Banning House coal and wet wood

dor

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Sorry to dissapoint but I do know what a 'whispergen' is and it still runs on diesel or kero so you are not self sufficient are you, that's my point.

4.6 KW of solar and 600 watt turbine, yes I am the whispergen was for when I had less solar still use it if I have been away from boat to do a fast warm up, on my current usage my kero will last the next 10 years in the fuel tank!!

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

You forgot to mention your large ICE generator.

5 hours ago, peterboat said:

I am fed up telling him that! Please could tell him from now on? I have looked at a couple of model S but truthfully I hate driving nowadays and want no cars in my life if possible 

I have a 1 kw whispergen very small which was on when I got back to the boat and it was cold 2 weeks ago 4.4 kw of solar and a vawt make me self sufficient ta very muchly 

33 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Sorry to dissapoint but I do know what a 'whispergen' is and it still runs on diesel or kero so you are not self sufficient are you, that's my point.

You clearly didn't know what a whispergen was, neither did I. 

Peter's claim that he's self sufficient is correct/true - sounds like the whispergen is non-essential and occasionally used as a supplementary piece of equip

Anyway, moving on. 

So 16 pages, we can still burn coal, but the sale of horrid coal is likely to be banned, it's 2020...it's about time. The purpose is clear to do with emissions and hard to argue with.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

In our local town Lidl have a couple in their car park, another reason to visit the middle of Lidl    https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news/lidl-pricing-update

Nearest supermarkets to here are 16 miles away!
Zap Map is a lot more accurate on where chargers are than the one linked to earlier but still nothing "public" near here. And none of the supermarkets.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Hospital car park was a nightmare. 20 mins queing to get in and 20 mins driving round and round to get a parking space.

Wasn’t UHCW then... it’s more like 30-40 mins driving round in circles. At least you don’t queue to get in... ;)

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

12 before they are taken off sale, unless the car makers drop them first which is very likely. i will explain why, car makers are caught with ever increasing tariffs on cars that produce more than 95 grams of CO2 per KM traveled Electric cars are exempt, as these pollution targets tighten up it will be just to difficult to meet them. So from their point of view they are throwing good money away trying to clean up ICE cars, why not just spend it on developing electric ones

Yes, but if someone already owns an ICE car, they will be free to continue to use it, unless I’ve missed something?

Cars seem to have around a 20 year life these days so, even if people stopped buying ICE in 2025, or makers stop making them, (both unlikely), there will still be plenty of ICE around in 2040 and later.

I thought the deadline was 2035.

Also hard to see new car sales being only EV in 2025, or even 2028.

47 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes, but if someone already owns an ICE car, they will be free to continue to use it, unless I’ve missed something?

Cars seem to have around a 20 year life these days so, even if people stopped buying ICE in 2025, or makers stop making them, (both unlikely), there will still be plenty of ICE around in 2040 and later.

When I was talking to a car salesman recently he expected there to be an increase of ICE sales in the year leading up to a ban of selling them as lots of people will buy a new car and run it for as long as they can.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Richard they're struggling to pass the emissions now soon it will be even harder to pass, so why bother? Spending ever larger amounts of money for ever smaller returns? Far easier to make EVs which pass the emissions test because they don't produce any

56 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When I was talking to a car salesman recently he expected there to be an increase of ICE sales in the year leading up to a ban of selling them as lots of people will buy a new car and run it for as long as they can.

The biggest buyer of new cars are companies from this year all the incentives are for EVs things will be different when those EVs hit the market secondhand 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I think that’s very possible.....let’s face it not only do EV’s use some pretty nasty elements in the batteries there’s the small matter of the nuclear waste from the power stations....it’s not all fluffy windmills   

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Just back from a hospital as one of our sprogs was producing another grand sprog.

Hospital car park was a nightmare. 20 mins queing to get in and 20 mins driving round and round to get a parking space. Oh for an EV. There were 6 parking slots with chargers ALL empty, waiting for an EV to come along. For at least the next year, so of the prime parking spots will be empty for EVs to park in.

Surely more people on the planet  won’t help Global warming at all?  We need less people not more! 

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Typical car salesman bullsh*t. It's ignoring the fact that by the time ICE sales are banned it's a racing certainty that the emissions taxes on them (and fuel) will have been raised sky-high to get more money for the government and discourage people from using them. Sure you can buy one, but running it will cost a fortune, and a bigger one each year, and the second-hand value will be next to nothing.

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

Typical car salesman bullsh*t. It's ignoring the fact that by the time ICE sales are banned it's a racing certainty that the emissions taxes on them (and fuel) will have been raised sky-high to get more money for the government and discourage people from using them. Sure you can buy one, but running it will cost a fortune, and a bigger one each year, and the second-hand value will be next to nothing.

Yes but some people support large governments, and cry foul when they try to slim down a little.

15 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Doesn't need to be, if it was possible to charge an EV in 5/10 minutes the existing petrol station network would be sufficient once adapted 

Exactly.  If that technology arrives (graphene batteries?) then problem solved.  Electric cars will properly take off because we'd all use them just how we use fossil fuel powered cars.

14 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Great in urban areas, but how is it going to work when you live in a village of 200 people in the foot hills of Plynlimon?

Probably even easier to implement in small rural communities.  The community could get together and decide how many cars they we need collectively and then start a car share club between them.  Doesn't even need some big corporation to provide the cars.  I would expect some entrepreneur to come up with an app which various clubs could piggyback on, a bit like how airbnb or uber provide the IT infrastructure for indivduals to use for their own needs.

I noticed Starley & Sutton Co (forerunner of the Rover Car Co.) produced an electric car in 1888. Albeit it looks more like a tricycle. In fact twas a hybrid. Pedal and leccky. Accumulator in the basket.

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Probably even easier to implement in small rural communities.  The community could get together and decide how many cars they we need collectively and then start a car share club between them.  Doesn't even need some big corporation to provide the cars.  I would expect some entrepreneur to come up with an app which various clubs could piggyback on, a bit like how airbnb or uber provide the IT infrastructure for indivduals to use for their own needs.

And if they get it right communities will interchange vehicles occasionally - For example we might book a medium size vehicle to take two adults, a dog and some luggage on holiday to Scotland, We won't need it while we are there but it's not worth the (autonomous) vehicle coming all the way back to MK empty only to go back next weekend to collect us so I'd imagine it will park itself somewhere near Ft William and make its presence know locally. By the time we return the following weekend it might have done a few trips for the locals, we might have (but not care) a completely different vehicle to take us back home leaving the MK one 'up North.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The tense doesn't match.

'Many-er', perhaps....

No, you have to rearrange the sentence structure. Don’t blame me, blame our mongrel language. 

‘Many more’ would replace ‘fewer’.