Banning House coal and wet wood

dor

Featured Posts

So the nub of it for me is, will I still be able to buy a load of unsawn unsplit logs from the tree surgeon, prep and dry them myself as I do now at home? 

Perhaps I can buy them to make a bug hotel? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

So the nub of it for me is, will I still be able to buy a load of unsawn unsplit logs from the tree surgeon, prep and dry them myself as I do now at home? 

Yes, it will be sold "requires seasoning"

21 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Depends if they are sold as fuel, sold as timber wouldn't count I assume. 

1 hour ago, markeymark said:

They are only going to ban the sale of new vehicles by 2023

Who’s ‘they’?  UK has said ‘by 2040’. 

Edited by WotEver
Gov moved the goalposts when I wasn’t looking

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Evidence on a probability? 

Ah, yes, spread any kind of rubbish you choose to invent, use the word "probably" and you get away with anything. And the thought sticks without the caveat. You should work for Cummings with lying skills like that. You'd probably fit in perfectly.

Edited by Onionman
  • Greenie 2

53 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And is manufactured solid fuel any better than coal?

Not for CO2 emissions if it is mainly carbon..ie smokeless coal. However, its not all about CO2 and the 'coal' ban is also about particulates, NOx and other nasties like SOx. Part of the ban is to remove sulphur which causes the SOx (a precursor of sulphuric acid) - so the ban is about getting cleaner burning stuff ie no NOx, no SOx and no dioxcin!

The smokeless stuff we are buying still has some 'nasty forming' stuff in but a lot less. Not that it is smokeless! Our excel smokes like a good 'un for a good half hour choking everyone who breathes it in. The smoke is essentially particles of solid 'ash' or part burnt coal along with the nasty gasses.

So yes, smokeless fuel is a lot better (cleaner) than 'House' coal but still gives off the same level of CO2.

56 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Buy them for a bug hotel. Build a new bug hotel next year. Burn the old one to get rid of it. Dont burn the bugs.

From the Guardian :

Summary

Will this have a positive climate impact?

Very little, at least in the short term when people are likely to switch to dry wood or manufactured smokeless fuels. Looking further ahead, the extra cost of that fuel might encourage more house owners to consider making their homes more energy efficient, which would be help to reduce emissions. UK buildings have one of the worst records in Europe when it comes to retaining heat.

Switching to lower-carbon or renewable energy, such as ground-source heat pumps, would make an even bigger difference, but this would require infrastructure investment and incentives from the government to make the alternatives affordable and widely available. If the UK wants to have a double-win on air pollution and climate, another option would be action on transport, including tighter controls on car emissions, more investment in public transit, greater support for electric vehicles and a levy on aviation fuel (which is currently tax-free). Compared with that, the restrictions on domestic coal use and wet wood are a drop in the ocean.

19 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Ah, yes, spread any kind of rubbish you choose to invent, use the word "probably" and you get away with anything. And the thought sticks without the caveat. You should work for Cummings with lying skills like that. You'd probably fit in perfectly.

Let me guess? Another sore loser? ?

6 hours ago, matty40s said:

No, leave it, it's the thin end of the wedge.

We were in Cork ,ROI in December and stoves are being banned completely there in a couple of years...

A sensible decision for Ireland.  They're up there with Poland with using solid fuel to heat houses. 

In its most recent air quality report, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noted that 1,180 people die prematurely due to air pollution in Ireland every year. The report – published on World Lung Day – found that particulate matter (fine particles) from domestic burning of solid fuels was one of two main culprits of poor air quality. Nitrogen dioxide from vehicle emissions in urban areas was the other.

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

We used to ‘forage’ for coal in Broseley, Shropshire in the 80s. There was a small opencast pit near us and one drove in and onto a weighbridge, then parked up by a large pile of coal in all sizes of lump from huge to dust, filled up the boot with what one thought the car could safely carry, and drove onto the weighbridge again.

I seem to remember a price of around £20 a ton, but it was very smoky coal.

Broseley , fancy you mentioning that . I spent a bit of time up there some Years back , I was totally ignorant of the Industrial Heritage of the Area which on reflection will probably be no great surprise to you , a fascinating Landscape with Ironbridge nearby and now a World Heritage Site I believe . Thanks for mentioning I had almost forgotten .

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Yes, it will be sold "requires seasoning"

But only in larger loads, over 2 cubic metres.

You won't be able to buy a small bag of unseasoned wood from the local garage, but you can still get a trailer load from the tree surgeon.

If the tree surgeon also seasons the wood you can buy smaller quantities of dry (less than 20% moisture) wood from them.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

You won't be able to buy a small bag of unseasoned wood from the local garage, but you can still get a trailer load from the tree surgeon.

If the tree surgeon also seasons the wood you can buy smaller quantities of dry (less than 20% moisture) wood from them.

Bloody good thing, those stupid yuppie bags from the garage are con, I can't imagine anyone delivering less than 2 cube anyway.

Slightly off topic I remember when we couldn't give loads of timber away, now the wood goblins drive into work sites with their own saws

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Let me guess? Another sore loser? ?

Let me guess. Another person who thinks that debate must be stifled at all costs and who start by calling people who point out lies as "sore losers".

I've seen and met literally dozens of your kind who won't debate and have to make up "facts" (or "probabilities" if you prefer) followed by inevitable name-calling when caught out in lies. It's so consistent, so knee-jerk and, frankly, it's boring and predictable. Give us something original for heaven's sake. Go on, say something interesting. We're hanging on your every word.

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, markeymark said:

They are only going to ban the sale of new vehicles by 2023 (maybe but lets see what the fossil fuel lobbyists mange to pull off) but what about the 28 million cars which are currently driving around and could be around for years to come. ...

Once the ban on new vehicles comes in (which I think is 2035, or perhaps 2032), I think we can expect to see a gradual ramping up of incentives of dispose of existing vehicles.  Over a period, probably more stringent MOT emissions tests, significant increases in VED, etc.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good! Phew! 

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Could a mod change the topic title since the story isn't about banning stoves.  Maybe something like 'banning housecoal and wet wood'

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Do you have any evidence of this?  I've just had a look and all I can find is related to banning the sale of housecoal, the same as over here.

Scaremongering?

Contradicted yourself within an hour.

25 minutes ago, Onionman said:

They can never move on. That's the horror of nationalist politics. Blame X for all the problems in life. Expel X (or leave X, or whatever). Things stay the same. Keep blaming X for what they did in the past. All problems are always solely X's fault forever.

Watch Trump with Clinton. He beat her three years ago and is still obsessed with blaming her for everything that's wrong in the USA.  Brexit, Trump, same playbook.

They're already preparing the ground to blame the EU for every single bit of trouble that happens after Brexit. The blame game will never be over until the leave generation dies out and our outward-looking kids take us back in.

This is truly hilarious. Truly the most obvious piece of sore loser rhetoric ever. You wish to remain stuck firmly in the past with a failing overbearing club and you think your ideas are more forward thinking. You are clueless but luckily the majority are not lol. 

Edited by mrsmelly

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This is truly hilarious. Truly the most obvious piece of sore loser rhetoric ever. You wish to remain stuck firmly in the past with a failing overbearing club and you think your ideas are more forward thinking. You are clueless but luckily the majority are not lol. 

Oh come on, I asked you to be interesting. At least try...

Edited by Onionman