Buying a grp liveaboard as an extreme newbie

dogsarelandseals

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Before 'pulling the trigger' there may be a few things to consider :

A Twin engine cruiser in going to have a beam greater than 6' 10" / 7' 00" (it is probably in excess of 9 feet and some locks are only 7' 2" wide) so you will be limited as to which waterways you can use it on.

It is quite likely that it will have a draft (how deep it sits in the water) deeper than the canal depth.

It is quite likely that the air-draft (how high it is out of the water) will not allow it to pass under bridges on the canals.

So can you tell us what make and model of boat it is, and where you intend to use it ?

Thanks, it’s a Broom ocean 30. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to use the canal system with it, but it’s worth it to me for the space it affords. I believe it’s a single engine.

3 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

That sounds an awful lot.

How big is the boat,and how far is it being "hauled"?

Excuse my americanisms. It’s 30 foot, and being hauled 220 miles

Edited by dogsarelandseals

10 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Thanks, it’s a Broom ocean 30. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to use the canal system with it, but it’s worth it to me for the space it affords. I believe it’s a single engine.

Ah, OK your original post said ENGINES.

"Its been very well looked after but my concerns are that it still has its original engines" 

Many built in the 70's were equipped with twin engines (normally Perkins 4108's), but some were singles, it could be worth checking the advert.

Broom 30 Boat Specification

• Length: 30ft (9.15m)
  • Beam: 10ft 4in (3.15m)
  • Draught: 2ft 6in (0.76m)
  • Airdraught: 8ft (2.44m)
  • Berths: 6
  • Drive Type: Conventional Shaft Drive
  • Fuel: Diesel

419425_broom-30_photo_0_1579011856_img.j

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah, OK your original post said ENGINES.

"Its been very well looked after but my concerns are that it still has its original engines" 

Many were twin engines, some were singles, it could be worth checking the advert.

Broom 30 Boat Specification

• Length: 30ft (9.15m)
  • Beam: 10ft 4in (3.15m)
  • Draught: 2ft 6in (0.76m)
  • Airdraught: 8ft (2.44m)
  • Berths: 6
  • Drive Type: Conventional Shaft Drive
  • Fuel: Diesel

Broom 30 Boat for Sale, "Cicada"

Yes it did sorry, I was talking about another boat, but I’ve now shifted loyalties to the Broom, aka, whale boat. 

just can’t decide whether to get a survey or not. 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

October 2019 - Mine cost £2300 to have shipped 200 miles - AND, that excluded lift out and lift in (another £350)

Mine cost £275 to have it transported from Leicester to Huddersfield plus £50 slippage.

I know we are not comparing like for like, but £1400 sounds a lot.

I believe your boat is a large twin hulled one,so double the price.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Mad Harold said:

Mine cost £275 to have it transported from Leicester to Huddersfield plus £50 slippage.

I know we are not comparing like for like, but £1400 sounds a lot.

In that case I’ll shop around and see if I can get a better price. I did recoil rather when they quoted me. So glad to have this forum, no idea what I’m doing otherwise.

1 minute ago, dogsarelandseals said:

In that case I’ll shop around and see if I can get a better price. I did recoil rather when they quoted me. So glad to have this forum, no idea what I’m doing otherwise.

Google Shipley.They are sort of agents for boat movers and charge a fee of £50.

Put all details in;from where to where, boat length,beam,weight,etc.and you will get half a dozen quotes in a couple of days.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Just now, pete.i said:

Be careful OP if you are buying your Planar heater off Ebay or Amazon. I have just looked at their website, because I had no idea what a Planar heater was, and this popped up

Image1.jpg

Thanks for that, I’m very partial to deal so probably would have done that!

Just now, Mad Harold said:

Put all details in;from where to where, boat length,beam,weight,etc.and you will get half a dozen quotes in a couple of days.

