Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Loddon

Alexa is listening to you

Featured Posts

Yes, I read that earlier today, rather scary but not exactly surprising.  No Alexa here either, and "smart" features disabled on TV as well.

Whilst on about Amazon there was an article the other day (in The Guardian I think) about the great increase in delivery van movements in London due in no small part by Amazon Prime's next day delivery service.

Mal

The only smart device in this house is Mrs S.

We spent a week last September staying with a friend in Bristol, he has the google device around his house. The only time I appreciated it was when he told it to play CheesyFM in the bathroom while my wife was showering.

The look on her face when she came out after the shower and complained about having to listen to Little Jimmy Osmond singing Long Haired Lover from Liverpool was a highlight of the week.

My son has everything in his house connected, from changing the colour of room lighting to the fridge, half the rest of the kichen and his doorbell. I reckon the biggest advantage he gets from ut all is that all the advertising he gets on his iphone etc is perfectly targetted!

Me, wouldn't have one in the house.

Its only listening to what you say after 'Alexa' which is not that big a deal is it?

If you have Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp on your phone then this listens to every word you say and passes info back to Facebook, as they own all three, they then target you with ads and such, unless of course you restrict access to the apps on the phone...

In the states someone was convicted of murdering his wife using the recordings made by Alexa in the house. 

18 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Its only listening to what you say after 'Alexa' which is not that big a deal is it?

You carry on believeing that

:):):);)

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

If you have Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp on your phone then this listens to every word you say and passes info back to Facebook, as they own all three, they then target you with ads and such, unless of course you restrict access to the apps on the phone...

Just out of curiosity, if it isn't listening to everything that you say, how will it know when you've said 'Alexa'?:huh:

Regarding phone 'apps' I've never yet managed to get my Nokia 6300 to accept any 'apps' what am I doing wrong? (sometimes it's better to be a dinosaur)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Welcome back Dave, long time no hear!

43 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

How does it know you have said "Alexa" then?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just out of curiosity, if it isn't listening to everything that you say, how will it know when you've said 'Alexa'?:huh:

It probably is listening all the time, but like the butler, won't act on anything unless it is asked. Unless, it's been reading 2001, you're outside, and it won't open the door.

OIP.jpg

Edited by Higgs

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Those that use Amazon and Alexa might be interested in this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data

Its long but confirms my thoughts as a long standing Amazon customer.

However there is no Alexa here.

I seem to have missed the Panorama that this article was referencing but now will try to catch up on it, the matters discussed in the article were very enlightening. Alexa seems a minor distraction for those who are dull enough to want one in their homes (no, I wouldn't give one house-space either) compared to the other areas that they are getting their fingers into. The reference to the Ring video doorbell was concerning since the terms and conditions allow them access to information gleaned, so they now have the right to have their own surveillance on your property. When you add to that their interest in delivery drones which would also appear to be not quite as benign as it first appears since these drones will  all be fitted with video cameras and I can't believe that Amazon would forgo the massive amount of data that is going to give them. They try to portray themselves as 'harmless' but I'm sure Toys 'r Us (who allowed them to sell their products over its platform) wouldn't agree since they are now out of business.

It sort of confirms my own bias regarding the company, I try to buy as little as possible from them but they are cornering the market to the degree that it is becoming increasingly difficult to get some things anywhere else. I have a tendency to do the reverse of many people, I look something up on Amazon that I may want and then see if I can get it locally first before throwing any money at Bezos.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

8 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It probably is listening all the time, but like the butler, won't act on anything unless it is asked. Unless, it's been reading 2001, you're outside, and it won't open the door.

OIP.jpg

a9c131daf0de5159a6c3d359444848b3.jpg

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

a9c131daf0de5159a6c3d359444848b3.jpg

Papa Lazarou. "You're my wife nooww."

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think he was after  "Hello Dave!"

I think you're right. Sorry to spoil it.

Is the wedding off, then?

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think he was after  "Hello Dave!"

Yeah it was the Dave thing I was reaching for

:)

actually it's still making me laugh behind Hal is papa lazroo

4 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I think you're right. Sorry to spoil it.

Is the wedding off, then?

You can be his wife if you want ... Papa Lazarou scares me.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!

• Greenie 1

I had an Alexa Show 5 for Christmas which was a free offer with the main gift.

So it might be listening to me all the time, but it’s not going to get very excited about anything it hears in the kitchen.  If you have a mobile smart phone or use email  there is little point in worrying what Alexa might pick up.  It’s not something I would have bought for myself, the most use it gets is as a timer.

I would be more concerned if I still had my previous boat, Isis.

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

She wont know either!

Give her the manual to read, it will fill her spare time when she has finished cooking and cleaning for you.

Exactly how much trouble can I get into?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

A good reason why I don't use any of them, voice activation is disabled on all devices I can't see the point it never works properly and why on earth is alexa on my nextbase dashcam all it needs to do is film continuously

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

How do I turn the tv off if I get rid of Alexa?

Try pulling the plug out?

1 hour ago, buccaneer66 said:

voice activation is disabled on all devices I can't see the point it never works properly

The voice recognition on my ancient (2016) clockwork Android is actually very good indeed - not that I use it very often.