Haulage on the GU?

Featured Posts

Are there (m)any companies offering haulage (of demolition waste) on the southern bits of the GU?

Local land residents want a development to be forced to use this as a condition of the planning being granted. Now, I suspect this would result in a bunch of noisy tugs winding in my lovely quiet basin which is closer to the development site than any official winding spaces but the principle of canal freight seems like a fairly decent thing to support if it is a feasible option.

8 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Are there (m)any companies offering haulage (of demolition waste) on the southern bits of the GU?

Local land residents want a development to be forced to use this as a condition of the planning being granted. Now, I suspect this would result in a bunch of noisy tugs winding in my lovely quiet basin which is closer to the development site than any official winding spaces but the principle of canal freight seems like a fairly decent thing to support if it is a feasible option.

Doing t in York but it's big stuff up here proper boats on big waterways! George Dyson is the boat doing the job, stuck just outside York at the moment due to high tides and floods 

31 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I suspect this would result in a bunch of noisy tugs winding in my lovely quiet basin

Must be a proper bummer, your idyll being ruined by someone using the cut for what it was built for.

You suggest your lovely quiet basin isn't an official winding hole.  If that's the case you can put up a NIMBY sign.

You say "the principle of canal freight seems like a fairly decent thing to support if it is a feasible option"  I disagree.  I think it's an essential thing to encourage.

Apart from something interesting to look at, the least you'd end up with would be a deeper canal.

Surely the feasibility of the idea is down to the contract writers and negotiators.  If there are no suitable boats/Haulage Companies etc. then it should never get to the point of being even considered.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Must be a proper bummer, your idyll being ruined by someone using the cut for what it was built for.

You suggest your lovely quiet basin isn't an official winding hole.  If that's the case you can put up a NIMBY sign.

No need to be an ******** about it. If the idea is feasible I'm considering supporting it - I'm asking the question here because the local land dwellers (who don't want HGVs on their roads) haven't been able to suggest any companies who might provide the service to the developers.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Wood, Hall & Heward

http://www.whhbarges.co.uk

Thank you, that is actually useful! The land dwellers have had several aspects of the development plans changed (lots of letter writing/local media involvement etc) so if there are viable alternatives it isn't impossible they could get this one through with some boaters in favour also...

Edited to add: they've already got it to the point where the developers had to write some form of response saying 'too expensive & difficult/not doing' but the published bits don't specify how much too expensive & difficult (e.g. 'need to buy barges and learn to operate them ourselves as noon else has the capacity/suitable boats & operators in the vicinity' is a bit different to 'cost a couple of pence/tonne more to get rid').

Aside: I'm really tired of the functionally illiterate having a go at me for stuff I haven't said on here. I'm entirely capable of being flipping offensive and annoying when properly understood! @zenataomm I quite like horses and ice for my G&T though. So, would be delighted to welcome your horse drawn haulage, of the ice you're importing from Norway for domestic consumption, (not the original, but at least a rather older use of it) to the basin.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

The CBOA would be a good starter for ten for the developer if they are serious about using the waterways as part of their development. Don't forget that empty boats coming in to collect stuff could actually be used to bring in materials to a site too.

About 10 years ago there was a substantial gravel haulage operation taking garvel out from Paddington Basin whilst it was being developed. Tbh I'm not sure exactly where it went but several commercial/historic narrowboat owners were used on this job, Archie & Ara, Victoria, Callisto and Arundel iirc. YouTube searched will give you an idea of what they were able to achieve. 

There was also another sustained commercial operation on the lower GU around the same time i think with a wharf being set up and gravel (i think) being moved in decent tonnage but narrowboat (possibly Arundel again?).

I doubt this sort of operation you are suggesting would make financial sense as you'd need to get the materials to and from the canalside and have means for loading and unloading a boat, but it wouldn't certainly have a positive environmental impact and give good PR and for that reason I'm sure CRT/local authority and CBOA would be willing to help facilitate.

7 hours ago, Guest said:

Thank you, that is actually useful! The land dwellers have had several aspects of the development plans changed (lots of letter writing/local media involvement etc) so if there are viable alternatives it isn't impossible they could get this one through with some boaters in favour also...

Edited to add: they've already got it to the point where the developers had to write some form of response saying 'too expensive & difficult/not doing' but the published bits don't specify how much too expensive & difficult (e.g. 'need to buy barges and learn to operate them ourselves as noon else has the capacity/suitable boats & operators in the vicinity' is a bit different to 'cost a couple of pence/tonne more to get rid').

Aside: I'm really tired of the functionally illiterate having a go at me for stuff I haven't said on here. I'm entirely capable of being flipping offensive and annoying when properly understood! @zenataomm I quite like horses and ice for my G&T though. So, would be delighted to welcome your horse drawn haulage, of the ice you're importing from Norway for domestic consumption, (not the original, but at least a rather older use of it) to the basin.

Where is this Development you are talking about ?

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Where is this Development you are talking about ?

As it looks to me that "Guest" posts may have been by "TheMenagerieAfloat", I rather suspect they have dove something to get themselves "Modded", and are probably not now in a position where they can post.

Has there been some "bad behaviour?"

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

As it looks to me that "Guest" posts may have been by "TheMenagerieAfloat", I rather suspect they have dove something to get themselves "Modded", and are probably not now in a position where they can post.

Have they not just changed their name?  

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I was just wondering Alan if it was anything to do with the MK Marina Development which of course is in close proximity to an unofficial winding hole previously mentioned

9 hours ago, Guest said:

I've largely stopped doing work for developers on carriage by water as this is what they want one to say amd when one says "but it is practical" they don't like it

as has already been said, Wood, Hall and Heward are the peeps for the job

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

Have they not just changed their name?  

No, they've packed up and gone. Or been banned.

Judging by the posts remaining by previous posters who were banned or demanded their profiles be deleted. Their remaining posts are by "Guest" too.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Judging by the posts remaining by previous posters who were banned or demanded their profiles be deleted. Their remaining posts are by "Guest" too.

Hopefully not been banned , its really unfortunate if that proves to be the case .

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh well. Dare say they will pop up on TB and be hailed as the new messiah. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Parahandy said:

I suspect they have probably packed up , I dont recall anything Posted as being offensive

Post 7 fits the bill surely, and did the damage.

People's internal calibration of what comes across as offensive gets terribly distorted on here. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Unfortunate and entirely predictable, given the behaviour towards her of some on here.

I didn't know it was a " her " Mike , I believe the Avatar was " Gender not telling " ? I must admit all I witnessed was the normal ebb and flow of conversation