Photo File Size

clovey

Featured Posts

On the dumb side when it comes to photo / file format's etc. but I have tried to post one of my pic's to create a gallery. Used a format ie JPEG etc thats allowed each time I try I'm told by the system the file to big?. Only a simple digital 4m pics nothing special

Any ideas why the problem?

Yeah, to conserve bandwidth the maximum size file you can upload into the gallery is limited. (and then the forum resizes them down to be displayed)

- Simularly, the likes of imageshack and photobucket also impose a size limit, even prior to there own resizing features.

So you have to resize your photographs somehow on your own machine before uploading them.

- MS Paint (avalable on all windows computers) can be used very crudely to resize a one off photo or two.

- Alternativly, depending on what programs you have installed, there are a whole host of ways of doing it.

- Eather using somthing like paint shop pro, photoshop, etc. Or else some email handling programs can resize images,

Also if your doing lots (like 50+) batch image handling programs are avalable, such as Jasc ImageRobot, which i used for bulk resizing. (by the orginal makers of paintshoppro)

Daniel

Try looking for a free editor such as Gimp, not used it myself but has had some good reports (similar to photo-shop)

Usual proviso check it out, anti-virus etc, before you download

Lots of freeware here Freewarefiles.com

I take no responsibility if you do use this one or any other freeware but there are lots of good ones out there if you are careful.

There are two different factors here - image size and file size, and you will need to reduce both before putting an image on the web.

Try the free and well-thought-of IrfanView, from www.irfanview.com

1. Open the image in Irfanview.

2. Press Ctrl and R to re-size the image. 600 or 640 pixels wide should be enough for most galleries. 800 or 1024 pixels wide at max.

3. Press Ctrl and S to save it. Important: Give it a different name so you don't lose your full-sized original version (you can just stick an "a" at the end of the file name). There is a sliding control allowing you to adjust the "save quality". You can reduce this quite a bit with no noticeable deterioration for viewing on the web. This will reduce the file size considerably.

Then you will have two versions of the image - your original high res version for printing or future use and a smaller compressed version to put on the web.

You may find that you get a better result if you "crop" the image before reducing the dimensions, removing any bits around the edge that are less important to the subject. In Irfanview, you point to the top-left corner of what you want the picture edge to be, click and hold downthe mouse button while you drag to the bottom-right corner, then release the mouse button. You can adjust the lines that appear to get the picture edge just where you want it, then press Ctrl and Y to crop the image. You can then save it as above.

The size you see on the screen i.e. 800 x 400 x72 means it will be displayed at this size. Your screen resolution will of course alter it to suit ..... but if you set your screen resolution to 800 x 600 this will fill the width of the screen.

If you set the image resolution to 800 x 400 x 300 then the image will be much larger than the screen. Obviously as far as file size is concerned, this is related to jpeg images.

Martin's suggestion of reducing the pixel width gives best results, from my own experience. If you make the image, say, 300dpi but keep the pixel width to, say, 650 x 450, that means you retain a lot of the picture's detail yet still have a smallish filesize. Reducing your pic's physical size (eg making it 6" wide, or by 20%) and reducing it to 72dpi seems to lose a lot of clarity.

Mind you, I work on an Apple Mac with Photoshop - it might be different for PC users.

The size you see on the screen i.e. 800 x 400 x72 means it will be displayed at this size. Your screen resolution will of course alter it to suit ..... but if you set your screen resolution to 800 x 600 this will fill the width of the screen.

If you set the image resolution to 800 x 400 x 300 then the image will be much larger than the screen. Obviously as far as file size is concerned, this is related to jpeg images.

No, it won't. It will still be 800 pixels wide and 400 high.

Martin's suggestion of reducing the pixel width gives best results, from my own experience. If you make the image, say, 300dpi but keep the pixel width to, say, 650 x 450, that means you retain a lot of the picture's detail yet still have a smallish filesize. Reducing your pic's physical size (eg making it 6" wide, or by 20%) and reducing it to 72dpi seems to lose a lot of clarity.

Mind you, I work on an Apple Mac with Photoshop - it might be different for PC users.

The point of reducing to 72 DPI is that a computer screen will not display higher resolutions any differently so there is no point in having 300DPI as it increases the file size. I'd agree that 800 x 600 at 72DPI is usally small enough.

Sorry - I should have said if you size in inches of course.

When I first started it took me a while to realize why my photos were much bigger than the screen.

To all thanks for all suggestions re posting photos, have now managed to put one in profile and another in gen interest sections.

Thanks Clovey

Actually, how does one put photos into posts on this forum. There is an icon to add image but it wants a URL not a file location. Help!!!

Indeed!

- You can post photos in the gallery, by using a file location on your computer, and leting the forum upload and manage it.

- But to put it into a post, what you have to do is to host it else where, and then use the url of the newly hosted image.

There are instructions on how to host an image using ImageShake in the "for new members" section towards the botttom of the forum.

Basicaly, the bulk of the cost of hosting a forum is bandwidth (quanity of data transfered) and hostingspace (quanity of data stored)

- And as photos use a very large amount of that, and there are a plethera of free image hosting sites such as imageshack of photobucket, we prefer that route.

Daniel