Calder & Hebble lIkely to be closed for 12 months

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Midnight said:

The lock chambers, gates and walls seem to be reasonably intact. It's getting the water course dredged, the by-wash areas rebuilt and some resilience to prevent further flood damage that's going to be the bigger problem. Maybe possible to get restricted passage sooner than they are predicting. (where's the praying hands emoji when you need it?)

As far as I can see there are no tie bars going back from the lock wall into the ground behind. Leaves the lock wall pretty vulnerable at the moment but perhaps they will be added now there is a chance to do it.

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

As far as I can see there are no tie bars going back from the lock wall into the ground behind. Leaves the lock wall pretty vulnerable at the moment but perhaps they will be added now there is a chance to do it.

It's the missing "ground behind" that's the problem!

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's the missing "ground behind" that's the problem!

yes, I realise that - the pictures are quite graphic. Perhaps I should have said "the ground behind that was there a month ago and will have to be replaced as part of the repair" - but that's a bit longer . . . 

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

yes, I realise that - the pictures are quite graphic. Perhaps I should have said "the ground behind that was there a month ago and will have to be replaced as part of the repair" - but that's a bit longer . . . 

Don't worry, it was only tongue in cheek.

It will be interesting to see how much damage has been caused to the lock itself - it looks OK on a shaky phone video, but it does not have to have moved far to need a rebuild.

I know some halfwits are stating they could mend it in a week with a digger because its only moving a bit of soil, but I'd hope CRT survey the lock before they start major groundworks.  There's not much point putting in all that effort to find the lock chamber has moved after you have finished the job!

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't worry, it was only tongue in cheek.

It will be interesting to see how much damage has been caused to the lock itself - it looks OK on a shaky phone video, but it does not have to have moved far to need a rebuild.

I know some halfwits are stating they could mend it in a week with a digger because its only moving a bit of soil, but I'd hope CRT survey the lock before they start major groundworks.  There's not much point putting in all that effort to find the lock chamber has moved after you have finished the job!

And I realised that as well!

I posted a longer comment on NBW after being somewhat irked by a populist article that even said that there were Three Locks!

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

There were ... 

The one that used to drop down to the river is no longer functional as a lock, but you can still see it.

Apart perhaps for a short time I don't think they were all in use at the same time as the two replaced the one.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Apart perhaps for a short time I don't think they were all in use at the same time as the two replaced the one.

And the figure of three refers to a bend in the river istr

Was there a lock on the river between figure of three and Horbury? If not Might be easier to reopen that route in the short term.... (not entirely serious smiley) 

This is a copy of Smeaton's 1757 plan for the navigation, which originally was only going to serve Halifax. The plan was based on Thomas Steerrs 1§740s plan for the navigation, Steers being engineer for Liverpool Docks, behind the Douglas and Mersey & Irwell Navigations, and the engineer who completed the Newry Canal.

1757 Smeaton's CHN plan, Dock St 3716.jpg