Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Hoarding of necessities results in armed robbery.

Featured Posts

Armed robbers in Hong Kong made off with hundreds of toilet rolls worth more than HKD1,000 ($130; £98).

Toilet rolls are currently in short supply in Hong Kong due to shortages caused by panic-buying during the coronavirus outbreak.

Knife wielding men robbed a delivery man outside a supermarket in the Mong Kok district, police said.

Police have arrested two men and recovered some of the stolen loo rolls, local media reports said.

The armed robbery took place in Mong Kok, a district of Hong Kong with a history of "triad" crime gangs, early on Monday.

According to local reports, the robbers had threatened a delivery worker who had unloaded rolls of toilet paper outside Wellcome Supermarket.

An Apple Daily report said that 600 toilet paper rolls, valued at around HKD1,695 ($218; £167), had been stolen.

Stores across the city have seen supplies massively depleted with long queues when new stock arrives.

In most of the Far East, toilets have a water-squirting gadget attached to the toilet for cleaning your bum. Which of course is much more hygienic than smearing it around with paper until it is thin enough not to show too much brown on the paper. So I’m a bit surprised that they are getting excited about a lack of paper. Maybe in Hong Kong it is the British influence?

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Maybe in Hong Kong it is the British influence?

Or effluence?

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

In most of the Far East, toilets have a water-squirting gadget attached to the toilet for cleaning your bum. Which of course is much more hygienic than smearing it around with paper until it is thin enough not to show too much brown on the paper. So I’m a bit surprised that they are getting excited about a lack of paper. Maybe in Hong Kong it is the British influence?

Quite - A 'Bum-Gun'. My Son has them in the house he built in Kep (Cambodia)

I didn't get on with them and ended squirting it all over the floor and ending up with water running down the back of my legs when I stood up.

Jus did what they do in Turkey, Greece and some parts of France (a carrier bag to take the paper at the side of the toilet)

Was not overly popular for wasting water - not on the mains and 1000 litres was delivered by truck every couple of days and it was then pumped up into the loft.

The devil makes work for Izal hands.

(Many members may be lucky enough not to remember Izal Germicide loo paper, characterised by its very poor roadholding and cornering).

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Mainly found in government establishments hospitals and the military.

....and our house in Sheffield. 

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

And generally printed with "Now wash your hands"

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And generally printed with "Now wash your hands"

And "In the interests of economy, please use both sides" 😀

24 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

And "In the interests of economy, please use both sides" 😀

Its when you hand out the individual sheets to dry on the washing line - gets the neighbours talking.

30 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Had "Governmentment Property" stamped on each sheet when I started with the G.P.O

Ah, pussers hard.  Only retired because the new sewage treatment plants could not  cope with it.

N

2 hours ago, Athy said:

The devil makes work for Izal hands.

(Many members may be lucky enough not to remember Izal Germicide loo paper, characterised by its very poor roadholding and cornering).

John Wayne toilet paper. It's rough and it's tough and takes no shit at all.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

Had "Governmentment Property" stamped on each sheet when I started with the G.P.O

And the Ministry of Labour (as was). You wouldn't believe the discussion that went on when soft tissue was introduced.A fear that what has happened in HK would happen in local offices , Well, large scale thieft anyway.😇

Edited by Slim

39 minutes ago, Slim said:

And the Ministry of Labour (as was). You wouldn't believe the discussion that went on when soft tissue was introduced.A fear that what has happened in HK would happen in local offices , Well, large scale thieft anyway.😇

You can just imagine it, pinstriped civil servants in suits and posh coats, their pockets bulging with illicit bog rolls, with two more stored in their top hats, like Paddington's marmalade sandwich...

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You can just imagine it, pinstriped civil servants in suits and posh coats, their pockets bulging with illicit bog rolls, with two more stored in their top hats, like Paddington's marmalade sandwich...

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I like the picure you paint but in reality I don't think I saw a pinstripe suit once in my career. As an individual (donn't imagine 'Yes, Minister' ) I preferred a jacket / blazer and trousers my wife could bung in the washing machine. I could honestly count on both hands the number of times I wore a suit in 42 years. Still, why spoil it with a truth.🤩

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Keep it under your hat. Battle of Agincourt where the British archers when on the march kept their bow strings under their hat when it was rainy or damp to keep them dry or the strings went all limp and slack.  Where that saying originated from. I doubt they used toilet paper in those days, maybe bits of parchment or Rhubarb leaves, more likely they just rubbed there bums on the grass to wipe it, rather like a dog with worms.

Edited by bizzard
  • Horror 1

16 hours ago, bizzard said:

Keep it under your hat. Battle of Agincourt where the British archers when on the march kept their bow strings under their hat when it was rainy or damp to keep them dry or the strings went all limp and slack.  Where that saying originated from. I doubt they used toilet paper in those days, maybe bits of parchment or Rhubarb leaves, more likely they just rubbed there bums on the grass to wipe it, rather like a dog with worms.

Yes, but . . . https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/under-your-hat.html

13 minutes ago, Harpur Hill said:

Interesting, thank you.    And if someone ever calls you a ''Son of a gun'' they are probably unaware that they are calling you a basturd. In days of yore babies concieved on the gun deck of Royal navy war ships which were kept anchored off shore when in port so the crews could not jump ship. To satisfy their needs the whore boats would visit the ship. hence 'Son of a gun'' I expect there must have been ''Daughters of a gun'' too.

Edited by bizzard

This thread reminds me of when I was Cleaning Manager at NATS at Swanwick. (Air Traffic Control Centre). One of the mundane jobs was to supply liquid soap to the dispensers in the washrooms. During one of the facilities meetings a very nice, well spoken ‘posh’ lady insisted that the ladies washrooms should have pink liquid soap as the white pearlescent soap resembled something else they were familiar with!! 

I changed it!