Compost Toilet....

robtheplod

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All, just seen this which is new, not a bad price either when looking at the other vastly overpriced loo's about. 

I note that they don’t mention where they dispose of their non-composted poo-in-a-bag. 

I've had my composting toilet for just over a year now.

I promised to write about it when it was a year old and someone on here foolishly said that they would be interested. So I will put something on here next week.

2 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I've had my composting toilet for just over a year now.

I promised to write about it when it was a year old and someone on here foolishly said that they would be interested. So I will put something on here next week.

Does it need emptying already? !!! :D

(Dear Snowflakes, this is a joke aimed at cassette and pumpout users.  I'm pretty sure he has had to empty it at least once before in the past 12 months ... maybe twice if he has a lot of people onboard.)

Anyway, I'll let the blind lead the blind some more now.   Just ask them where their dog goes ....

I get the impression views are quite polarised on this topic?  We have a pumpout but if/when it fails, compost seems to be a better option than cassette?  I like the idea of zero smell that everyone seems to comment on who has one...  have I missed something as it looks the way forward??

Edited by robtheplod

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

I get the impression views are quite polarised on this topic?  We have a pumpout but if/when it fails, compost seems to be a better option than cassette?  I like the idea of zero smell that everyone seems to comment on who has one...

Rob. Think about it, composting bogs have been about just as long as pump out and cassette. If u have a spare hour look at every boat for sale at a number of brokers and note down how many have composting bogs then ask yourself why. 

2 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

have I missed something as it looks the way forward??

Have you got either :

1) Land where you can empty your 'buckets', or

2) Sufficient room under your bed to keep buckets of carp for 6 months (buckets need to be kept open for air to compost -aerobic bacteria)

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Rob. Think about it, composting bogs have been about just as long as pump out and cassette. If u have a spare hour look at every boat for sale at a number of brokers and note down how many have composting bogs then ask yourself why. 

My childhood home (the Village Manor House & Farm) was built in the 1600's and had an outside 3-seater toilet.

The toilet was emptied every few days and the contents disposed of (presumably on the land)

By the time of my childhood, the toilet was till there (my ferret cage lived on top of it) but we had 'internal facilities and running water'.

31 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

I get the impression views are quite polarised on this topic?  We have a pumpout but if/when it fails, compost seems to be a better option than cassette?  I like the idea of zero smell that everyone seems to comment on who has one...  have I missed something as it looks the way forward??

They are basically a good idea

For someone who is comfortable being more involved with their waste.

Have somewhere to actually compost the solid waste.

Have somewhere to dispose of the fluids

Compost toilets in a boat context are not really compost loos, they are more dessicating toilets, the actual composting is a process that can take months, depending on how the compost process is undertaken.

Some users dispose of their dessicated waste by bagging and putting in the standard CRT bins, apart from the hygiene issues from this I think it's a waste of valuable landfill when there is an appropriate waste process already available.

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1

I can use kitty litter in an emergency, the idea of setting up a formal bog to accept human waste and stick it in two black bags, and try to find random containers ....

I have a cassette on the boat, it is emptied evey ten days, seven minutes its tolerable nine times out of ten.

Edited by LadyG

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Anyway, I'll let the blind lead the blind some more now.   Just ask them where their dog goes ..

My dog poo goes into our commercial composting green bin along with food waste, garden cuttings etc. I don’t gift it to the refuse collectors. 

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

compost seems to be a better option than cassette?

Only if you think that putting your raw carp into a bag and giving it to the refuse collectors is a better option than putting it into the sewers for it to be dealt with appropriately. 

Field Studies have a composting toilet at one of their centres I worked at in the last century. It produced a large amount of compost out the back of the shed it was in. They were able to leave it to compost naturally over a long time before bagging it and spreading it on the garden. Worked well as far as I remember. 

• Greenie 1

When I was doing my ONC & HNC Electrical courses we often made 'field trips' to the local sewage works as they were generating electricity and feeding it back into the grid (this was quite novel some 45-50 years ago), anyway, that aside, I noticed that they had a sign at 'the gate' showing they had Tomatoes and Melons for sale.

Apparently Tomato and Melon seeds pass thru the gut unaffected and when the 'sewage cake' was spread out to dry it produced a tremendous crop - a bit of pocket money for the employees.

As one of the employees used to tell us "It may be sh£t to you, but to us it is bread and butter"

Maybe a giveaway that a boat has a composting toilet could be the presence of flourishing Tomato &/or Melon plants

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

Field Studies have a composting toilet at one of their centres I worked at in the last century. It produced a large amount of compost out the back of the shed it was in. They were able to leave it to compost naturally over a long time before bagging it and spreading it on the garden. Worked well as far as I remember. 

I have had a composting loo for years I have a composting bin which is needed,  I put kitchen waste directly into the toilet other moorers throw vegetable matter into the bin as well.  In the recent hard frosts the bottom half of the bin was frost free so it's working, the surprising thing is how fast the bin goes down. Is it a success? Yes it is no smell no long walks with poo and wee every few days defo a success 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes, but I can't help thinking they've gone nose blind. My neighbour has one and there's quite a noticeable musty farmyard smell, even though he can't smell it.

Agreed. What they mean is  no smell INSIDE the boat. They all have a fan running 24/7/365 to blow it out through a vent duct to outside, so everyone else gets it instead. 

• Haha 1

No need for toilets on the boat at all. Just buy up loads of Nappies from Ebay and wear them. can be removed and changed outside next to the Cart Biffa bins so no mess or stinks in the boat. Or make your own out of old bed sheets, like mum used to do and buy giant safety pins from Ebay instead.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wasn't he Chinese ?

I'm sure I remember his name ……………………………. C'mon, think …………………..

"Who Flung Dung" - that was it.

Racist stereotyping. I think I’m now offended. No, I’m outraged...

• Haha 2