Comfrey, Leighton Buzzard

Izz

Featured Posts

Its a local Boat thats been around the area for a year or two , I guess with the cruiser stern its probably a case of heavy rainfall and an inoperative or inadequate bilge pump . I wouldn't have thought its in any danger of sinking soon as judging by the Black Bin Bag it looks to be lived upon , was there a Toilet on the Roof ?

Edited by Parahandy

I'm not sure what the second photo is showing, but the first one doesn't look particularly unusual for that particular boat.

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Its a local Boat thats been around the area for a year or two

It's not surprising it has been around that area for a while, as I believe that is its permanent CRT mooring.

It certainly has been lived on when I have moored near it.

Edited by alan_fincher

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure what the second photo is showing, but the first one doesn't look particularly unusual for that particular boat.

It's not surprising it has been around that area for a while, as I believe that is its permanent CRT mooring.

It certainly has been lived on when I have moored near it.

Possibly on a CRT Winter Mooring Alan ?

6 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Possibly on a CRT Winter Mooring Alan ?

It is most certainly a permanent mooring. To my knowledge it has been there for over 30 years. For many years it said Comfrey, Bollington on the side panel but I don't think it still does.

27 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The second pic looks awfully like a trapped dog  Can the OP please explain?

Looks to me like the water is lapping up to a hull opening, cannot tell if it is an exhaust or a cratch drain..

Surly it is better for the OP to raise the possibility in error than the boat sinking because no one reported it

• Love 2
  • Happy 1

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

Just because a boat is listing doesn't mean it's sinking. You're exaggerating.

I wasn't exaggerating. The boat was listing much worse than it looks in the picture and as can be plainly seen in the second picture, there was water going in through a hole in the hull.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Izz said:

It's not a cratch drain. It's on the stern.

I don't get why people are taking the piss. One day something might go tits up with their unattended boat and a passer by will decide not to alert anyone on websites like this because they'll only get shit for their good intentions.

Firstly the Boat isn't unattended its being lived on , secondly we have ascertained that not only is it being lived on its been moored in the same location for years surrounded by Boats in a similar position and therefore that gives People a certain degree of confidence that any issue assuming there is an issue has already been recognised . Perhaps in future the best remedy would simply be knock on the Boats door and raise your concerns or failing that knock on the door of an adjacent Boat , I say this because there is a limit to what an Internet Forum such as this one can do in this regard . I must admit to having a certain interest in the hole , clearly its drilled there for a reason and other than drainage its hard to understand any other . I dont know if you have a Boat yourself or simply enjoy the Waterways but there is also a weekly Patrol by a CRT Enforcement Officer who logs the position of all these Boats so if there was anything untoward , from experience I am sure Phil will have it covered .

Edited by Parahandy

48 minutes ago, Old Son said:

So in future don't mention it on this forum!! :judge:

Personally I am thankful for the concern of the OP but its like all things , you cant cry foul when others after ascertaining a few facts dont share that concern . 

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Izz said:

I wasn't exaggerating. The boat was listing much worse than it looks in the picture and as can be plainly seen in the second picture, there was water going in through a hole in the hull.

5 hours ago, Izz said:

I don't get why people are taking the piss. One day something might go tits up with their unattended boat and a passer by will decide not to alert anyone on websites like this because they'll only get shit for their good intentions.

I don't think anybody is "taking the piss".

What I'm struggling with though is that you have posted a picture of the boat apparantly with the lower band on the counter set at a fairly even distance with respect to the waterline all the way around.

It simply doesn't look like a boat that is listing heavily, but if it is, I'm not sure why you have not taken a picture that shows it.

6 hours ago, Izz said:

Have you phoned CRT and informed them? They may be able to contact the owner.

I agree that there is little point in flagging up potentially serious issues like this on an internet forum. It's probably less time consuming phoning CRT too (ahem) ;)

18 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

Have you phoned CRT and informed them? They may be able to contact the owner.

I agree that there is little point in flagging up potentially serious issues like this on an internet forum. It's probably less time consuming phoning CRT too (ahem) ;)

Have you tried knocking on the side to see if the owners are actually on board?

In my experience they regularly are.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think anybody is "taking the piss".

What I'm struggling with though is that you have posted a picture of the boat apparantly with the lower band on the counter set at a fairly even distance with respect to the waterline all the way around.

It simply doesn't look like a boat that is listing heavily, but if it is, I'm not sure why you have not taken a picture that shows it.

Would this lower band on the counter be the one that’s completely out of the water on the right hand side of the hull but has dipped completely below the water below the rear fender?

Must be the water sloping.

JP

PS - no need for mansplaining that water doesn’t slope.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Would this lower band on the counter be the one that’s completely out of the water on the right hand side of the hull but has dipped completely below the water below the rear fender?

Must be the water sloping.

JP

PS - no need for mansplaining that water doesn’t slope.

You are of course correct.

I have misread the picture.

Should have gone to Specsavers, it seems.

EDITED TO ADD:

However I still don't think we are looking at anything particularly unusual for that particular boat.

The picture of the "hole", (whatever it is for), clearly shows a lot of weed growth immediately below it, making me think it is sitting at about its usual level. 

The "hole" is on the side of the boat that is tilted upwards, rather than downwards, if it is the same one as you can see in the first picture.

Edited by alan_fincher
Typos and countless missing etters!
  • Greenie 1

Well I say well done to the OP for raising the issue, a non boater taking the trouble to try and alert the boating community to what they believe is a potential problem. Not every one has the same knowledge about boats or who to contact that we all have.

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

You are of course correct.

I have misread the picture.

Should have gone to Specsavers, it seems.

Thanks for a magnanimous response to a slightly sarky prompt.

The OP was a new member. I doubt they’re going to be sticking around. That’s a shame because broadening the demographic of the forum would make it a better place.

JP

• Greenie 4