Haulage on the GU?

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

This one is neither.

Go on, give us a clue. Would an explanation be over-onerous?

If you put "gaslighting meaning" into the internet search engine of your choice and then separately do the same thing for "gatekeeping" you will easily find the explanation you're looking for.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Would an explanation be over-onerous?

No - but but if you really have never head of the term then you are better to find the explanation for your self rather than have me try to explain it to you, plus Danish Oil and my MacBook and/or iPhone are not compatible so I'll leave to to it so I can get on with what I'm doing. 

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

She did a brilliant job of bringing a lot of it on herself! Maybe if a little humility had been shown on her part then others including myself may have been more understanding. 

Maybe she did but why does anyone need to show humility to a group of people she has never met, she appeared to get defensive but who could blame her.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

No - but but if you really have never head of the term then you are better to find the explanation for your self rather than have me try to explain it to you

Absolutely not. If every request for information on here were met by a retort of "Google it", the forum would be a much poorer place.

Your reluctance to explain the penumbrous phrase which you used is noted.

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Maybe she did but why does anyone need to show humility to a group of people she has never met, she appeared to get defensive but who could blame her.

The joy of the internet by its very nature is you are conversing with people you have never met...or indeed want to meet!  If you  go in with very fixed opinions don’t be surprised when others disagree...and if you then go off in a huff don’t then blame others. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

The joy of the internet by its very nature is you are conversing with people you have never met...or indeed want to meet!  If you  go in with very fixed opinions don’t be surprised when others disagree...and if you then go off in a huff don’t then blame others. 

Absolutely, but the forum can act like a pack of dogs sometimes, particularly if someone has strong opinions or ideas, it can be a touch unedifying 

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Absolutely not. If every request for information on here were met by a retort of "Google it", the forum would be a much poorer place.

Your reluctance to explain the penumbrous phrase which you used is noted.

I'm not reluctant I just have better things to do with my time, they are commonly used phases easily found and you are an intelligent man who is perfect capable of working these things out for your self; as for anything being noted I'm not sure that I care whether it has been or not or what relevance your notes have to me. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm not reluctant I just have better things to do with my time,

Obviously not - you could have explained yourself in the time which it took to type your post.

So, yes, Reluctance'R'Us.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What a simian gent you are, to be sure. So, "psychological manipulation"; have we seen any during this topic?

As for "gateposting" or whatever, that'll keep for another day - the final England v. S. Africa T20 International is reaching an exciting climax, so I may be gone for some time.Well, for the next three overs anyway.

40 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

She accused me of ‘mainsplaining’ (whatever that means) when I was correcting some arrogant misconceptions that she voiced in another thread. I decided at that point to have nothing more to do with her. 

1 minute ago, Athy said:

So, "psychological manipulation"; have we seen any during this topic?

I didn’t see any. But then I didn’t see any ‘mansplaining’ when I was accused of it, so maybe the fault is with me. 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And therein lies the exact problem I was describing. You and others here simply can't tell (or refuse to accept) when you are posting comments in a style others find offensive. 

I haven't Posted any comments on this Thread which can be construed as offensive Mike , if you can find any then kindly feel free to show them . If you want an example of offensive Posting  I suggest you take a look at your own reply to a Thread I recently started entitled " They Dont Hang Around Long " Both you and the recently departed Member immediately grasped the wrong end of a non existent stick deriding my attempt at inviting some genuine comment on the rapid turnover of nearly new wide beams in comparison to similar narrowboats and once again alleging some suspect motive behind what was a genuine Post . Obviously you must suffer the same shortcomings as the rest of us ? 

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

She accused me of ‘mainsplaining’ (whatever that means) when I was correcting some arrogant misconceptions that she voiced in another thread. I decided at that point to have nothing more to do with her. 

I didn’t see any. But then I didn’t see any ‘mansplaining’ when I was accused of it, so maybe the fault is with me. 

Trouble is with certain people these days whenever a man corrects a woman's misconception it is "mansplaining", but when a woman does the same to a man it is "educating him"! ??

Edited by cuthound
To remove a space masquerading as a letter.
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Trouble is with certain people these days whenever a man corrects a woman's misconception it is "mansplaining", but whe  a woman does the same to a man it is "educating him"! ??

I find it’s a certain type of woman that appears to spout this...

48 minutes ago, Athy said:

What a simian gent you are, to be sure. So, "psychological manipulation"; have we seen any during this topic?

