Live aboard narrowboating and the impact on family life (children over 18)

JamesC

Featured Posts

After a Labour of love fitting out Innisfree and 5 years full time ccers we were forced to give it all up, now we live in a house, missus occasionally misses it but I don't, it was great while the novelty lasted but after a while it became routine. I do like having a workshop to play in and water + electric on demand.

No regrets, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. 

5 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

I do like having a workshop to play in and water + electric on demand.

I do have to note that lack of water on the canals is only something that happens every now and then!

Workshops and electric, sure, but there is usually at least some water!

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I do have to note that lack of water on the canals is only something that happens every now and then!

Workshops and electric, sure, but there is usually at least some water!

True but I like to hose the car down 2 or 3 times a day in dirty weather. 

On 17/02/2020 at 16:01, cuthound said:

Blimey, it must be well ventilated if a cat can get in and out of the air gaps! ?

I removed the vent grids in the front door, surprisingly, it's not very draughty. I have some insulated door curtains.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 19:30, mrsmelly said:

Do it whilst alive as u will not be able when dead. 

These days the rationale seems to be that one has to pack as much into life as possible: Carpe diem, seize the day; live life to the full; grab life by the horns, balls (or other appendages). That's all fine if it's what you want to do while you're alive. On the other hand, when you're dead it won't actually matter whether you lived on a narrowboat or not. That's the other side of existentialism.

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

At the end of your life you will look back and the only regrets will be what you did NOT do.

Unless you happen to be a murderer or rapist perhaps?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

At the end of your life you will look back and the only regrets will be what you did NOT do.

Oh I don’t know. I have one or two regrets about things I DID do that bother me daily. 

I used to be young and impetuous. I’m no longer young...

• Haha 1

Been living aboard for 5 years now and would not go back to being a houser . Lucky though as Mrs R is probably even Keener than I so all good but know unhappy couples where it’s ones dream but not the other and ends in tears . Def marmite and you both need to like marmite . 

No no kids but others in family think we are weird have been unhappily referred to as a water pickey by more than one extended family member :(

Just now, RufusR said:

Been living aboard for 5 years now and would not go back to being a houser . Lucky though as Mrs R is probably even Keener than I so all good but know unhappy couples where it’s ones dream but not the other and ends in tears . Def marmite and you both need to like marmite . 

No no kids but others in family think we are weird have been unhappily referred to as a water pickey by more than one extended family member :(

We like the term

" Canal Trash" 

Even had T shirts made for a group of us a few years ago. Better than being one of the compliant sheep conforming with society ?

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We like the term

" Canal Trash" 

Even had T shirts made for a group of us a few years ago. Better than being one of the compliant sheep conforming with society ?

Haha like that . Might steal that if you don’t mind as a retort . 

Reli why you are nothing more than a water picky !

me : I am sorry no we are “Canal Trash “ if you don’t mind 

awesome ? 

• Happy 1

23 minutes ago, RufusR said:

awesome ? 

I was referred to online as a sewer ant for moving when the canal had ice on it

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was referred to online as a sewer ant for moving when the canal had ice on it

Nice !! ? actually Gongoozler is still excellent to describe housers in pub gardens that get gobby after a couple of lagers , most don’t know what it means even though Tim kept mentioning it , And it sounds much more of an insult than it actually is . Which of course it isn’t really ?

what was the reasoning for sewer ant ? 

8 hours ago, RufusR said:

Been living aboard for 5 years now and would not go back to being a houser . 

I thought a houser was Canadian slang for a chav? Or is that hooser?

8 hours ago, RufusR said:

awesome ? 

You're all ditch dwellers to me...

On 29/02/2020 at 09:22, Mike Hurley said:

I could think of several things I regret doing, including putting £10k into Woodford Income. There is something I regret NOT doing even more and that is not moving it back out when it was worth £13k or even at any point before it was frozen. Bloody Neil Woodford!

3 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

I could think of several things I regret doing, including putting £10k into Woodford Income. There is something I regret NOT doing even more and that is not moving it back out when it was worth £13k or even at any point before it was frozen. Bloody Neil Woodford!

Funnily enough, there is nowt I regret doing. We have all made some mistakes but without them we wouldn't be who we were. I am divorced from wife number one but without her wouldn't have two of our 5 amazing kids etc. What I would regret is if I looked back and had always played safe and not done some of the stuff we have done. It's deffo better to have had a go to look back on innitt. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1