New Series Britain by Barge Ch5

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I’ve just switched this on half way through going into an ad break. There’s a text competition to win a 3 day boating break for 4 with £1000 to spend while you are there. Given it’s not your boat or equipment we are talking about what would you spend the £1000 on? 

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I’ve just switched this on half way through going into an ad break. There’s a text competition to win a 3 day boating break for 4 with £1000 to spend while you are there. Given it’s not your boat or equipment we are talking about what would you spend the £1000 on? 

Beer!!

I suppose their excuse is that it does show the Five Rise Locks Café, close to the top lock!:)

I think they needed a stop to get their bearings after the meandering they showed en route before the locks, which continued to the end of the programme. Still, it does make a scenic subject, but I am biased.

Howard

Howard

So I guess this new programme will be ...

Technically inaccurate.

Historically mixed up.

Will show places that they passed earlier after they've been seen further along going the same way.

Show historically grainy film cuts of what it was like a hundred years ago, except the subject matter is a different navigation, catering for different boats and hundreds of miles away.

And most predictably. there will be no mention of Narrow Boats or Short Boats, just barges and Barges and even more bargees and their barge.

What did I miss out?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

Technically inaccurate. 

Historically mixed up.

Will show places that they passed earlier after they've been seen further along going the same way.

Show historically grainy film cuts of what it was like a hundred years ago, except the subject matter is a different navigation, catering for different boats and hundreds of miles away.

And most predictably. there will be no mention of Narrow Boats or Short Boats, just barges and Barges and even more bargees and their barge.

What did I miss out?

It was nearly worth it for them to tell us that Bingley Five Rise was designed to take a pair of narrowboats.

The best bit for me was the introduction of a local "Industrial Historian" and "expert on the Leeds & Liverpool"

Drumroll for 

Mike Clarke

Liz McIvor

Sorry @Pluto

Episode 2 they come past your house ....

We thought that it was better than its close predecessor Celebrities Go Barging, more about the canal and related history than John Segeant and  a whole lot safer than Tim and Pru that gave barging a whole new meaning.

If it wasn't for the multiple editing errors, what would boaters have to complain about? Or have the chance to show off their superior knowledge. At least I think I spotted all those already mentioned, and a few more as well.

At least we did not have to see the celebs pretending to have slept  and cooked aboard and appearing in suitably discreet nightwear!

I have to say as these type of programmes go it’s not too bad...at least Pete Waterman either has some interest in the history or is good at pretending he has! I was expecting it to be a lot worse...and I liked the magnetic name boards covering up the Shire Cruisers name! 

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

I have to say as these type of programmes go it’s not too bad...at least Pete Waterman either has some interest in the history or is good at pretending he has! I was expecting it to be a lot worse...and I liked the magnetic name boards covering up the Shire Cruisers name! 

Pete Waterman is going to be the official opener of the Braunston Historical Boat Festival this summer after telling Tim about his childhood memories of fishing in the old reservoirs which are now the top end of the marina.

They didnt stay on board and there were 3 boats in the convoy.

10 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Technically inaccurate.

Historically mixed up.

What did I miss out?

You won't be watching it then.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I found the program more interesting than the previous series as there was more about the history of the canal environment and less about the crews lack of ability at driving. Bill Oddie is a bit of a pain though ?

Haggis

He suffers from bipolar so you have to admire his bravery or stupidity to agree to appear on the program. 

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

If it wasn't for the multiple editing errors...

Except that they’re not ‘errors’. The order that the various items figure in the program is determined by the Series Editor or Series Producer in order to make the program balanced without a ‘clump of history’ followed by a ‘clump of scenery’. The intended audience (the general public) couldn’t care less in what order the items are shown. 

I watched one of Jono’s videos once where he was passing through Nuneaton en route to the Ashby. He mentioned passing all of the allotments but the supporting video was obviously filmed on his return because he was going the wrong way. But so what?

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Except that they’re not ‘errors’. The order that the various items figure in the program is determined by the Series Editor or Series Producer in order to make the program balanced without a ‘clump of history’ followed by a ‘clump of scenery’. The intended audience (the general public) couldn’t care less in what order the items are shown. 

I watched one of Jono’s videos once where he was passing through Nuneaton en route to the Ashby. He mentioned passing all of the allotments but the supporting video was obviously filmed on his return because he was going the wrong way. But so what?

You seem to have missed the point of that para. Perhaps if I had put inverted commas around the phrase editing errors you might have got it.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, howardang said:

I suppose their excuse is that it does show the Five Rise Locks Café, close to the top lock!:)

Memory of carrying the cassette alongside all the coffee drinkers to the Elsan at the end of the cafe (don't know how to get the accent on my keyboard!)

• Haha 1