Rudder Bearing

Liam

Featured Posts

We have been having problems with a shaking tiller, so when we arranged for the boat to come out of the water we also arranged for an engineer to have a look at the cup on the skeg which the rudder sits in. In short, it turns out that the cup on the skeg is fine, the bearing which holds the tiller/rudder above on the counter is causing the problems. The engineer said it needs replacing as that is what's causing the problem. He showed me what he meant and it appears to be broken, although the boat is still driveable.

I've had a look at the bearing, and stamped on it is "F208J NBR". I've tried googling this and nothing comes up. I've had a look at the Midland Chandlers website and have found these two..

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/kevint/Files/175922

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/kevint/Files/175914

By looking at them, they're obviously different but would they be ok as a replacement? They're both down as being 40mm, and obviously I'd need to check the diameter or should I continue to search for an identical bearing?

Also, the engineer which did look at the boat originally did say that if we sourced a replacement he would fit it for us, but I'm wondering how big the job is? Can it be done in the water? I presume so but would like to check either way.

The bearing we currently have on the boat looks like this... (sorry about the pic, but best I could find...)

rudder-bearing.gif

just a second thought for you my friend Alison had exactly the same problem with the tiller shaking and it was fixed by putting a grease nippe in and packing the tiller shaft with grease don't know if this will help or not but I know I always prefer options.

Hi Chrisy,

There is a grease nipple there but I don't think it's ever been used. When we bought the boat we greased the bearing and although it did shut the squeeking up, it's not going to fix the problem as the bearing has actually split, and therefore needs replacing but thank you for the tip.

We have been having problems with a shaking tiller, so when we arranged for the boat to come out of the water we also arranged for an engineer to have a look at the cup on the skeg which the rudder sits in. In short, it turns out that the cup on the skeg is fine, the bearing which holds the tiller/rudder above on the counter is causing the problems. The engineer said it needs replacing as that is what's causing the problem. He showed me what he meant and it appears to be broken, although the boat is still driveable.

I've had a look at the bearing, and stamped on it is "F208J NBR". I've tried googling this and nothing comes up. I've had a look at the Midland Chandlers website and have found these two..

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/kevint/Files/175922

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/kevint/Files/175914

By looking at them, they're obviously different but would they be ok as a replacement? They're both down as being 40mm, and obviously I'd need to check the diameter or should I continue to search for an identical bearing?

Also, the engineer which did look at the boat originally did say that if we sourced a replacement he would fit it for us, but I'm wondering how big the job is? Can it be done in the water? I presume so but would like to check either way.

The bearing we currently have on the boat looks like this... (sorry about the pic, but best I could find...)

rudder-bearing.gif

Is it the cast iron housing which has split, or the bearing itself?

What you probably have is one of these, or equivalent:-

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_i...oducts_id=21172

The midland chandlers job you show is more than likely a 'cheap & cheerful' equivalent. No problem with that, these things usually die from corrosion rather than wear.

The plastic one you show needs no lubrication, & doesn't suffer from corrosion in the same way. They do wear, though, especially if the bit of shaft they're running on is a bit rough.

Of course, whatever you fit must be for the right shaft diameter & there's no 'standard size'. 40mm is quite common, though, & the number you quoted looks as though it's probably a 40mm number

Sometimes the grease nipple only greases the spherical seating in the bearing housing, & not the bearing itself.

Replacement can be a bit more work than at first sight, separating the ram's head from the rudder shaft, and getting the old bearing off & new one on if the shaft is corroded or caked with paint can be quite time consuming.

Tim

These bearing are very standard gear and any good bearing supplier will fix you up with a new one. It happens that I have had one for sale in For Sale & Wanted.

This particular one is !.25" dia to suit the older Liverpool Boats but all sizes, metric and imperial are available. The greaser does in fact grease the main bearing, a circumferential groove in the housing directs the lubricant to where it is needed.

The 'kit' I am advertising includes an interface plate to convert the on the old style of Liverpool Boats.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=2220

Edited by John Orentas

Am I right in saying that the rudder is supported as one piece (rudder flap and rudder post) by the cup in the skeg and runs in a circular bearing at the top of it, which is bolted on the back deck (where the swansneck attaches to ?)

I'm trying to visualise what is hidden inside the boat !

Edited by Windjammer

Am I right in saying that the rudder is supported as one piece (rudder flap and rudder post) by the cup in the skeg and runs in a circular bearing at the top of it, which is bolted on the back deck (where the swansneck attaches to ?)

Basically, yes.

Usually the weight is taken on the skeg, that is generally preferable.

Some cases of 'rudder rattle' can be traced to the weight being taken - either by accident or design - by the upper bearing, leaving the post free to flap about in the skeg cup.

Tim

I'm trying to visualise what is hidden inside the boat !

Pretty much so, yeah. The rudder post sits in a cup which is welded to the skeg. The post then goes up through the counter, and it's this post which the rudder blade is attached to. Above the counter, the post comes up through the bearing, and then the tiller is bolted to this post which is about 6 inches high. You've then got the swan neck, and the tiller bar which fixes onto this.

As far as my search for a replacement bearing, Gary Peacock has come to the rescue and has ordered a replacement for me. I've been to the boat, measured the diameter (1 1/2") and it should be arriving at Gary's yard on Monday. More measurements will be taken to make sure it's the right one, which I think it is, so the job's a goodun! (Cheers Gary).