Banning House coal and wet wood

dor

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Vertical axis wind turbine 

Ooh, I like them, neatest one I saw was one designed for 3rd world, floated in an oil drum of water and sails made from plastic guttering which hinged in and out like a steam engine governer, as the wind speed increased they spread out due to centrifugal force and regulated the speed. Very elegant. 

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Vertical axis wind turbine 

who needs one of those when a vest will do just as well?

13 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Nothing wrong with limes, robust trees that survive the very hostile conditions in those locations,  the more modern varieties have less honeydew issues as well.

Plus many of those trees were planted before to roads were rammed solid with cars, parked and on the move

They're awful things.  Everything about them is wrong.  Plenty of other more suitable trees.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

who needs one of those when a vest will do just as well?

They're awful things.  Everything about them is wrong.  Plenty of other more suitable trees.

Well we have to differ, good robust long lived solid trees, that tend to be free of fungi related nasties and don't have a nasty habit of shedding branches or developing structural faults, yes the honeydew thing winds people up and the older forms produce epicormic like mad but overall a stunning street tree.

To add, as it happens there are very few good street/highway trees most of the smaller cherrys/sorbus types either die or fall over fairly quickly,  some exceptions to this obviously but as a rule

Edited by tree monkey

52 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I am fed up telling him that! Please could tell him from now on? I have looked at a couple of model S but truthfully I hate driving nowadays and want no cars in my life if possible 

I have a 1 kw whispergen very small which was on when I got back to the boat and it was cold 2 weeks ago 4.4 kw of solar and a vawt make me self sufficient ta very muchly 

Why do you need a generator when you have  "more electric than I know what to do with " ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

25k!!!

Not many ordinary folks have that much money to buy a car.

Never said they did, the post I was responding to said that they cost £60k, which some of them do, but others don't.

Personally the most I've ever spent is £5k on my mini. In the current fleet I have the Van: 1.4k, MG: 0.7k, BSA: 2.5k.

The lass however just bought a car for £22k, which is probably close to the actual average spent on cars here. Second hand average price being ~13k and new price being £33k. So I'd argue that 'ordinary folk' would be average and as such they do have ~25k to spend on a car.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

It’s like the Times Cryptic Crossword sometimes :( 

I'm personally not a fan of symbolism or acronyms , however googling VAWT quickly told me what it was

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, peterboat said:

Of no help to me, then.
Centering that on my town shows ONE charge point that has been out of use and disconnected for 3 years after the Solar Company that was in the unit closed down. I do know there are 2 others, but both are at private properties.
The next nearest is at a group of holiday cottages 4 miles away!

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

When these cars are driverless, you'll just tap your phone 5 minutes before you set off, and it'll be waiting outside your house when you step out the door.  Like a taxi but with no added cost of paying a driver.  Then it will probably be cheaper than car ownership for most people.  More flexible too.  Need a 7 seater?  A van?  A pickup?  Fancy a luxury car day?  Hey presto - it appears for you.

Great in urban areas, but how is it going to work when you live in a village of 200 people in the foot hills of Plynlimon?

5 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Of no help to me, then.
Centering that on my town shows ONE charge point that has been out of use and disconnected for 3 years after the Solar Company that was in the unit closed down. I do know there are 2 others, but both are at private properties.

Luxury - the nearest to me is 8 miles away.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Of no help to me, then.

In our local town Lidl have a couple in their car park, another reason to visit the middle of Lidl    https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news/lidl-pricing-update

Edited by ditchcrawler

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Why do you need a generator when you have  "more electric than I know what to do with " ?

Because its a central heating boiler as well does two jobs

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

20+ years away?

12 before they are taken off sale, unless the car makers drop them first which is very likely. i will explain why, car makers are caught with ever increasing tariffs on cars that produce more than 95 grams of CO2 per KM traveled Electric cars are exempt, as these pollution targets tighten up it will be just to difficult to meet them. So from their point of view they are throwing good money away trying to clean up ICE cars, why not just spend it on developing electric ones

Edited by peterboat

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

In our local town Lidl have a couple in their car park, another reason to visit the middle of Lidl    https://pod-point.com/electric-car-news/lidl-pricing-update

Just back from a hospital as one of our sprogs was producing another grand sprog.

Hospital car park was a nightmare. 20 mins queing to get in and 20 mins driving round and round to get a parking space. Oh for an EV. There were 6 parking slots with chargers ALL empty, waiting for an EV to come along. For at least the next year, so of the prime parking spots will be empty for EVs to park in.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Dont think he does but google is your friend, I havent ran mine for a couple of weeks now, its not cold and the solar and turbine have done its stuff

Sorry to dissapoint but I do know what a 'whispergen' is and it still runs on diesel or kero so you are not self sufficient are you, that's my point.

• Greenie 2