CRT help themselves to licence fee twice

Mrs Trackman

Featured Posts

Just looking at our bank account and realised CRT had helped themselves to our licence fee at the start of February as well as at the start of January. We pay by annual direct debit. I am hoping this is the first time this has happened but will check back. 

It would be a relief to let you know that CRT had sorted it. But no. Response was that the matter is in the hands of the licence team who donot appear to be directly accessible. This is totally unacceptable as can easily mean boaters being pushed into debt.

Anyone else had this happen?

• Horror 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Just looking at our bank account and realised CRT had helped themselves to our licence fee at the start of February as well as at the start of January. We pay by annual direct debit. I am hoping this is the first time this has happened but will check back. 

It would be a relief to let you know that CRT had sorted it. But no. Response was that the matter is in the hands of the licence team who donot appear to be directly accessible. This is totally unacceptable as can easily mean boaters being pushed into debt.

Never had any problems with automatic renewal and direct debit.  I've spoken directly to to renewals person directly on this number when I've had a query. 

0303 040 4040.

21 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

No but I am going to check my account on line because I paid for the first time by the same method! ?

28 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Tell your bank you want to claim one of the payments back under the direct debit guarantee scheme.

You will then have your money back and CRT and the bank can bicker with each other at lesiure.

• Greenie 4

Surely the direct debit guarantee would kick in here.  I would be contacting my bank not CRT.  The annoyance is probably the time to get the payment back.  Why not pay it by credit card, what is the benefit of using direct debit for a single payment?

Edited by john6767

25 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Surely the direct debit guarantee would kick in here.  I would be contacting my bank not CRT.  The annoyance is probably the time to get the payment back.  Why not pay it by credit card, what is the benefit of using direct debit for a single payment?

The only benefit you get with DD payment is that you don't lose the early payment discount if you forget to pay on time.

29 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You're correct, that's what I do. I thought that's what the op meaant by DD.

A direct debit is quite different to a recurring payment from a credit card.  At least in the CC case you will spot the double billing and raise with the CC company (possibly just your bank) before you have payed it.

They did it with me one year..instead of taking my monthly direct debit they took the full licence amount in one go..six times..they had me down as having six boats all with the same name so they took six payments..nearly 4 grand..and i didnt have 4 grand so i went massively overdrawn..and the bank were going to charge me £38 per day interest.when i got in touch with bw as it was then they apologised said it was their fault entirely ( which i already knew ) but the worrying part was when i asked them when they could pay the money back they said it takes 16 days..so i told them about the £38 per day interest they said dont worry we,l pay that...thankfully the bank were able to claim the money back