Banning House coal and wet wood

dor

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Just a thought: If enough groundwater could be drained into an empty vessel that would then be the weight, once it reaches the bottom it would empty and rise back unaided, sort of an addition running parallel to the fixed weight setup. 

The companies I linked to seem to be using much denser materials than water as their weight, so a smaller bore hole is needed. You're describing something closer to a water turbine, either hydroelectric, or pumped storage. The big block of rock storage idea doesn't appear to be in use yet. Development phase. If it becomes widespread has yet to be seen.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

And a good thing too.  A few years ago in Birmingham there was this city wide street-side car hire thing called car2go where you accessed it through an app.  The idea was great.  The implementation was terrible though.  But if something like this was done properly, I'd probably look at giving up a car and simply picking up one as and when I need it.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/car2go-scrapped-year-after-setting-7167811

Great for town and city dwellers

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We are turning the clock back a few hundred years when weavers, spinners, and lots of others worked from home.

The Spinners didnt work from home. I saw them in a number of pubs and then in a number of venues once they got famous.

• Horror 1

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The companies I linked to seem to be using much denser materials than water as their weight, so a smaller bore hole is needed. You're describing something closer to a water turbine, either hydroelectric, or pumped storage. The big block of rock storage idea doesn't appear to be in use yet. Development phase. If it becomes widespread has yet to be seen.

Jen

My idea wood have the advantage of not needed excess power to winch back up, it would be sat there ready for an emergency, no power input req at all. 

ETA: + a water reserve. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

7 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

The only downside I can think of is the lack of spontaneity in stepping out of your door and straight into your car whenever you decide, room for both I think depending on your circumstances. 

When these cars are driverless, you'll just tap your phone 5 minutes before you set off, and it'll be waiting outside your house when you step out the door.  Like a taxi but with no added cost of paying a driver.  Then it will probably be cheaper than car ownership for most people.  More flexible too.  Need a 7 seater?  A van?  A pickup?  Fancy a luxury car day?  Hey presto - it appears for you.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

When these cars are driverless, you'll just tap your phone 5 minutes before you set off, and it'll be waiting outside your house when you step out the door.  Like a taxi but with no added cost of paying a driver.  Then it will probably be cheaper than car ownership for most people.  More flexible too.  Need a 7 seater?  A van?  A pickup?  Fancy a luxury car day?  Hey presto - it appears for you.

Yeah but some folk like to have their personal stamp on a vehicle.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

For me the range isn't the issue. I live on a boat and park my car near to wherever my boat is.  I have never seen a parking space near the canal where I could charge my car.  I also work.  My place of work doesn't have charging either.  So electric cars are dead in the water to me unless I'm provided with somewhere to charge it.

There's some spots in MK near the Boat pub!!!

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I meant the Tesla S that peterboat is always prattling on about...

The new Model 3 is quite a bit cheaper at 38k. You can also pick up used model S cars second hand for ~25k which have the free supercharging thingi

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I suspect that that is a very urban expectation - in rural areas it would be expensive.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

That would involve visiting Milton Keynes.  I went there once and vowed never to return.

Funny place MK, as someone who is keen on green space and trees I was frankly impressed,  genuinely surprised but the place lacked something and the centre is a soulless pit of concrete and shopping.

Plus what fool decided an Avenue of horse chestnuts is a good idea along the main drag into the centre, yeah thousands of small spiky bombs and cars mix really well, sorry very specific rant there :)

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funny place MK, as someone who is keen on green space and trees I was frankly impressed,  genuinely surprised but the place lacked something...

It wasn’t roundabouts...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funny place MK, as someone who is keen on green space and trees I was frankly impressed,  genuinely surprised but the place lacked something and the centre is a soulless pit of concrete and shopping.

Plus what fool decided an Avenue of horse chestnuts is a good idea along the main drag into the centre, yeah thousands of small spiky bombs and cars mix really well, sorry very specific rant there :)

The same fool who likes to plant limes along roads with lots of parked cars.

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

It's like Telford but worse.  How is it possible that a place which is so devoted to cars still doesn't have anywhere to park?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not as bad as the 'Magic Roundabout' where you can go around the 'wrong way'

Image result for milton keynes roundabout map

Image result for milton keynes roundabout map

Swindon and Colchester have Magic Roundabouts too.

• Greenie 1

On 21/02/2020 at 12:56, peterboat said:

Yup they are going to ban them and make life ever more difficult for them

No matter how you say it my boat is still way cleaner to run than yours every time you start that engine to get electric and hot water you are done for same as gas for cooking in the winter, late spring summer and early autumn hot water by solar for me and more electric than I know what to do with ?

You forgot to mention your large ICE generator.

57 minutes ago, sirweste said:

The new Model 3 is quite a bit cheaper at 38k. You can also pick up used model S cars second hand for ~25k which have the free supercharging thingi

I am fed up telling him that! Please could tell him from now on? I have looked at a couple of model S but truthfully I hate driving nowadays and want no cars in my life if possible 

7 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You forgot to mention your large ICE generator.

I have a 1 kw whispergen very small which was on when I got back to the boat and it was cold 2 weeks ago 4.4 kw of solar and a vawt make me self sufficient ta very muchly 

17 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The same fool who likes to plant limes along roads with lots of parked cars.

Nothing wrong with limes, robust trees that survive the very hostile conditions in those locations,  the more modern varieties have less honeydew issues as well.

Plus many of those trees were planted before to roads were rammed solid with cars, parked and on the move