Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

*** never mind - clearly it's beyond your limits of wit.

I do mind, as that is clearly beyond our limits of civility. Please be careful.

So, the Trump item was your invention?

8 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

** they don't know these celebs, they just fantasise that they do.

This is a specious assertion. "Know" in this context means "are familiar with". Most of us know Ant & Dec - we recognise them and are familiar with their work. It doesn't mean that they come round to our houses for tea.

Hence, millions of people "knew" this unfortunate lady.

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, the Trump item was your invention?

This is a specious assertion. "Know" in this context means "are familiar with". Most of us know Ant & Dec - we recognise them and are familiar with their work. It doesn't mean that they come round to our houses for tea.

whatever ..................   :banghead:

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

whatever ..................   :banghead:

I knew that we would reach agreement.  Oh, mind your head.

Strictly back on topic, I presume that those in charge of such programmes - be they newscasters, producers or what you will - choose items which will interest the British public.

Hence, for example, there was little coverage of pension-related strikes in France; it's not a story to which many people here could relate, and the French are always going on strike anyway.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Dear Mike,

I am referring to your duality: moderator person v opinionated personna.

yours sincerely,

Jo

I find myself empathising with your position.   I thought it needed no explanation.

I increasingly find myself irritated at people's criticism of news that doesn't fit with what they want to read, FFS read something else if it doesn't interest you. I haven't much knowledge or interest in Ms Flack but accept that it is a reportable news item. Imagine if the BBC had put a complete news blackout on the subject, the conspiracy theorists would be out in force demanding why the BBC were 'covering up' her death, and throwing up their usual stupid conspiracies.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 2

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I increasingly find myself irritated at people's criticism of news that doesn't fit with what they want to read, FFS read something else if it doesn't interest you. I haven't much knowledge or interest in Ms Flack but accept that it is a reportable news item. Imagine if the BBC had put a complete new blackout on the subject, the conspiracy theorists would be out in force demanding why the BBC were 'covering up' her death, and throwing up their usual stupid conspiracies.

in my case it's not about what is included in the news - it's about the undue prominence of the press coverage.  

• Greenie 1

why every thread descends to some personal remark about each other? We can have robust argument on any topic and take the most extreme position but while still being civil to each other.

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What does this have to do with General Boating? Why is it posted in here?

Moaning about the BBC belongs in the politics board I think.

It's because since they moved politics off the VNC, everyone trying to get a rise out of others have given up posting there and are posting in the pub. I noticed it days ago. It's no fun trolling where no-one can see you.

• Greenie 2

It is quite interesting to watch BBC news then Al Jazeera, RT and Sky news. Each have their bias and, allowing for that, you get a better view of what is happening in the world, even if Al Jazeera insist on giving you the weather forecast for Australia and SE Asia on their UK broadcast!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

@Tmix [why no @Tmix] should listen to the BBC R4 to find the back story, it seems that the Celebrity Lifestyle is far from ideal. This lady became a victim of her own celebrity and was in process of being prosecuted by the CPP, when it looks like she needed professional support.

Sadly, society is crumbling.

What , Society is crumbling because the Police reacted to a Crime being committed and after the evidence was assessed she was Prosecuted . There are plenty of Victims in Society celebrity or otherwise , I cant help but wonder what the reaction would be if this sad Lady had been attacked and beaten by her Boyfriend who then subsequently committed Suicide .

Good Riddance I expect .

12 hours ago, Athy said:

No, I think you'll find that both stories are true. It is what the press call a "slow news day".

You'll have to ask Tim that. Now moved to the Virtual Pub after a couple of reports from members.

No, although the BBC does report on political stories, it is not a political organisation.

Some might disagree with the assertion that the BBC isn't a political organisation, even though their support for the Tories has spectacularly backfired. 

26 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's because since they moved politics off the VNC, everyone trying to get a rise out of others have given up posting there and are posting in the pub. I noticed it days ago. It's no fun trolling where no-one can see you.

