Old Canal Photos on Britain From Above.

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

I found this photos on Britain From Above nice view of the GW railway aquaduct on the Balls hill branch, the terminal basin would just of picture to the left.

You can find lots of these on BFA and several more showing the balls hill branch.

EAW029746.jpg

Ryders Green Junction 1934

EPW007483.jpg

Amazing how much space there is around buildings when they don't need car parks!

2 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Ryders Green Junction 1934

EPW007483.jpg

Took me  awhile to orientate on this one, what's going on with the area of "cotton wool" in the foreground and then right of centre? There seem to be a few places where the edge of the canal is a bit vague 

As well as these Britain from Above photos, Historic England have a vast archive of old aerial photos, just give then an OS grid ref and how far out you want search and  they go find photos for you, I found it best to make an appointment and visit the archive to view what they find in person.

They are stored in Swindon at whats left of the GW loco works, not far from were the North Wilts canal used to be.

Edited by buccaneer66