I’ll do that, thanks 

14 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Nope - it was the GRP Cruiser (not the cat - that's nots road legal anywhere - its 23 foot beam)

14 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Here are a couple for you to try :

http://bargemovers.com/ (used him in October 2019)

http://www.waterways-great-britain.co.uk/a-b-tuckey-boat-transport-service

My boat on the truck :

21-10-19t.jpg

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope - it was the GRP Cruiser (not the cat - that's nots road legal anywhere - its 23 foot beam)

Here are a couple for you to try :

http://bargemovers.com/ (used him in October 2019)

http://www.waterways-great-britain.co.uk/a-b-tuckey-boat-transport-service

My boat on the truck :

21-10-19t.jpg

Thank you! Lovely boat! 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

I'm sure you have read the 'boat moving disasters' involving Shipley.

No insurance, didn't turn up after paying etc etc etc.

Use a 'proper' boat mover who has experience. insurance and is recommended by someone who has had their boat moved.

Paying (say) £1000 instead of £1400 can be false economy when your £15000 boat falls off the truck.

You Know It makes Sense.png

• Haha 1

I’ve just heard back from the broker of the boat who says it doesn’t have a battery charger, and that the owner uses some solar panels. Also says hot water is from the engine only. Does that mean the battery won’t charge from the engine, or am I misunderstanding? Also is it normal/liveable for the hot water to come from running the engine only? Thanks again everyone.

7 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

I’ve just heard back from the broker of the boat who says it doesn’t have a battery charger, and that the owner uses some solar panels. Also says hot water is from the engine only. Does that mean the battery won’t charge from the engine, or am I misunderstanding? Also is it normal/liveable for the hot water to come from running the engine only? Thanks again everyone.

No battery charger means you can't charge the batteries from a 240V landline.   Solar panels or running the engine don't need a battery charger to charge the batteries.

Hot water from running the engine is quite normal (it uses the waste heat to heat the water) but if you are going to have 240V power then you want to fit an immersion heater to the calorifier (hot water cylinder).

23 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

You will need a battery charger (don't just buy a 'Halfords' one there are certain types that you need), otherwise you will be running the engine for 3 or 4 hours per day (possibly) to recharge your batteries - a very inefficient way. 

Re Hot water - yes running the engine will produce hot water.

As it is already wired for 230v ask the broker to check if it already has an immersion heater in the calorifier (lovingly called a cauliflower)

But check with the broker because the boat details do show that it already has a mains hook-up and that it has heating.

Check with the broker about the Toilet as it says "marine toilet" which usually means that it passes straight thru' and into the river. You are not allowed to do that where you intend to use the boat. you MUST have a 'holding tank' of some sort.

It is a requirement of the BSS that the toilet does not discharge directly overboard, but my boat does and it has a BSSC so worth checking

Edited by Alan de Enfield

In your budget you are probably better off buying a boat that has a proper 240v system and heating etc, as the cost of fitting this stuff will soon add up to a large percentage of the cost of the boat yet a boat with this stuff already installed wont be much more if anymore expensive in the first instance. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm sure you have read the 'boat moving disasters' involving Shipley.

No insurance, didn't turn up after paying etc etc etc.

Use a 'proper' boat mover who has experience. insurance and is recommended by someone who has had their boat moved.

Paying (say) £1000 instead of £1400 can be false economy when your £15000 boat falls off the truck.

You Know It makes Sense.png

Don't think thats fair Alan.All the quotes  I received from the boat movers through Shiply said they were fully insured and several quoted their experience.

I used Alan Pease who turned up at the arranged time,slipped the boat out,transported it,and slipped it in without fuss or drama.

Payment was on delivery so I was quite happy with his service.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Don't think thats fair Alan.All the quotes  I received from the boat movers through Shiply said they were fully insured and several quoted their experience.

I used Alan Pease who turned up at the arranged time,slipped the boat out,transported it,and slipped it in without fuss or drama.

Payment was on delivery so I was quite happy with his service.

Then I guess that there are some who are not happy, and some who are (like buying a boat from Whilton).

Its possibly pot-luck with the carrier.

I only mentioned what has been quoted on this forum from someone who used Shipley, and 'comments' and reviews on Google.