Yikes! Land Locked

Midnight

Featured Posts

from CRT

"As a result of damage caused by Storm Ciara, Figure of Three locks will be closed for the foreseeable future.

Our teams are working to fully assess the damage caused and design a programme of works to bring the locks back into operation.

Our initial estimates are this may take up to a period of 12 months. We will provide further updates as our programme of works becomes clearer.   

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/17144/figure-of-three-locks"

With the Rochdale also closed for the foreseeable future and the Huddersfield Narrow closed due to a land slip (and closed regularly in a good year). The good boaty folk of the calder valley may not be going anywhere this year.

I wonder if CaRT will consider a restricted cruising license for 5% of the regular fee which is possibly about the same percentage of our cruising options. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

from CRT

"As a result of damage caused by Storm Ciara, Figure of Three locks will be closed for the foreseeable future.

Our teams are working to fully assess the damage caused and design a programme of works to bring the locks back into operation.

Our initial estimates are this may take up to a period of 12 months. We will provide further updates as our programme of works becomes clearer.   

With the Rochdale also closed for the foreseeable future and the Huddersfield Narrow closed due to a land slip (and closed regularly in a good year). The good boaty folk of the calder valley may not be going anywhere this year.

I wonder if CaRT will consider a restricted cruising license for 5% of the regular fee which is possibly about the same percentage of our cruising options. 

Also the good boaty folk of the Colne Valley.

I feel like putting a message in a bottle reading   Help, I am a prisoner at Aspley Wharf!

7 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I agree with your desire, seems only fair. Though I assume there's something in the TCs that states they can't do out about stoppages and so luck of the draw with how much you can cruise

4 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I agree with your desire, seems only fair. Though I assume there's something in the TCs that states they can't do out about stoppages and so luck of the draw with how much you can cruise

When they rebuilt the aquaduct just north of Chester we were all trapped between there and Ellesmere Port for a year and we did get a considerable reduction in the licence, so it's certainly worth a try.

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I feel like putting a message in a bottle reading   Help, I am a prisoner at Aspley Wharf!

Aspley Wharf ...
... hmmm I think I'll going there for my summer holidays (Rat & Ratchet, The Grove, Head of Steam, Sportsman's Arms, Spoons ... actually now you mention it...)

33 minutes ago, Midnight said:

from CRT

I would be up for that we are at Broad Cut and going to have to moor up before the locks to go for a few in the Brewers Pride. Oh wait the Bingley Arms will be our local from April.Yay!!

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

When they rebuilt the aquaduct just north of Chester we were all trapped between there and Ellesmere Port for a year and we did get a considerable reduction in the licence, so it's certainly worth a try.

Could you not escape via the Ship Canal?

The problem is, where do CRT draw the line with this? For example, the Lancaster Canal is blocked north of Lancaster for 5 months, leaving only a short stretch available; should all those trapped boats get a discount? The end result would only mean controversy and reduced income for CRT.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

'Uddersfield is lovely though, so you could do worse.  The Sportsman and the Rat & Ratchet are both big thumbs up pubs!

36 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Aspley Wharf ...
... hmmm I think I'll going there for my summer holidays (Rat & Ratchet, The Grove, Head of Steam, Sportsman's Arms, Spoons ... actually now you mention it...)

Nice moorings too.  Are John and Gareth still there?

When the Blisworth Tunnel suffered a roof fall in 1980, the repairs took 4 years.

During that time there was no alternative north/south route available except on the back of a truck.

Excellent article documenting the repairs on the Fulbourne site.

http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/index.php/miscellaneous/blisworth-tunel-reconstruction-1980-s

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

When the Blisworth Tunnel suffered a roof fall in 1980, the repairs took 4 years.

During that time there was no alternative north/south route available except on the back of a truck.

Excellent article documenting the repairs on the Fulbourne site.

http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/index.php/miscellaneous/blisworth-tunel-reconstruction-1980-s

Now imagine what will happen Gosty Tunnel or Froghall Tunnel collapses.  Some boats will have their crusing ranges severely curtailled! 

12 minutes ago, rgreg said:

The problem is, where do CRT draw the line with this? For example, the Lancaster Canal is blocked north of Lancaster for 5 months, leaving only a short stretch available; should all those trapped boats get a discount? The end result would only mean controversy and reduced income for CRT.

CRT are too interested in cyclists and well being initiatives. The canals are part of our heritage and are being neglected unfortunately, should be maintained properly for future generations of boaters to enjoy as we do now.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Now imagine what will happen Gosty Tunnel or Froghall Tunnel collapses.  Some boats will have their crusing ranges severely curtailled! 