You actually believe that Arthur ?

1 minute ago, BWM said:

Some might disagree with the assertion that the BBC isn't a political organisation, even though their support for the Tories has spectacularly backfired. 

I was reading earlier it may be going subscription only 

29 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yes I noticed this too, it started within minutes of politics being hidden from VNC. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes I noticed this too, it started within minutes of politics being hidden from VNC. 

Motion carried , any other business ? 😀

BBC has now set up an Actionline for the poor folk who have been affected by the suicide of a 'celeb'.

the world is doomed.

...................... am I glad that the Beeb chooses to spend my licence money in this way?   .......................  err - you guess. 

Edited by Murflynn

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've noticed some people gripe a lot, and throw tantrums.

3 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

What has come out of the tragedy of someone taking their own life, with the finger pointing, yet again, at this person’s treatment by the popular press, is the following phrase:

”In a world where you can be anything, be kind.”

Worth remembering I think

Matthew Syed made some very telling comments on Sky’s Press Preview last night, related directly to this tragedy in particular, and to social media in general.

I think he quoted the same quote which, as you say, is well worth remembering, but which seems to be easily forgotten or ignored... particularly on social media, including forums like this :( 

Just now, Murflynn said:

BBC has now set up an Actionline for the poor folk who have been affected by the suicide of a 'celeb'.

the world is doomed.

Its just the usual virtue signalling reactionary claptrap that some facets of the BBC are becoming famous for . That said , I listened to a pleasant piece of Narration on 4extra last week . It was by the Deceased Journalist Deborah Orr who I was stunned to find was the same age as myself , grew up in the same area and indeed drank in the same Pubs . It was entitled Motherwell and sadly I learned that Deborah had recently passed away from Breast Cancer . I literally lay awake dumbfounded by this discovery and upset I hadn't learned of her existence earlier as apparently she was widely published and was married to Will Self . This sort of content I applaud the BBC for , it just often feels its the exception rather than the rule .

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Strictly back on topic, I presume that those in charge of such programmes - be they newscasters, producers or what you will - choose items which will interest the British public.

They choose the programmes that will make money. Anything else is incidental. 

The tabloids attack well-known figures and in extreme cases it can lead to suicide. Who, I wonder, is behaving irresponsibly?

Just now, Parahandy said:

upset I hadn't learned of her existence earlier as apparently she was widely published and was married to Will Self

I'm not surprised. Perhaps you should read The Guardian more often.

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The tabloids attack well-known figures and in extreme cases it can lead to suicide. Who, I wonder, is behaving irresponsibly?

Was she attacked Ian ? It completely passed me by . I think it was unfortunate she was suspended from ITV , I couldn't see the point of that .

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm not surprised. Perhaps you should read The Guardian more often.

Point taken Ian , I had no idea of her Politics nor her existence , it was just coming from the same background I was pleased she had done well in her chosen field . Of course this was dissipated when I learnt she had died of Breast Cancer at such a young age .

Edited by Parahandy

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Are you sure they have set it up just for this?

They link to actionline for a whole variety of issues raised in programmes, giving further information and contacts for relevant organisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/actionline

I don't see why them linking to it for the reported suicide of an actual person, sleb or not, makes any less sense than linking to it when a fictional character tops themself in a drama.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, I was referring to the BBC whose programmes carry no advertising, so no money is involved. In any case, advertising promotes products rather than news items. I can't imagine any company sponsoring a cabinet reshuffle.

3 hours ago, BWM said:

Some might disagree with the assertion that the BBC isn't a political organisation,

But they would be mistaken. The BBC is a public corporation - though perhaps sometimes a bit of lefty bias does seem to creep into their reporting.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Athy said:

where does the matter if civility come into it?          WIT : the capacity for inventive thought and quick understanding; keen intelligence, as in "she does not lack perception or native wit"