Trent level to backflow over Derwent Lock?

Graham Bowers

Featured Posts

I moor between Derwent Lock and the flood lock at Shardlow, so Crockers.

I see the forecast level of the Trent at Shardlow is to exceed the existing record.

I called yesterday to slacken the ropes however was wondering at what Trent Shardlow level the river backflows over the lock and raises the level in the pound please?

Thanks

forecast.jpg

Yes  this is why Shardlow has it's own floodgates on the canal. When the Derwent really floods, it comes straight across the marina and into the Trent with quite a flow. When the Trent floods, it goes the other way, but not with much current !!

I've been there and everyone makes sure that lines are loosened, although it cant actually come up that much as it's such a wide expanse of flat ground between the rivers.

5 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I think it is already back flowing over derwentmouth.

Thanks. I'll pop along in the morning and check how things are. It's come up 45 Cm since I was there yesterday.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Yes  this is why Shardlow has it's own floodgates on the canal. When the Derwent really floods, it comes straight across the marina and into the Trent with quite a flow. When the Trent floods, it goes the other way, but not with much current !!

I've been there and everyone makes sure that lines are loosened, although it cant actually come up that much as it's such a wide expanse of flat ground between the rivers.

Thanks. Yep, the floodgates were closed yesterday. My lines are slack so hopefully all is OK.

11 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

I didn't do anything, it was just there. I see that not all locations have a predicted level though.

Thanks. I had not noticed it before I suppose they add it when it starts getting a bit naughty.

I thought you might have added an extra option.

Useful feature. 

Before it went offline, the Willington gauge prediction was showing a bit of a bump. See attachment 

We're moored on the pontoon at trent lock, and there are a couple of narrowboats before the floodgates on the cranfleet cut which have started to break free from their moorings. One is currently on the towpath facing the opposite direction - the owner is aware. 

The other also appears to have broken free at one end, but we haven't seen the owner yet.

Access is currently a little awkward due to the water level. 

Screenshot_2020-02-17-14-10-37.png

10 hours ago, Craig Shelley said:

Before it went offline, the Willington gauge prediction was showing a bit of a bump. See attachment 

We're moored on the pontoon at trent lock, and there are a couple of narrowboats before the floodgates on the cranfleet cut which have started to break free from their moorings. One is currently on the towpath facing the opposite direction - the owner is aware. 

The other also appears to have broken free at one end, but we haven't seen the owner yet.

Access is currently a little awkward due to the water level. 

I saw the bump on the Willington gauge prediction and rather hoped it was a data error. It didn't seem to be reflected in downstream station predictions.