Boats to view

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

You will not find a larger stock in one place anywhere else than Whilton Marina.

However, if you are unfamilar with Whilton Marina, it is worth using the forum search facility to see what people think of them, as they undoubtedly have some sharp business practices.

But if you just want to crawl freely over many boats unaccompanied with nobody giving you the hard sell, to get an idea of what's around, you probably will not do better.

Edited by alan_fincher
Missed letters
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Jimmiboy said:

Can anyone recommend a boat brokerage where they have a large stock of boats.  Ideally in the South

Buy a Waterways magazine - Waterways World or Canalboat, or pick up free copies of Towpath Talk from chandlers or look at on line. All these sources show Brokers and may give links to their websites.

Google Inland Waterways brokers.

You should be able to find enough suitable information to allowyou to sort out a wish list and an itinerary of visits.

Howard

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

You will not find a larger stock in one place anywhere else than Whilton Marina.

However, if you are unfamilar with Whilton Marina, it is worth using the forum search facility to see what people think of them, as they undoubtedly have some sharp business practices.

But if you just want to crawl freely over many boats unaccompanied with nobody giving you the hard sell, to get an idea of what's around, you probably will not do better.

If you are going to Whilton (which would be a good idea if you want to see a lot of boats) try to get to Rugby Boat Sales - which is just down the road (not in Rugby) at the same time. You will see some unusual boats, well presented by a broker with a very good name.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

That’s exactly what I want to do, in my mind I want a reverse layout cruiser. But I’ve been on so few boats I need to have a proper look around. 

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Whilton  a great place for viewing boats, and probably not a bad place for you, or your estate to walk away from a no longer loved boat, with the simple instruction of "just get it sold and get what you can for it"

Actually buying a boat from them, read the forums, if you know what you are doing, it appears you can do well, but otherwise caveat emptor seems paramount advice. And good searching, the more you see, the more focused your searching will become, and the better you will become at judging the price that somebody else might pay for any  boat on sale, including that boat that entices you to place an offer.

Edited by DandV

2 hours ago, Jimmiboy said:

That’s exactly what I want to do, in my mind I want a reverse layout cruiser. But I’ve been on so few boats I need to have a proper look around. 

I'm a tad concerned by that statement. There really is no safer way than actually staying on several boats for at least a week. Otherwise you will not really appreciate the very complex nature of the boat design process and the number of compromises that have to be made. Something that looks pretty may well divert attention from a mundane feature that will just annoy you, or worse, every day. Even those with years* if experience get it wrong.

*my auto correct initially had this as tears, probably should have left of that way!

28 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I'm a tad concerned by that statement. There really is no safer way than actually staying on several boats for at least a week. Otherwise you will not really appreciate the very complex nature of the boat design process and the number of compromises that have to be made. Something that looks pretty may well divert attention from a mundane feature that will just annoy you, or worse, every day. Even those with years* if experience get it wrong.

*my auto correct initially had this as tears, probably should have left of that way!

Hi, thanks for your concern. But I’ve got to start somewhere. My plan is to look at plenty of boats to get a feel for them. Once I have my shortlist I’ll do my best to rent something similar. However at some point I’ll have to take the plunge, there’s no way I can possibly know if something will start to bug me later on, but to be fair the same could be said about, a house, a car, a bike, children! etc. Especially considering those with years of experience can still get it wrong. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Eldog said:

If you decide to visit Whilton I suggest you also put aside time to visit ABNB just up the road at Crick as well as Rugby boats as previously mentioned.  You will find very different approaches to the art of boat selling!

Indeed there are several brokers very close together in that general area. As well as the ones mentioned there is GHBS at Wigrams Turn Marina near Napton, and Braunston Boat Sales at Braunston Marina.

Perhaps best to drive to the area and stay in a B&B for a night or two whilst looking at the many boats these brokers collectively have to offer.

On 15/02/2020 at 07:17, Jimmiboy said:

That's kinda what I have. From the rear deck you walk into the kitchen, then a 6ft open space, then bathroom, then bedroom and finally front room with doors onto the raised front deck.

I'm moored in Leighton Buzzard at the minute, if you were local and wanted to pop your head in for 5 minutes drop me a PM

DSC_4070.jpg