I suspect CRT will offer to crane the trapped boats out, like they did when the Dutton Embankment collapsed on the Trent & Mersey in 2012.

19 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Well, they should do whatever's fair imo. I'd suggest that it would motivate them to get stuff sorted faster. but then they don't make very much money from us in the grand scheme of things

7 minutes ago, RonnieF1967 said:

CRT are too interested in cyclists and well being initiatives. The canals are part of our heritage and are being neglected unfortunately, should be maintained properly for future generations of boaters to enjoy as we do now.

In the case of the Lancaster closure, it is for maintenance. If CRT start issuing licence discounts for stoppages they'll have even less money for maintenance.

3 minutes ago, rgreg said:

In the case of the Lancaster closure, it is for maintenance. If CRT start issuing licence discounts for stoppages they'll have even less money for maintenance.

Yeah, but not much less aye. tenths or hundredths of a percent I would think

6 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Well, they should do whatever's fair imo. I'd suggest that it would motivate them to get stuff sorted faster. but then they don't make very much money from us in the grand scheme of things

What some consider fair will not be to others; there are plenty of boaters who would be happy with a limited cruising range whereas others would find it problematic.

Just now, sirweste said:

Yeah, but not much less aye. tenths or hundredths of a percent I would think

Open the floodgates and it all starts to add up.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

'Uddersfield is lovely though, so you could do worse.  The Sportsman and the Rat & Ratchet are both big thumbs up pubs!

Nice moorings too.  Are John and Gareth still there?

I was joking about me being a prisoner at Aspley Wharf.I meant my boat,as the present cruising range is from Aspley to lock 14 on the HNC to the end of the Broad were it meets the Calder.

Yes Jon and Gareth are still here.

The mooring wall opposite Sainsburys has collapsed in several places,my boat actually pulled a large square stone out of the bank last week and although the bow mooring was ok,my poor boat was sideways across the cut listing from the large stone block hanging off the stbd stern.

I live in Huddersfield and agree it's an ok town.The "Rat"is my favourite pub,and tonight (Wednesday) is quiz night in which I usually come last.I know a lot of stuff but unfortunately the questions persist in asking what I dont know.

Damn! Today is Tuesday. Since I retired,every day is the same!

Edited by Mad Harold

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

I was joking about me being a prisoner at Aspley Wharf.I meant my boat,as the present cruising range is from Aspley to lock 14 on the HNC to the end of the Broad were it meets the Calder.

Yes Jon and Gareth are still here.

The mooring wall opposite Sainsburys has collapsed in several places,my boat actually pulled a large square stone out of the bank last week and although the bow mooring was ok,my poor boat was sideways across the cut listing from the large stone block hanging off the stbd stern.

I live in Huddersfield and agree it's an ok town.The "Rat"is my favourite pub,and tonight (Wednesday) is quiz night in which I usually come last.I know a lot of stuff but unfortunately the questions persist in asking what I dont know.

Don't take it for granted.  Huddersfield is a great place.  Just the right size for a large town.  The local stone buildings give it character, and the surrounding hills are lovely.  Halifax is slightly prettier but Huddersfield is earthier, and the better for it.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

from CRT

The wording of the stoppage notice on CRT web site about lock 14E doesn't indicate a problem that is going to take months and months to fix.

Due to the recent weather conditions passage through Ramsden Lock 14E is restricted due to silt build made worse with the heavy rainfall.

We will update this notice when checks have been carried out and it is safe to navigate through the lock.

Maybe the land slip in the OP isn't lock 14E but somewhere else?  I've not been there so I can't really comment I suppose. But it doesn't sound like they have to re-build a lock (or two) or a culvert like they do elsewhere

I'm hoping the Rochdale culvert is an easy fix and the Hudd works this year.  I was intending to do the Rochdale from Manchester then go up to Leeds and back over the L&L, but that's not happening from the looks of things.

I could still do the Rochdale & the Huddersfield if they are fixed in the next few months, but we shall see.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm hoping the Rochdale culvert is an easy fix and the Hudd works this year.  I was intending to do the Rochdale from Manchester then go up to Leeds and back over the L&L, but that's not happening from the looks of things.

I could still do the Rochdale & the Huddersfield if they are fixed in the next few months, but we shall see.

The culvert just outside Liverpool took a while to fix and the Mytholmroyd hole looks potentially difficult as the access is not good and the land is quite high and steep.

I think some repairs get done quickly by the local CRT team with a few sandbags and a bit of puddling clay, and if its more complicated then it involves designs, permissions and contractors and takes forever.

There is also a washwall failure just below Tod but I have not been to look at that yet.

.............Dave