Flooded Honda Generator - options for recovery.

jonesthenuke

Featured Posts

Little used Honda Generator has recently been fully underwater for a couple of hours.

I have hosed it down with clean water. Any sage advice on recovery or is it junk?

Ps it was stored in the outbuildings rather than on the boat (which was fine) when the Smestow and the Stour decided to Overton into the Staffs and Worcs. I understand Stewponey lock was overflowing to the extent the mooring bollards were underwater and the tow path tunnel was a torrent.

IMG-20200218-WA0000.jpg

34 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Any sage advice on recovery or is it junk?

It should be recoverable.

DO NOT JUST PUT IT IN A WARM ROOM it will rust up / seize up and any 'nasties' in the water could start etch into the cylinder etc.

Remove the carburettor and strip it down, clean all the parts and dry it off.

Remove the spark plug and 'pull it over' get all of the water squirted out.

Empty engine oil out.

Empty fuel tank and refill with fresh fuel

Get an engine 'flush' oil put it in engine to the normal oil level.

Get some thin oil (or diesel) and pour a little down the plug hole - pull it over a few times.

Re-fit the carburettor, attach fuel pipe, throttle etc.

Pull over a few times & get the carb full of fuel.

Get a syringe (or similar) and squirt a bit (technical measure - less than a fair bit, but more than a little bit), replace plug & plug cap

Switch to the normal start position

Pull until it starts,

Run for a MAXIMUM of a couple of minutes - switch off

Drain off engine 'flush oil' and replace with proper engine oil.

Start and run for a reasonable time.

Ideally this should all be done within 'minutes' of being flooded but we are where we are.

Good luck.

Edit to add - how to do it with an outboard :

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

Totally agree with Alan, many a petrol engine has been flooded and saved. I think the key is not to wait, get right on it before rust has a chance to do any real damage and should be fine. If it has any electronics in the ignition those might need to be replaced but I get it will fire up run once you dry it out.  

10 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Dose the electrics, (generator, switches), with a very generous quantity of IPA, a litre bottle is cheap enough, it will dewater them without risk to the insulation.

Marstons do a nice IPA called Old Empire.

Oh, not that sort of IPA. ??

Best save the Marstons IPA to celebrate with once it is running again.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

As others have said it is without doubt recoverable. I personaly know of a Honda eu20i that was running when it was thrown into the cut. It was recovered, dried out and run without complaint. 

I've a feeling I know that one too - not far  from bridge 205 methinks - very nice Armco piling with angry NT?

Thanks for all the advice I bought the Marstons IPA and will drink it later.

The generator has been some way down the list of things to recover, with the house as a priority and some small things attended to opportunistically as time has allowed. I stripped it today and have stripped the electrics, fuel system etc. There was a lot of water in the crankcase. I have drained, refilled with oil and pulled it over and then drained again several times over. Oil is now coming out looking clean and bright. Will reassemble tomorrow and report results.

By the way, so far I have recovered:-

Dishwasher

Bosch electric drill

Demolition hammer

Circular saw

Bench saw

Petrol Flymo (the damn thing works better than ever, it started first time after dismantling and cleaning!)

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the advice. Drained the crankcase and refilled several times, dismantled and washed the electrics in demin water. dried on a dehumidifer.

Reassembled and it runs OK and will power a fan heater. I have a couple of niggles to fix but it is certainly getting there.

There are a couple of rubber pad left over that should be part of the case somewhere (its loose).

The engine does not stop when the fuel tap is closed, so I have probably not connected the switch correctly.

The engine speed switch on the electrical panel does not work (always in auto speed mode).

I will have a look at these when I have more time, The house is the priority.

34 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Thanks for all the advice. Drained the crankcase and refilled several times, dismantled and washed the electrics in demin water. dried on a dehumidifer.

Reassembled and it runs OK and will power a fan heater. I have a couple of niggles to fix but it is certainly getting there.

There are a couple of rubber pad left over that should be part of the case somewhere (its loose).

The engine does not stop when the fuel tap is closed, so I have probably not connected the switch correctly.

The engine speed switch on the electrical panel does not work (always in auto speed mode).

I will have a look at these when I have more time, The house is the priority.

Well done - a good result.

The remaining problems with the generator not stopping and always running in auto speed mode may be due to water remaining in the switches.  The bulk of the electronics is resin encapsulated and seems to be well protected against immersion.

Any recommendations for a spares supplier?

1 hour ago, jonesthenuke said:

Any recommendations for a spares supplier?

This guy is 'ace' he helped me strip mine down by staying on the phone for about half-an-hour and talked me thru all the problems as they happened. NO CHARGE !!!

Top man on Honda's.

https://petepowerblog.wordpress.com/