Another series of lows and Storm Dennis

matty40s

Featured Posts

Unfortunately, hot on the heels of last weekends Ciara floods, from tonight sees a procession of low pressure systems latch on to the jet stream and hit the UK. 

Very heavy overnight rain tonight will also leave some snow in the North of England, and then another low comes Friday with more wet stuff.

Saturdays low pressure has been called Storm Dennis by the Met Office, winds will be quite bad, however, rain on already saturated ground will be the big threat. The storm seems to be stalling North of the UK on Saturday night and some areas of the SW, Wales and NW England could see 36 hours non stop rainfall.

Anyone on a river or river navigation should take steps to reach a secure area if possible, or take steps to allow your boat to rise and fall without going over banks/towpaths.

I do have to say that sometimes, the safest place is in a lock.?

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately, hot on the heels of last weekends Ciara floods, from tonight sees a procession of low pressure systems latch on to the jet stream and hit the UK. 

Very heavy overnight rain tonight will also leave some snow in the North of England, and then another low comes Friday with more wet stuff.

Saturdays low pressure has been called Storm Dennis by the Met Office, winds will be quite bad, however, rain on already saturated ground will be the big threat. The storm seems to be stalling North of the UK on Saturday night and some areas of the SW, Wales and NW England could see 36 hours non stop rainfall.

Anyone on a river or river navigation should take steps to reach a secure area if possible, or take steps to allow your boat to rise and fall without going over banks/towpaths.

I do have to say that sometimes, the safest place is in a lock.?

No more please, no more

Totally buggered our plans to bring our new boat home to Rufford. What with these storms and the closures on the Bridgewater, we have now given up and arranged to leave her in Great Haywood until the end of March. I guess that planning a 10-day cruise across 5 weekends in February was always stupidly optimistic.

First world problems, I know, but still disappointing.

27 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Indeed 

although if I didn't know otherwise, I'd have though Broad Cut on the C&H would be a safe place - it clearly isn't!

....and being in that lock would have been far safer than on the bollards, I've seen Kegworth flood lock on the Soar with just the railings visible.

28 minutes ago, matty40s said:

....and being in that lock would have been far safer than on the bollards, I've seen Kegworth flood lock on the Soar with just the railings visible.

Indeed, I'm not challenging your assertion

The point I'm making is the between Broad Cut Low and Broad Cut top lock, there are five more locks before the canal, which is about five miles long, returns to the river, and from Figure of Three there are three more locks. Without local knowledge one might expect it to be as safe as, say, the Trent and Mersey at Hassall Green. It feels like a canal, and yet it's still best to be in the locks in flood conditions on Broad Cut

I'm confused over the forecasting of storm Dennis, as they say the low pressure centre will stall north of Scotland but the winds seem to be relatively short lived compared to last weekend where it blew for 4 days. The 'hype' seems to have diminished a tad so winds will not be as bad as Ciara but as Matty said, the rain is going to be the worst thing for the midlands and south west.....so although the winds won't be as bad, the rain will make it more soggy so like lots more trees to blow down and significant flooding. The CRT have reported loads of trees down this week so that is only going to be worse. Keep away from trees!

I'm glad we are not on a river. Guess the Severn is going to be very bad by Sunday/Monday 

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I'm glad we are not on a river. Guess the Severn is going to be very bad by Sunday/Monday 

We had very heavy rain overnight, and I've just come down the Upper Severn valley on the train and it is totally waterlogged. Doesn't bode well for the weekend.

8 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Indeed 

although if I didn't know otherwise, I'd have though Broad Cut on the C&H would be a safe place - it clearly isn't!

Definitely, we are moored at Broad Cut and the River Calder became the canal and at 6.30pm we were 4ft above the towpath thank god for our scaffolding poles secured by brackets to the bollards when the levels dropped at 1am.

It also took out one of the Figure of Three locks above Horbury, smashed the offside wall to bits.

Expecting similar on Saturday oh Lordy. Scariest flood in our two years there.

Edited by RonnieF1967
  • Horror 1

Ah, really bad, and in the worst possible locations again.

Warning details for UK

amber warning, rain from Sat 15 15:00 (UTC) to Sun 16 15:00 (UTC)

amber
Amber warning
Rain
15:00
Sat 15

UTC
15:00
Sun 16

Regions and local authorities affected:

North West England
  • Greater Manchester
  • Lancashire
South West England
  • Devon
  • Torbay
Wales
  • Blaenau Gwent
  • Bridgend
  • Caerphilly
  • Cardiff
  • Merthyr Tydfil
  • Monmouthshire
  • Neath Port Talbot
  • Newport
  • Powys
  • Rhondda Cynon Taf
  • Torfaen
Yorkshire & Humber
  • North Yorkshire
  • West Yorkshire

Headline

Storm Dennis is likely to bring very heavy rain, flooding and disruption to travel over the weekend.

What to expect

• Homes and businesses are likely to be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
  • Fast flowing or deep floodwater is likely, causing danger to life
  • Delays and some cancellations to train and bus services are likely
  • Spray and flooding probably leading to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
  • A good chance some communities cut off by flooded roads
  • Power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses likely

Issued: 10:57 (UTC) on Thu 13 Feb 2020

Further details

Spells of heavy and prolonged rain are expected to affect parts of England and Wales over the weekend with a higher likelihood of impacts now expected in some areas. Around 20-40 mm of rain will fall widely with 50-80 mm likely across parts of northern and southern England. Over the higher ground of Wales and southwest England, 120-140 mm of rain is possible in a few locations. This rain is expected to fall across areas already wet from recent rainfall.

Wales is sinking fast, and most of the rain is coming overnight. The North has been spared so far, with not as much water as expected today, but it will get it overnight.

The Soar looked.primed and ready to overflow today, towpath at Syston underwater.

The River Usk is as high as I've seen it in South Wales with 8 hours rain still to come.

Screenshot_20200215-214657_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200215-220010_Maps.jpg