Haulage on the GU?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Post 7 fits the bill surely, and did the damage.

People's internal calibration of what comes across as offensive gets terribly distorted on here. 

Well I agree with the sentiments expressed in the last paragraph Mike and I inserted a Happy Emoji to endorse this view . The first paragraph though a bit direct didn't strike me as offensive, certainly no more so than many others , certainly not a " pack up your bags and depart " sort of Post .

Just now, Parahandy said:

The first paragraph though a bit direct didn't strike me as offensive, certainly no more so than many others , certainly not a " pack up your bags and depart " sort of Post .

Well now you know otherwise, given what happened. 

See Post 25.

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And therein lies the exact problem I was describing. You and others here simply can't tell (or refuse to accept) when you are posting comments in a style others find offensive. 

Apparently I do that in person too....hey ho...such is life!! I’m not one for wrapping stuff in cotton wool. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

What would be your (different) analysis of what happened?

I wouldn't even offer one Mike , CWDF clearly isn't for everyone and nor is Social Media . Personally I dont like Banning though some on this Forum are happy to campaign for certain Members and Topics to be Banned which always amuses me . 

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I wouldn't even offer one Mike , CWDF clearly isn't for everyone and nor is Social Media . Personally I dont like Banning though some on this Forum are happy to campaign for certain Members and Topics to be Banned which always amuses me . 

Indeed. Robust discussion is part of adult life....however annoying some are...I’m sure others think the same of me...I did find her “Expertise” somewhat irritating but I find a lot of life irritating....

• Greenie 1

Just now, frangar said:

Indeed. Robust discussion is part of adult life....however annoying some are...I’m sure others think the same of me...I did find her “Expertise” somewhat irritating but I find a lot of life irritating....

As I say I didn't know it was a " her " and some will rightly say that shouldn't matter anyway . I think when you have been on the Canal a matter of weeks you inevitably run the risk of your views and opinions being given short shrift by some who have been there Decades especially when expressed in a certain manner . 

3 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

As I say I didn't know it was a " her " and some will rightly say that shouldn't matter anyway . I think when you have been on the Canal a matter of weeks you inevitably run the risk of your views and opinions being given short shrift by some who have been there Decades especially when expressed in a certain manner . 

Makes no difference to me as to their gender...But taking the advice when the majority are saying the same thing might have helped....especially as you say when you think you are an expert after a couple of YouTube videos. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Makes no difference to me as to their gender...But taking the advice when the majority are saying the same thing might have helped....especially as you say when you think you are an expert after a couple of YouTube videos. 

Perhaps she will simply take some time out and then rejoin us , I certainly hope so . 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, they've packed up and gone. Or been banned  

According to the forum software he (or is it she?) has been active in the last few minutes, so neither scenario would appear to be correct. 

Ok, I didn't realise this would cause so much comment. Admin have asked me about it too. Here is the explanation I sent to them.

I posted asking about freight on the GU (those on my mooring are being consulted about a local development and the local land dwellers have suggested using the canal instead of HGVs. I wasn't sure how possible that was as I don't see anything like it near me (and I've walked the canal for decades before moving onto it). So, before writing any response to the general consultation I checked on here - the answer seems to be it would be possible to a fairly limited extent, but definitely not to replace all the HGVs - still something I'm happy to put pen to paper in support of though). But the majority of the posts on the thread were having a go at me. Some on topic, others just like a gang of school bullies. 

I've posted enough on here to be personally identifiable to people who know me in real life. I don't want them to see that kind of interaction with me in a public place. 

So, I decided to stop posting on here and make a GDPR request for personal info to be deleted. The only bit I can DIY is the name. So, I made it look as close as possible to a deleted/anonymous account. 

End Quote

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Oh well. Dare say they will pop up on TB and be hailed as the new messiah. 

Arse! ? notice I have added a smiley to make it ok

If they appear on Thunderboat they will be welcome as all new members are thick skin required sometimes snowflakes best not join

3 minutes ago, Guest said:

the majority of the posts on the thread were having a go at me

????

I’ve just been through the thread again and there was one post picking up on your comment about noisy tugs winding in your basin. Most of the rest of the posts were in favour of the idea, explaining how it could be achieved, and recommending companies to contact. I certainly didn’t see ‘The majority’ having a pop at you. 

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Arse! ? notice I have added a smiley to make it ok

If they appear on Thunderboat they will be welcome as all new members are thick skin required sometimes snowflakes best not join

If they think this is like a school playground they will find it a shock over there once their crown has slipped....actually its more like a playgroup....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

Wood, Hall & Heward

http://www.whhbarges.co.uk

I would second this recommendation - they certainly have all the necessary craft (pusher tugs, barges and motorbarges) and experience in exactly this sort of operation. They are based in Rickmansworth - they do a lot of work into London and on the Lee and the Stort, and up the Grand Union to at least Berkhamsted.

