Results of Canal & River Trust Council elections

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

20 February 2020

RESULTS OF CANAL & RIVER TRUST COUNCIL ELECTIONS

The Canal & River Trust has announced the results of the voting to elect new representatives to the charity’s Council.  Each elected candidate will take up their voluntary post for four years starting in March 2020.

The elected Council representatives are as follows:

Private boating: 

Tim Allen

Helen Hutt

Dave Mendes da Costa

Phil Prettyman

Business boating:

Heather Duncan

Carl Onens

Volunteers: 

Ian McCarthy

David Williams

Employees: 

John Ellis

Stella Ridgway has been appointed as the new representative for Friends of the Trust and David Kent the new angling representative, both appointed without election as they were the sole candidates.

Allan Leighton, chair of the Canal & River Trust, said: “I would like to thank all those who put themselves forward for election, and all those who voted for them.  I’d also like to thank the outgoing Council members who have contributed to the success of the Trust these past years 

“The Council plays an important part in the governance of the Trust and brings new voices, ideas and perspectives to our work.  As we continue our work to bring to life our 2,000 miles of waterways, I very much look forward to working with the new representatives when they join us in March.”

The Council is made up of elected and independently nominated members including the chairs of the six regional advisory boards and a representative from the Trust’s Welsh Bwrdd.  Together they reflect the wide appeal of the waterways – from boating and angling through to walking and conservation.  The Council is responsible for the appointment of trustees.  It debates important points of principle to provide guidance and perspective from different stakeholders, suggesting issues of concern for the trustees to pursue, and acts as a sounding board for the trustees in relation to the development of proposals and strategy.

All new appointees will commence their new terms from 26 March 2020 for four years.  More information on the results can be found here:  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/how-we-are-run/the-council/council-elections-2019-20

ENDS

Fran Read

National press officer

I work Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays

M  07796 610 427

E  fran.read@canalrivertrustorg.uk