Model historic working boat

Tom6239

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong place for my query!

I’m looking to build a RC model traditional working boat on an Orion Mouldings Hull, however being abit of a perfectionist I’d like to model an actual boat... 

Anyone know any historic boats which have a similar Hull and Bow to this? Kinda got the impression of a Woolwich by the general proportions of the bow but the deck isn’t right...

(sorry pictures pinched off the internet)

Thanks, Tom

CA6ECABF-AD75-4ACA-946F-26C3CEFD8EE3.jpeg

921FE952-11AA-4063-B06F-1D8AD323F274.jpeg

6E9B20A0-C624-41D4-967E-8097E4DF85CF.png

I'm sorry, but I don't think it bears much resemblance to any historic narrow boat hull I am aware of.

I don't know why they have chosen not to make it resemble any particular prototype, but in my view it doesn't.

If you want the end result to look like a known prototype, I think you need to look elsewhere, although it is quite probable you would need to build from scratch.

if you are a serious model maker, then building an authentic hull is easy peasy because the prototype was made from steel or iron sheets - easily replicated in sheet plywood or plastic.  Far more satisfying to do so than buying a crude model  hull shell that bears little resemblance to anything out there on the cut.

I would say that model bow has more resemblance to a Springer than any working boat.

127365_BoatPic_Main.jpg

14 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

if you are a serious model maker, then building an authentic hull is easy peasy because the prototype was made from steel or iron sheets - easily replicated in sheet plywood or plastic.  Far more satisfying to do so than buying a crude model  hull shell that bears little resemblance to anything out there on the cut.

Looking at the price of those Orion mouldings, doing it properly would be significantly cheaper as well.

Much appreciate the replies!

Does anyone know where I could track down drawings for a Large (or big or town class... not sure which is correct sorry haha) Woolwich?

The good lady and myself went to the Boat Museum Ellesmere Port last weekend but unfortunately the archives were closed :( 

Tom

3 minutes ago, Tom6239 said:

Does anyone know where I could track down drawings for a Large (or big or town class... not sure which is correct sorry haha) Woolwich?

The good lady and myself went to the Boat Museum Ellesmere Port last weekend but unfortunately the archives were closed :( 

Tom

It would probably now need to be via the museum these days.

A former member on here, Laurence Hogg, used to market them via his e-Bay shop, but sadly Laurence passed away some time back, so that source is presumably not still available.

Unless you can persuade someone on here to lend you a copy.  (I don't have any, though).

17 minutes ago, Tom6239 said:

Tom

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/MAPSPLANSONE1391

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw58.10.5.1.184

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw58.10.5.1.2

7 hours ago, Tom6239 said:

Hi all,

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong place for my query!

I’m looking to build a RC model traditional working boat on an Orion Mouldings Hull, however being abit of a perfectionist I’d like to model an actual boat... 

Anyone know any historic boats which have a similar Hull and Bow to this? Kinda got the impression of a Woolwich by the general proportions of the bow but the deck isn’t right...

(sorry pictures pinched off the internet)

Thanks, Tom

May I suggest that you contact Kieth Lodge, who is a member of this forum. He recently commissioned some transfers for a model GUCC working boat pair, so I assume that he either built them, or had them built for him :- https://fox-transfers.co.uk/customers-projects

image.png.bb784d564e47e24fedb14ce022ecc51b.png

Edited by David Schweizer

I cant think of the class/designation but i think the closest to your hull would be those of welded construction, they were named after trees - Oak and Ash were two of them, i'm sure someone will add more info. 

1 hour ago, BWM said:

I cant think of the class/designation but i think the closest to your hull would be those of welded construction, they were named after trees - Oak and Ash were two of them, i'm sure someone will add more info. 

The Severn and Canal Carrying Company's "Severners" built by Charles Hill in the mid-1930s?

Maybe a bit more similar at the front, if  you ignore the curious raised coaming, but certainly not at the back, as those boats have a fairly pointed counter, certainly not wide and round as in this model.

Apart from that the rivets are one of the better bits - it would be a shame to have to sand them off!

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

The Severn and Canal Carrying Company's "Severners" built by Charles Hill in the mid-1930s?

Maybe a bit more similar at the front, if  you ignore the curious raised coaming, but certainly not at the back, as those boats have a fairly pointed counter, certainly not wide and round as in this model.

Apart from that the rivets are one of the better bits - it would be a shame to have to sand them off!

That's the one, it was more the lack of rivets and general bow profile that made it a reasonable option but as you point out there are rivets...

Thank you all for the replies!

Tim Lewis, great help thank you I’ll fire off an email in the morn to see if I can obtain copies.

Brilliant drawing Pluto, sorry I have to admit I’m abit of a newbie when it comes to narrowboats (predominantly modelled trucks and Railways until now)

is there much difference dimension wise between the wooden build Rickmansworth and the H&W ones?

Thanks, Tom

The differences are probably in a couple of inches here and there, but they can make some difference to the shape, and where you can go with a full-sized boat. However, for a small model the differences become much more difficult to see, though someone is bound to tell you differently! It would certainly be worthwhile having a look at several examples as then you should begin to understand the nuances in shape which are so important to some - that can include me on occasion.

A few years ago (actually it appears it was 6 years ago!) I asked the question about some CAD plans I have which were deemed to come from the plans mentioned by others above.

Here's the discussion about them

Nice to see a modeller attempting to get things right. I've lost count of the number of layouts I've seen at model railway exhibitions where the builders have gone to ridiculous deatail to get things right on the locos, stations and stations, i.e liveries, vehicles, coaches for correct era etc, but will then go and plonk a model leisure narrowboat in the middle of their canal scene in their 1930's LMS period layout, or put a 2.99 gift shop tat model working boat in their transhipment wharf.

3 hours ago, junior said:

Nice to see a modeller attempting to get things right. I've lost count of the number of layouts I've seen at model railway exhibitions where the builders have gone to ridiculous deatail to get things right on the locos, stations and stations, i.e liveries, vehicles, coaches for correct era etc, but will then go and plonk a model leisure narrowboat in the middle of their canal scene in their 1930's LMS period layout, or put a 2.99 gift shop tat model working boat in their transhipment wharf.

We went to the exhibition held at the NEC last November and bumped into someone we know from boating. We discussed much the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...