Marina Facilities

fergyguy

Featured Posts

This is a question I have been meaning to ask and as I’m about to move into a marina on my first ever boat for a year before I go CC then it’s time I discovered the answer. To those who live in a marina do you use their facilities ie showers laundry wc etc or those on your own boat? And more importantly why?

2 hours ago, fergyguy said:

This is a question I have been meaning to ask and as I’m about to move into a marina on my first ever boat for a year before I go CC then it’s time I discovered the answer. To those who live in a marina do you use their facilities ie showers laundry wc etc or those on your own boat? And more importantly why?

I have moored in three marinas, Alvecote, Aston and Mercia (purely alpha order), I've never used the 'facilities' in the marina, preferring to use the same on my own boat.

I don't live aboard but spend about half the year on board, very little of that time is in the marina. We take bed-linen and towels home to launder as neither the on board machine nor those in marinas are up to the job.

Will use the laundry if we get Tolkien’s included in the mooring fee (why use our own electricity) and always for bulky items, such as dog beds, that won’t fit in our compact washer or dryer.  Never feel inclined to use the loo or shower, except for a few days when we were over optimistic in regards to the pump out tank! 

5 minutes ago, The Dreamer said:

Will use the laundry if we get Tolkien’s included in the mooring fee (why use our own electricity) and always for bulky items, such as dog beds, that won’t fit in our compact washer or dryer.  Never feel inclined to use the loo or shower, except for a few days when we were over optimistic in regards to the pump out tank! 

Animal bedding is not allowed in the machines at our marina, would not like to use machines that have been used for bedding.

• Greenie 1

I suppose it depends on how "nice" the facilities are. 

I only use my boat at weekends and short breaks at the moment but often use the showers in the marina. This is usually if I don't have any hot water if I haven't been out for a cruise or if I just fancy a long hot shower without worrying about using up all my water. 

If I found the facilities to be "grim" as someone mentioned above I don't think I would stay there. Not sure I would pay over £2000 a year unless the facilities were good.

BMP

23 hours ago, fergyguy said:

I suppose with your intended marina, using your boats facilities might be wise if you can't get off your boat to use the flooded facilities....

• Haha 1

In my view it really depends on the standard of the facilities available and their proximity to your boat. And this, for me, is relevant whether in the marina or out cruising. Using a Marina's loos extends the cassette-emptying interval and using a Marina's showers saves drying down our on board shower/bath and it saves our water and our hot water. I use our own washing machine for 'smalls' and land-based ones if there are jeans, sweatshirts etc. queuing up. For me it's a matter of convenience and ease. If there are nearby decent alternatives to the boat, I'll use them. I would always rather be self-contained but being practical saves time and efforts sometimes!

The facilities at the marina we were at were really very good so we tended to use the showers at the marina rather then on the boat on the occasions we stayed in the marina long enough. 

Equally when out and about we were happy to use the onboard facilities. 

We rarely used the marina washers and dryers as it was just easier to take things home to wash but they did come in handy when the washing machine at home broke and we were waiting for the new one to be delivered.

We moored at Droitwich Marina for a year after it had just opened, when I was using the boat as a weekday place to stay whilst working in Worcester.  I had the luxury of the mooring closest to the toilet and shower block, and was guaranteed a steaming hot shower (or even a bath) every morning!  There was just the matter of the 20-yard dash from the rear deck to the shower block... a couple of times in snow!

Wychavon-20130123-00009.jpg

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Where loos are concerned I adopt my mother's practice which was based on decades of international caravanning.

Whenever there is the opportunity to fill someone else's tank rather than your own, take it!

We adopted the SOS policy (s**t on shore) wherever possible and will do similar with the van.

(Note that S0S was not taken literally and we did bare all on the towpath :rolleyes:)

• Haha 1

When we were in Kings Bromley Marina our mooring was close to the facility block so when we didn't have hot water on the boat we used the showers, we also used the toilets but if we had been moored on the other side of the marina I wouldn't have bothered.

In the two marinas I've moored, the facilities block has been a long walk down jetties from the boat. When it is dark, the wind is howling and the sleet is coming in sideways the on-board facilities are very attractive. Rarely use the site showers here, but good for a long soak occasionally if the cauliflower is cold. No laundry on site.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

56 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Still fills up your holding tank/cassette though!

Eventually - but no mess /  no issues /  no blockages.

We can discharge to the river so prefer no solid matter is involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Here at Nottingham Castle Marina there are washers and dryers, but pet bedding is not allowed in either. Showers are in the same block. We live on our narrow boat, complete with shower and washing machine, thus we shower onboard and use our own washing machine. In cold, wet weather we use the marina dryers but in warmer weather we dry clothers under the cratch.

On 17/02/2020 at 02:19, frahkn said:

I've never used the 'facilities' in the marina, preferring to use the same on my own boat.

We take bed-linen and towels home to launder as neither the on board machine nor those in marinas are up to the job.

If you have never used the marina facilities., how do you know they are not up to the job?

:)