did need planning permission for change of use from agricultural to commercial.

Wrecsam LA gave us a 30 day 'exploratory' planning permission so we got a company in to investigate it for us.

They found a customer for the coal, provided excavators, buldozers and arranged a fleet of trucks to cart it to Chester, and we split the profits 50/50.

We managed to clear most of the field in (approximately) the 30 days and selling just over 100,000 tonnes of coal.

Whilst we had the big 21 tonne excavators on site I arranged for the driver to leave the key and used it in the evenings to finish the cross country course. It made it a lot easiert than my old JCB 3C.

No2 Son got quite involved "in the hole" helping the digger drivers

Richard In the pit (2).jpg

I always wondered how possible or likely  it would be to find a seam near the surface in the area, just a scavenge a few bags only for curiositys sake, not for any long term personal supplies.

I hope you've used that photo at an appropriate time to embarrass said son :)

28 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I hope you've used that photo at an appropriate time to embarrass said son

Certainly have - and considering he is 'blond' it shows how involved he was :

In the hole (showing the depth of the 'seam') :

Richrd in the Hole.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

as i wos taut . . .

Yes, "taut" is an adjective too.

"wos", on the other hand, is a jargon expression used only amongst record dealers and collectors.

Edited by Athy

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Yes, "taut" is an adjective too.

"wos", on the other hand, is a jargon expression used only amongst record dealers and collectors.

not the point : taut = tense (supposed to have been a joke but seems to have been missed)