I hope you can at least still read posts, whatever else may or may not have happened.

Tam

• Love 1

Some yeras back P&S Marine were operating a former leisure boat converted so it could carry building materials to canal-side locations.  It was used when the old wharf in Berkhamsted that the Fosters used to operate Bridgewater Boats from was developed as luxuryhousing.

Just a single boat of maybe 50 feet, I think, and I have no idea if it still exists in that work boat form.

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Must be a proper bummer, your idyll being ruined by someone using the cut for what it was built for.

You suggest your lovely quiet basin isn't an official winding hole.  If that's the case you can put up a NIMBY sign.

You say "the principle of canal freight seems like a fairly decent thing to support if it is a feasible option"  I disagree.  I think it's an essential thing to encourage.

Apart from something interesting to look at, the least you'd end up with would be a deeper canal.

Surely the feasibility of the idea is down to the contract writers and negotiators.  If there are no suitable boats/Haulage Companies etc. then it should never get to the point of being even considered.

Aside from the patronising and sarky comment at the outset, I have worked until recently on feasibility studies for water freight, and may well do so again if clients stop demanding the answer "it won't work" and genuinely listen to the independent advice they're paying for

And I'd also disagree with the bit in bold, freight use of what have become leisure waterways needs to be carefully considered - it isn't always a good idea

12 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Surely the feasibility of the idea is down to the contract writers and negotiators.  If there are no suitable boats/Haulage Companies etc. then it should never get to the point of being even considered.

If we leave it to these people it will never happen - they understand roads and don't want to consider anything else

14 hours ago, Guest said:

Are there (m)any companies offering haulage (of demolition waste) on the southern bits of the GU?

Local land residents want a development to be forced to use this as a condition of the planning being granted. Now, I suspect this would result in a bunch of noisy tugs winding in my lovely quiet basin which is closer to the development site than any official winding spaces but the principle of canal freight seems like a fairly decent thing to support if it is a feasible option.

Little battles won, canal haulage being used for a basement excavation in Camden last year

547 Regents Canal Little Venice To Old Ford 19th August 2019.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

????

I’ve just been through the thread again and there was one post picking up on your comment about noisy tugs winding in your basin. Most of the rest of the posts were in favour of the idea, explaining how it could be achieved, and recommending companies to contact. I certainly didn’t see ‘The majority’ having a pop at you. 

I think this thread was just the last straw, she has had some bullying and some members have followed her round the forum to be deliberately not very nice; our resident psychopath did his usual gaslighting and gatekeeping routine on her, though she handled him quite well. Because there was a little group that did seem to see winding her up as good sport (ranging from petty and snide to down right uncalled for) this may have lead her to be slightly more defensive in other conversations were she might not otherwise have been, which in turn compounded the problem, as often happens. 

I can't say we were friends, but it's always a shame when the forum becomes a little less diverse. 

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I think this thread was just the last straw, she has had some bullying and some members have followed her round the forum to be deliberately not very nice; our resident psychopath did his usual gaslighting and gatekeeping routine on her, though she handled him quite well. Because there was a little group that did seem to see winding her up as good sport (ranging from petty and snide to down right uncalled for) this may have lead her to be slightly more defensive in other conversations were she might not otherwise have been, which in turn compounded the problem, as often happens. 

I can't say we were friends, but it's always a shame when the forum becomes a little less diverse. 

She did a brilliant job of bringing a lot of it on herself! Maybe if a little humility had been shown on her part then others including myself may have been more understanding. 

Edited by frangar

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

our resident psychopath did his usual gaslighting and gatekeeping routine on her

Three in one!

Firstly, to the best of my knowledge and belief we do not have a "resident psychopath"; if you feel otherwise, please refrain from naming him or her.

Secondly, could you put "gaslighting and gatekeeping" into comprehensible English, please?

Thirdly, you say "her", but the member in question gives "not telling" as their gender.

Just now, Athy said:

if you feel otherwise, please refrain from naming him or her.

I didn't, did I. 

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Secondly, could you put "gaslighting and gatekeeping" into comprehensible English, please?

That is it in comprehensible English. Just because you haven't come across those expressions don't mean they don't exist or aren't well known and understood. 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thirdly, you say "her", but the member in question gives "not telling" as their gender.

She posted posts stating that she was posting in the context that she was a she. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

That is it in comprehensible English. Just because you haven't come across those expressions don't mean they don't exist or aren't well known and understood. 

This one is neither.

Go on, give us a clue. Would an explanation be over-onerous?