Black bits in the water

Featured Posts

On 13/02/2020 at 13:21, WotEver said:

Bacterial growth? Treat the system with bleach or Milton (which is bleach...).

Use a maximum of 15ml per 5 litres thin bleach (not thick bleach) added to a full water tank to sterilise the water system. Run some through each tap so that the taps and pipework are left full of the water/bleach mix then leave for 2 hours. Drain the tank, and rinse thoroughly by filling and draining a couple of times.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Use a maximum of 15ml per 5 litres thin bleach (not thick bleach) added to a full water tank to sterilise the water system. Run some through each tap so that the taps and pipework are left full of the water/bleach mix then leave for 2 hours. Drain the tank, and rinse thoroughly by filling and draining a couple of times.

For best practice, do this on a slow water point blocking a flight of locks during Easter weekend.

• Haha 2

It certainly looks more like limescale/hardness than 'black' from the picture above. Are you/have you been in a hard water area?

Particularly if your hose is one of those flat types it could well be that expanding it has dislodged hardness from the last time it was used.

The hose is a flat type and I have pushed paper towel through a few times with the water pressure and I have been surprised how much crap came out. I have also used a couple of bottles of Milton in the tank, left it a couple of hours and flushed through and the black bits seemed to have stopped? 

Thanks everyone for your help