Mooring outside of Cambridge

Bluemountain

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Bluemountain said:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the regulations are for mooring between Cambridge and Ely beyond Baits Bite lock? Are there any restrictions or fees?

Many thanks

These folks may be able to help if you are thinking of the Cam around Cambridge

Telephone number at the bottom of the link;

Hopefully you are not looking for a permanent mooring as there is a 10 year waiting list.

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/residential-boat-mooring-licence

The waiting lists for a residential boat mooring licence is currently closed due to the number of people waiting for a space. The expected waiting times are up to 10 years for a narrow-beam boat, and up to 20 years for a wide-beam boat. We’ll reopen the lists when the estimated wait is less than 18 months.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I'm not quite clear what you mean by "beyond", nor what sort of moorings (short term, permanent, residential).

What follows covers the EA waterways to the north of Bottisham, as there is very little south of Bottisham (at the lock itself, and then Horningsea).  There are some 48 hour moorings operated by the EA, and some 48 hour moorings operated by the Great Ouse Boating Association.  Ely Council are not managing the moorings in Ely quite tightly. 

Outside these it all depends on the landowner, really. There are some places where people seem to moor "wild" for quite a while. 

And then there are a number of official moorings, some run by the EA (Upware),  and some by various boatyards (Upware, Fish and Duck, Lazy Otter, Ely Bridge, Ely Cathedral, Littleport etc etc). One co-op that I am aware of (Upware, very friendly)

And finally a number of "farm" moorings which are very isolated and rural eg Stretham, two just south of Upware, several on the Lark approaching Isleham. Not much in the way  of facilities, although some have electricity. 

I found I learnt most by looking at Google Earth, and then doing some exploring. Lots of the moorings are not advertised (eg I don't think you will find those at Horningsea on the Cam, south of Baitsbite, advertised anywhere on the internet) so shanks pony and chatting to local moorers is almost essential.

Hope that is of some use, I've kept my boat at Cathedral marina in Ely since 2014.  Oh are there are some reasonably active FB groups eg if you wanted to find out the telephone number for a given farm.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy