Mud, mud, glorious mud!!

haggis

Featured Posts

Just home after a fairly short trip on Kelpie and I wondered if anyone would like some of the mud back ? . With four human feet and eight canine feet going on and off the boat I gave up the battle. Still it will all wash off. 

We survived Ciara and Dennis and we had very little rain during the day but there must have been a lot  during the night. We saw some pretty extensive flooding and we felt so sorry for the poor folk who had their homes flooded, some for the second time in quick succession. 

We had a lovely relaxing trip with lots of sitting at a good fire with glass and book in hand. Boating at its best.

We had some lovely meals out and the two we had in the Red Bull were definitely the best. I like the renovations which have been done and the food is still as good as we have always found it. The most disappointing meal was in the Rising Sun but the good meals we had elsewhere more than made up for it. 

This trip gave us both the first chance to use our Christmas presents and I am glad to that Iains weather station and my Go Windlass were both  successes, although the weather station will need stronger magnets to stop it falling over in strong winds.  We did the Leeds and Liverpool many, many years ago and I have always wanted to go back and now with the help of my Go Windlass, I think we will - if it is open for long enough this year! 

This was our 7 month old pups first introduction to canal boating and he had one half and two full body immersions. He'll learn! 

haggis

Edited by haggis

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I know of two canalside pubs called the Rising Sun but neither is close to where I think the Red Bull is. Any clues?

Nonetheless glad you had a good time.

JP

Thank you!

The Rising Sun is near the Macclesfield canal not long after the stop lock. The Red Bull is in Kidsgrove on the Trent and Mersey. That is an indication of how short some of our days were. We ate in the Rising Sun one evening and the Red Bull (for the second time!) the next evening. 

haggis

Just now, haggis said:

Thank you!

The Rising Sun is near the Macclesfield canal not long after the stop lock. The Red Bull is in Kidsgrove on the Trent and Mersey. That is an indication of how short some of our days were. We ate in the Rising Sun one evening and the Red Bull (for the second time!) the next evening. 

haggis

Ta. I had the Red Bull in the right place. Been many years since I went down the Macclesfield. I’d be looking for the Rising Sun at the top of the Ashby or in Berkhamsted. I like to know where the pubs are. Might be a while before I venture down the Macclesfield though. Hopefully not so for the northern T&M.

JP

Disappointing to read your review of The Rising Sun. Historically, it's always been good in the past. 

Good to hear the Red Bull is in safe hands after the change of licensee. We haven't been in yet. The Blue Bell's new licensees are also doing a good job. There's still a good range of beers 

10 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Disappointing to read your review of The Rising Sun. Historically, it's always been good in the past. 

Good to hear the Red Bull is in safe hands after the change of licensee. We haven't been in yet. The Blue Bell's new licensees are also doing a good job. There's still a good range of beers 

I didn't know the Red Bull had changed hands, it did close for a few months for a refurbish but reopened with the same team and landlord

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't know the Red Bull had changed hands, it did close for a few months for a refurbish but reopened with the same team and landlord

The Red Bull changed hands a couple of years ago and as you say, was closed for refurbishment by the new owners. I think they have made a very good job if it  - and they still have the same chef.

haggis

Edited by haggis

19 minutes ago, haggis said:

The Red Bull changed hands a couple of years ago and as you say, was closed for refurbishment by the new owners. I think they have made a very good job if it  - and they still have the same chef.

haggis

totaly agree anf a friendly chap as well