Leicester Ring

robtheplod

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Then you didn't 'go through' Birmingham, you skirted through the suburbs through the worst bits of canal in the city.  Don't be so quick to judge until you've seen the best bits too.

I say as I see and what I saw was an absolute sh!thole.

• 1 month later...

We'll be setting off on Saturday from Yelvertoft so hope the water level issues at 

Lock 38 - Kings Lock to Lock 38 - Kings Lock on Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)

and

Lock 59 - Redhill Lock to Lock 59 - Redhill Lock on River Soar

subside by the time we get there!!

21 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

We'll be setting off on Saturday from Yelvertoft so hope the water level issues at 

Lock 38 - Kings Lock to Lock 38 - Kings Lock on Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)

and

Lock 59 - Redhill Lock to Lock 59 - Redhill Lock on River Soar

subside by the time we get there!!

There was a lot of rain overnight - maybe 25mm in Warwickshire - although Wellesbourne airport showing virtually none! Looks like there will be more on Thursday but then maybe a string of dry days. I think the levels are likely to rise in the short term but maybe we will then have a dry week.

Keep us posted on how you get on. We were half thinking of going up that way in a week or twos time.

Just now checking constantly to be sure we can make the ring. From what I can see we should fine as all levels seems to be good. Just a remaining tree at Bridge 18A, Coventry Canal but progress on this looks good and should be done by the time we get to it - going anticlockwise...  fingers crossed!!!   if anyone knows of anything likely to give me grief in the next few days please post back!

The weather has certainly taken a turn for the worse. Fingers crossed we may get another spell of summer during your trip.

We were on the Thamesduring the fabulous weather if a couple  of weeks ago. We are, as they say, in the doldrums (smell chuck). Also ‘who are ‘they’?’

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we're back from doing the ring. The weather held off and we actually had lots of nice days, with only a few showers.

The stretch from Foxton Locks to Leicester was very overgrown and sometimes seemed un-navigable... poor mooring also..

Leicester was a hidden gem - great steaming up the long river under the bridges in the centre to castle gardens secure mooring.

People in and around Leicester gongoozle professionally and didn't seem to have seen many boats??  every lock we had an audience.. made me try harder i suppose!

Going out of Leicester was the worst bit (north of it) - lots of junk in the river

The Soar was beautiful and some lovely villages

The Trent was scary wide but fun - good chance to train my crew in steering!

We found two marina's which were out of diesel and when we did find one we had a song and dance about signing up for their payment card - how to make a 10 min job last 45 mins.. obviously been taking lessons from the electric charging stations!  suggest keeping no lower than half a tank on this ring?

Its a great ring with many different canals and rivers and quite an experience... thoroughly recommended!

• Greenie 4