Checklist for novice boat purchasers

howardang

Featured Posts

Seeing that this forum seems to be getting an increasing number of questions about buying boats which often are  from people who are unfamiliar with the things and pitfalls to look out for, what about  a comprehensive and easily understood check list so they could easily get answers to all those questions which arise. Once read it would form the basis for them to be able  to ask more targeted questions which are relevant to their personal situation. I am sure that there are many experienced boaters on here who would be able to draft something which, if necessary, could be fine-tuned by other forum members before finally pinning somewhere. We could still welcome new members but if they ask for guidance it would make it easier to guide them to  a list of pertinent points which need to be taken into account before taking the plunge into the  (wonderful?) world of boat ownership.

Howard

• Greenie 2

I see the 'lack of offers' down to the fact that whatever list someone comes up with, using all of their knowledge and experience it will be 'ripped apart' by others saying 'no that's wrong you want to do this'.

Ask 20 people to make a list and you'd get 25 variants.

Who is going to put themselves up 'on a pedestal' to get knocked down ?

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Hull, engine, loo?

I realise that the comment above seems flippant but it applies across the board when there are so many variables

Does someone want a cheap mess about GRP leisure project

or a luxury steel leisure boat

or liveaboard budget

or no expense spared widebeam?

Then, marina, CC, towpath CRT or where will the boat be cruising?

Single person, or five member family plus pets?

So, from a £200 project upwards, it must float and you must be able to expect it to continue floating without great expense. It needs to move. From a £75 Seagull to £10k inboards, if the engine can move it, tick the box. 

Edited by BilgePump

1] Proof of ownership, name and address of owner

2] owner willing to sign off Bill of Sale [RYA type], unencumbered sale

3] Recent invoices [again, proof of ownership] and of maintenance

4] blacking history / anodes

5 BSS, at least 6 months left

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Tasemu said:

I think this is an excellent idea, though i assume op would be needing to do it rather than suggest someone else to haha. ?

I wouldn't presume and wouldn't wish to, but I would have thought there  are many experts on here who would jump at the chance to  put something together. The Search Function has been mentioned which is, of course, very useful and indeed I have pointed the occasional questioner to it myself.  However, some novices wouldn't have even the basic knowledge to be able to frame a query, and I had those people in mind, the real beginners.

It was just a thought, and a change from long winded  political posts!

Howard

Edited by howardang

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Obviously, get a survey and dont turn up with cash.....

....and then here comes MrSmelly with his contrasting advice of 9 boats bought without a survey and just pays with cash in a bag.

Precisely. Never had and never will have a survey and yes cash is deffo still king. God only knows how I got away with it with the first boat bought at Ansti for 10k in 20 pound notes!! I sold it without problem 5 years later to a bloke who also didn't survey it. It could have been sinking, I was very lucky lol. My present boat was at a brokers and came vastly cheaper than it was advertised. 58k and I gave em 45k twenty minutes after first seeing it. Having a bit of bottle can pay dividends but some people catch a cold. 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well 'zactly, which is why the OP intuitively swerved putting up his own list. 

It was just a thought. I wouldn't presume to be an expert and FWIW the reason I "swerved" as you put it is that my depth of knowledge is patchy - I am a long term share boater and although I have been boating for many years and am familiar with salty water stuff and some aspects of canal boating, my inland waterway knowledge  of  living aboard, continuous cruising and some aspects of technical matters is not as extensive as others on this forum.  It was an idea which might have avoided the frequent "reinventing the wheel" questions we get but it seems like it has fallen on deaf ears. Onwards and upwards .:cheers:

Howard

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not at all. It looks like a very good starting point (or points). Does it float? and does it go? are crucial.

Okay then, some basics...

• Is it likely to sink in the near future?
  • Does the engine work?
  • Do the listed appliances all work?
  • Does it have an effective battery monitor?
  • Does it have a fixed bed and can you fit in it?
  • Does it have at least two forms of heating?
  • Does it have a functioning shower?
  • Does it smell fresh?

20 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

An idea would be a 'boat buddy'. Someone you can call on to go round the boat with you - bit like what the AA does for its members with cars?  Maybe some forum members could offer it as a service for a small fee?

I saw exactly this "boat buddy" service offered on someone's website the other week, can't  remember where though.

Here it is......

http://oldfriendscanalservices.weebly.com/services.html

Could be someone on here :):):) 

Edited by waterdog
edit to add link

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are we still on the hull and engine part, or is this the loo question?

:giggles:

A greeno (if that is the appropriate colour) for our arrowroot friend.

Edited by Athy