As for "gateposting" or whatever, that'll keep for another day - the final England v. S. Africa T20 International is reaching an exciting climax, so I may be gone for some time.Well, for the next three overs anyway.

We have seen absolutely none , what we have seen is a Woman who hid her Gender and is new to the Canal come up against some Old Timers who felt they were being lectured to in a know all manner and replied in a manner they thought fitting . With the benefit of hindsight both Parties would probably act differently but as its Social Media you dont always get that opportunity.

Sadly as usual you have the same old faces extremely offended on behalf of others in effect practising the same sort of Tribalism they claim to find so offensive . Thank God we have a Site Owner and Moderators with more Intelligence than they have , it certainly wasn't always the case .

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1

My Post #7

I've waited a few days for those rushing to quaff umbrage by the bucket load to have their fill.

I have reread the thread in its totality several times.

I am saddened that the OP (and others) are so offended by my response.  However I am neither hurt nor offended by responses I attracted.

I spent nearly half an hour before posting it. This was to ensure I was confident with the point I was making and that none of my post contained w*o*r*d*s* that needed to be disguised to hide obscenities, were libellous nor thinly disguised personal insults.

Yes my opening comment was abrupt and reflected how I felt about OP's duplicitous/misguided comment (albeit my interpretation). 

Should you post your opinions and views in a public forum you'll quickly learn it draws others'.

This business of being offended is a strange and modern affliction. It has nothing to do with the despatcher only the receiver.  

Being offended is a choice. ... Having hurt feelings or being offended is a choice. Allowing another person to hurt your feelings or allowing someone to offend you is nothing short of self-imposed mental cruelty (Chicago Tribune 7 May 2018)

I have read OP has expressed an opinion of being harassed or being the recipient of some sort of witch hunt.  That must be a terrible place to be.  I find it difficult to believe that is the case, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy urges to understand fully what they themselves do/say prior to an action that leads them to feel so.  In other words ask yourself "What am I bringing to the party that contributes to the outcome?", and "How regularly this happens in my life?".  That's not good.  For my part I rarely look at the contributor I'm more interested in the content.  I don't know the Forum ID of this person other than "Guest" Nor am I aware if I have ever joined in any other communication with them.  Coming to the conclusion that you're the victim of such activity I suggest is more the result of one's misdirected self opinion than anything.  Unless your name is Boris or you're the latest air head reality celebrity  none us is the centre of everybody else's universe to that degree.  However if after objective scrutiny there is evidence that is the case then yes, something is horribly wrong.

Try this entertaining video, I like this guy and his view is often as simplistic as anything needs to be to hit the nail ...... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo

• Greenie 4

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

My Post #7

I've waited a few days for those rushing to quaff umbrage by the bucket load to have their fill.

I have reread the thread in its totality several times.

I am saddened that the OP (and others) are so offended by my response.  However I am neither hurt nor offended by responses I attracted.

I spent nearly half an hour before posting it. This was to ensure I was confident with the point I was making and that none of my post contained w*o*r*d*s* that needed to be disguised to hide obscenities, were libellous nor thinly disguised personal insults.

Yes my opening comment was abrupt and reflected how I felt about OP's duplicitous/misguided comment (albeit my interpretation). 

Should you post your opinions and views in a public forum you'll quickly learn it draws others'.

This business of being offended is a strange and modern affliction. It has nothing to do with the despatcher only the receiver.  

Being offended is a choice. ... Having hurt feelings or being offended is a choice. Allowing another person to hurt your feelings or allowing someone to offend you is nothing short of self-imposed mental cruelty (Chicago Tribune 7 May 2018)

I have read OP has expressed an opinion of being harassed or being the recipient of some sort of witch hunt.  That must be a terrible place to be.  I find it difficult to believe that is the case, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy urges to understand fully what they themselves do/say prior to an action that leads them to feel so.  In other words ask yourself "What am I bringing to the party that contributes to the outcome?", and "How regularly this happens in my life?".  That's not good.  For my part I rarely look at the contributor I'm more interested in the content.  I don't know the Forum ID of this person other than "Guest" Nor am I aware if I have ever joined in any other communication with them.  Coming to the conclusion that you're the victim of such activity I suggest is more the result of one's misdirected self opinion than anything.  Unless your name is Boris or you're the latest air head reality celebrity  none us is the centre of everybody else's universe to that degree.  However if after objective scrutiny there is evidence that is the case then yes, something is horribly wrong.

Try this entertaining video, I like this guy and his view is often as simplistic as anything needs to be to hit the nail ...... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo

Its life in the social media world today?