Boat Insurance - Recommendations Please

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Morning all,

Our boat insurance is up for renewal, and we have always just re-insured with CraftInsure as it's easy and only £106 for the year. In figured though that for once I should shop around.

Can anyone recommend an insurer? I don't know how feasible it is with boat insurance but we were thinking it might actually be nice to have a policy that tags on some level of cover for personal belongings too (theft from the boat or such).

Any advice is always welcome.

2 hours ago, Frankieboy said:

Morning all,

Our boat insurance is up for renewal, and we have always just re-insured with CraftInsure as it's easy and only £106 for the year. In figured though that for once I should shop around.

Can anyone recommend an insurer? I don't know how feasible it is with boat insurance but we were thinking it might actually be nice to have a policy that tags on some level of cover for personal belongings too (theft from the boat or such).

My Craftinsure policy covers personal items on board up to a value of £900. I consider that quite adequate, on the basis that we don't keep any valuable personal items on the boat. Other stuff (equipment) is covered for theft provided that there has been a forced entry. I think that's quite reasonable and realistic, unless one wants insurance cover for one's own forgetfulness/stupidity (leaving the boat unlocked), and IMHO there should be a hefty premium for that. 

By the way, my annual premium has been £126 for the last three years.

I'm happy with that.

On 13/02/2020 at 06:40, Frankieboy said:

Morning all,

Bizarrely my premium with them is exactly the same, although that includes some personal effects cover (£1000 if I recall correctly), so maybe mine is an older boat/ worth less. I also thought about shopping around, but the cover seems to be okay with them and they're much the cheapest. I've no experience of claims however.

Edited by Jonkx
Word includes missing

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 06:40, Frankieboy said:

Morning all,

We use Towergate and allows for cover for personal possessions. i.e £xxx insured value of boat plus £yyy for PP total premium ZZZ.

Have you actually asked your insurers if they do the same?

Howard

Howard

On 13/02/2020 at 06:40, Frankieboy said:

Morning all,

I've been with Craftinsure for 12 years, Never had a claim and my premium is almost exactly the same as it was 12 years ago.  I can't say that for my house and car insurance though, so very happy with Craftinsure.

Premium is not everything. It is interesting to note that the Zurich policy (which appears under various names, including Craftinsure) is no longer on Agreed Value basis which has always applied to marine policies. I say this because I notice that GJW are advertising that they still offer Agreed Value so at least one underwriter is aware of how important this is in facilitating prompt settlement in the event of total loss.

58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Premium is not everything. It is interesting to note that the Zurich policy (which appears under various names, including Craftinsure) is no longer on Agreed Value basis which has always applied to marine policies. I say this because I notice that GJW are advertising that they still offer Agreed Value so at least one underwriter is aware of how important this is in facilitating prompt settlement in the event of total loss.

Since when ? That's not what it says on my Craftinsure policy.

Edited by Flyboy

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I did a brief search but renewed again with CraftInsure. They've always been easy to sort out, and when I read all the smallprint, they do cover me for £950 (I think it was, or somewhere roundabout that) for personal belongings, and their price still remains consistently low - £106.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1